NYMC Waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
He did not get the email....here's his post from the "NYMC Waitlist is Moving" thread on page 2

•••quote:•••Originally posted by johne:

Funniest thing?

I read all your posts about the recent email.
So I decided to call them from work since I didn't receive the email. I asked them how I could express my unabated interest even though I have another acceptance. They said write us an email. Things weren't looking good.

I also asked them when the waitlist will move. They said, "Not until next week."

Then one hour later my mom called that she received a Fedex from Valhalla.

Never give up hope!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John ••••

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
I did not receive an email notification before they sent me the acceptance. I did, however, send a strong letter of intent about a week before. I think that is what did the trick.

David

CTKN, looks like you have a good chance then, since you didn't get the email either! good luck!

Trowa, thanks for the reply.

Dra. Foxy, wow, this is really nice of you to provide info you know, cuz if i rem correctly, you're not even waitlisted at NYMC right?

trying, maybe you're right, maybe getting the email really is a bad thing? :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
c33: No prob :) I check threads for schools i always wanted to go to (I think I also stalk the Sinai thread :wink: )...all of my relatives live right near Valhalla and it would have been very convenient :( Oh well......

it's just too bad FOXY....

NYMC would have been a much better place if you went... :D

:( :( :( Waiting is just too stressful...I would LOVE to enjoy the rest of summer without having to make decisions that are iffy (concerning going to another school) since I'll always have to think "what if I get accepted at NYMC?"

BTW, Foxy you are the greatest :clap: I totally think that you'll need DSL (per your previous post) since you are sort of addicted to SDN :p

Guys,

I don't think getting that email was a good or a bad thing. NYMC was probably just updating those still interested in attending. This message was only sent to those who had another acceptance..Since Johne was just accepted this week to CMS, he maynot have shown up on the list.. (more proof that AMCAS is useless!) If anything..it should be a good thing..if NYMC was not in to us..they wouldn't have wanted to know if we still cared..right? :D :wink:

anyway...good luck to all.

Did any of you accepted people see a change in your status on the website that gave you any indication that an acceptance was mailed out. I am aware that many files were updated 6/6/02 but after that was there any change?

Mine still says "decision pending committee review" and I was accepted on June 13th.

I just checked my application status since some people may be interested and I was surprised when I saw "4/16/02 Decision letter mailed."
I don't know what that means since my decision came in June.
Otherwise there is no other indication of a recent decision.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wish i had some good news....

For those of you currently on the waitlist, was your letter kind of discouraging? I just notice that some schools make it sound like you accopmlished something by getting waitlisted but that wasn't the case with NYMC. Mine said they are unable to accept me now, but asked if I wanted to be waitlisted and to respond using the enclosed postcard. In otherwords it seemed a little like "sure, if you wanna be on the list, I guess we can put you on." I was just wondering if theirs was a tiered waitlist if not a ranked one or did all of you get the same letter.

My letter from NYMC was the same as yours...and I agree it was sort of ehh. My letter from SLU was way more encouraging about being put on the waitlist, but nonetheless, I think its all form letters...

I would definitely send letters of intent or more letters of rec. Since they don't rank their waitlist, it helps to let them know that you're definitely interested in attending their school.

Have people been calling thier office? I did a few times and can never get them to reference my file, they just say that the waitlist hasn't really moved yet but they expect quite a bit of movement. Has anyone hear anything different. Has anyone else sent in an intent letter? If so, have you heard anything since? What have people tried besides intent letters and recommendations?

I called yesterday, they said the waitlist is moving and that they letters out about once a week

bump...anyone get off recently?

Obviously, molybdenum, your impression is realistic and depressing. Earlier posts have brought to light the possibility of vast witlist movement, but as history slowly unravels, my mailbox remains empty.

Would it be premature to throw in the towel, then? Or has anybody else their heads up for impending good news?

...I just wanna go to medical school, dammit. I deserve it.

--sham this :rolleyes:

they say there will be "considerable movement yet"

3 cheers to being the squeaky wheel!

I just bumped this thread so I can enjoy the thrill of seeing it
slowly "drip" down the page. That's the gravity of presenting an issue nobody cares about. But I do. If you know something about NYMC, here's the place to say it. :p

I called the folks at NYMC today, and they gave me the "our waitlist is moving" song and dance. Then the lady said that we could hear from them until the last week of july at the perm. address on AMCAS.
neither encouraging nor discouraging info, I guess:rolleyes:

--Dance as if no one is watching...wear kneepads.

izz, i thought you were going to michigan state??

I am...unless i hear different from NYMC. there's a lot of things about NYMC that I prefer...but MSU is great too.

I know some ppl may look at this as me being greedy, but I've got to go where I am happIEST, ya know. I am sure that some ppl on this forum will agree with me...if I have a chance to be closer to fam. and open a cpl more doors of opportunity, then I gotta do it.

--DANCE!

:) :) :)

Wow. 7/17 and still no word.

I checked my email today, and i got 4 new messages! they were from radio shack, a bank lender, and two explicit websites.

THE DAILY GRIND. indecision. no closure. no resolution. explicit website solicitations.
.....my life is so annoying!

--sham this

Anybody? Any news since Thursday? I have a feeling this week will boast the most movement, if any at all. After this week, there's only a week left, and it seems logical that a school would have the decency to give students a week to get their acts together and change their lives completely.

...then again, it's more a function of student (in)decision than admissions' choice.

Molybdenum had a good point- has anybody been rejected from NYMC's waitlist yet? Don't be ashamed- believe us, we understand. Also, I called NYMC this morning and they said decisions are made until the last day in July.

I called just a little while ago- they said "to be honest, the deadline's coming right up- don't hold your breath."

I said thank you for the closure (no pun intended).

So what are you going to to Shamthis? I might be in your position this time next month?

