NYMC vs UCF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PlzSendHelp

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
NYMC
Pros
  • Older, more established school
  • Close to NYC with options to rotate in the city during clinical years (lottery system though)
  • Better opportunities for research
  • I really like the overall student vibes

Cons
  • ~$100K more expensive than UCF
  • Far from my family, but that isn't necessarily a major factor for me since I am used to living away from my family
  • High COL area

UCF
Pros
  • ~$100K cheaper than NYMC
  • Only ~30 minutes from my parents' house
  • Great vibe from school leadership
  • The weather is gorgeous, and I would love to live that Jimmy Buffett lifestyle

Cons
  • Located in FL (I'm concerned about how recent political decisions regarding gender-affirming care & women's reproductive health may impact medical education)
  • Rotations are all over the state, and I may have to move around a lot during 3rd/4th year
  • Rotations at HCA hospitals

Summary: Both schools have great match lists, which is good because I am completely undecided as to what specialty I am interested in and I don't want to go to a school that couldn't prepare me for the more competitive ones. I also am a huge fan of research and both schools have opportunities for that. My heart is saying NYMC, but my wallet (and my family) are pushing for UCF

Members don't see this ad.

Never underestimate the value of being near family.

Reactions: 1 user
UCF!

100K cheaper, better support group (family), and if you like the culture (students) there, 100% UCF is the option. NYMC may end up almost doubling that "100K more expensive" because of the really high cost of living compared to UCF's.

Reactions: 2 users
UCF!

100K cheaper, better support group (family), and if you like the culture (students) there, 100% UCF is the option. NYMC may end up almost doubling that "100K more expensive" because of the really high cost of living compared to UCF's.
And the weather, so UCF. OP, why do you think that your heart is saying NYMC?

Reactions: 1 user