1. reapply
2. sulk
3. drink beer
4. commiserate with unemployed people
5. torch my cornell degree
6. repeat steps 2-4
7. work

Originally posted by shamthis
1. reapply
2. sulk
3. drink beer
4. commiserate with unemployed people
5. torch my cornell degree
6. repeat steps 2-4
7. work

How was your Mcat score?
You are in the NYC area (cornell graduate)? I live in brooklyn but work in the city. I might be taking Kaplan over....if I don't apply to grad school first.

The biggest problem I have with no getting in is my family. Ever since I graduated in 2000, they've been asking when I will get into medical school. And I get depressed everytime. I don't want to feel like a failure but I can't help it. That's why I have to get in. I can't face them again this time next month.

I would have to retake the mcat if I am to re-apply to boost up my score(the only thing that held me back).
This sucks.

hey BushBaby.

I got a 30. I really don't know what held me back. Either way, I was held back. I will make the most of this next year. ANd I'll retake the MCAT too.

if I take a year off....any suggestions on what to do guys?

I want to boost my undergrad gpa (since I didn't worry about that before...I have to do it now...argh..) but technically I can't since I already got my B.S.
so what is better....post-bac or grad school?

any info on the "new" mcat for apirl 2003 or what we should be doing differently on the new mcat?

thanks all....

another md hopefully driven crazy by the waitlist

Originally posted by Molybdenum
Any of you guys thinking about DO or caribbean med school instead of taking one or two years off? you will become doctors earlier...

If an applicant has applied less than 3 times, I would recommend giving the allopathic route another shot if and when you are able to improve your credentials. I would talk to family members, fellow pre-meds, and pre-med advisors about what in your application needs work. Admissions offices from schools that rejected you may also be able to offer some insight, but are less likely to do so than the sources I just mentioned. I applied during my senior year of college with an August MCAT score <27 and not surprisingly received 0 acceptances and 1 late interview. So I started working and taking grad courses and retook the MCAT in April of 2000. I received a 29 and applied to 21 schools with a 3.62 undergrad and 4.0 grad GPA. I received 7 interviews, 2 holds for interview, and the rest rejections. I had to wait through all of the waitlist hell, but was eventually rewarded with 2 acceptances and just finished my first year at a top 50 allopathic school. So the final advice I would give would be:

1) Do NOT reapply until you have "fixed" what is weak in your application. An MCAT score of 30 is not really a weakness unless you have a low GPA, are aiming for top 10 schools, or are a CA resident (and even then plenty of CA ppl get in with that score or lower). An MCAT <27, GPA<3.2, lack of enthusiasm or positive attitude in interviews, weak letters of recommendation, etc. are problems that can be corrected. Like I said before, ask those around you for advice.

2)Don't assume that just because MD schools did not accept you that DO schools automatically will. DO schools are also tough to get into. I think you have to ask yourself if you would truly be happy being a DO and if you would be happy in the DO environment. Although I was planning to apply a third time to MD schools and was going to apply DO as well, I am truly happy to have been accepted to SLU and TUSM since I know deep down that I would never be happy out in Kirksville, Missouri with many people who are older and have kids. I think having kids is great and KCOM is a wonderful school, but I strongly prefer an urban environment with more cultural offerings and a large student population. Many DO schools are in a suburban/rural environment; just something to think about.

3) A Carribean school will NOT necessarily get you into a residency faster. Many Carribean schools will not give you time off to take the USMLE I and II, so you may have to take a leave of absence (or multiple leaves) to complete these exams, thus losing time. Also, you may have to jump through more red tape in applying to residencies and going on residency interviews than U.S. MD students, and some Carribean schools have 5 or 6-year programs for a regular MD. I would not go this route without giving it a great deal of thought.

GOOD LUCK! BTW, I noticed this thread b/c NYMC waitlisted and rejected me last year. I received my first acceptance on July 16 but did not bother to withdraw from NYMC's waitlist.

Hi

I just wanted to let people on the waitlist know that I have just emailed (also faxed) my withdrawal from the school today. So I would not be surprised if they called someone this very day to come to the school. It was a hard choice, but NYMC is a great school, so the best of luck to those waiting.

okay hi guys ive been following this thread for a while. i am also waitlisted at NYMC. I have some truth tales for you all unfortunately. I have some ties to NYMC and spoke with them. They over accepted this year and have more people than expected .. unfortunately i dont know how many over but i'm not sure if people withdraw that any of us highly deserving souls will get in!!!! Just wanted to keep it real for you all cause I surely feel everyone here and know how admissions can throw around a lot of bullsh_t and false hopes... hope everyone is keeping there heads up out there.

Originally posted by calipaww
okay hi guys ive been following this thread for a while. i am also waitlisted at NYMC. I have some truth tales for you all unfortunately. I have some ties to NYMC and spoke with them. They over accepted this year and have more people than expected .. unfortunately i dont know how many over but i'm not sure if people withdraw that any of us highly deserving souls will get in!!!! Just wanted to keep it real for you all cause I surely feel everyone here and know how admissions can throw around a lot of bullsh_t and false hopes... hope everyone is keeping there heads up out there.

this doesn't make sense considering that NYMC seems to have told everyone else who called that there has been some waitlist movement. Last year when there was no waitlist movement (except for 2 ppl at the very end) they told people that there was no waitlist movement. why would they lie to every applicant who doesn't have ties to NYMC? if they would do this it reflects very poorly on the school.

hey guys I dont mean to sound exclusive or whatever, but i have a family member who went to NYMC who knows admissions personel and they spoke with him yesterday saying that people over accepted this year . i dont know if that means that the class is too full or what ? meaning if people drop out will they accept another person? i dont think so. anyways the word from the admissions director was that movement was unlikely because of this. so in my mind its over now...