NYMC Waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Batman_formerly lamd

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any info on NYMC waitlist? They say it's unranked...but any truth to that? How many people get off the waitlist? When will it start moving???

Any info on NYMC waitlist is appreciated. Thanks all!

Members don't see this ad.

What can one do to increase your chances to get off the waitlist??

Additional letters of Rec.?
Additional EC activities?

money??

thanks all

There was a previous post with quite a discussion about the NYMC waitlist. Apparently, last year only 2 people were accepted for admittance off the wait list. This was not a typical year...usually more are admitted from the wait list. According to the last post, the number on the wait list is quite large,300+ is the number that has been batted around. If you have the time try to locate the last post-without the search function it's time consuming. NYMC states that their waitlist is unranked. Gower on Medicalgold has also stated it is unranked.

Members don't see this ad :)
bump

any info is appreciated since the search function is down!!!

Lamd I heard the exact same thing about the waitlist, last year only two people came off the waitlist. The following years had ore movement, but the fact that more people apply to med school every year, and a lot apply to NYMC, amke it that much more difficult to see any large amount of movement off their waitlist. I hope this year is different. I am not sure how it is ranked or if it is ranked at all. Did you call the school to inquiry about this?

Lamd I heard the exact same thing about the waitlist, last year only two people came off the waitlist. The following years had ore movement, but the fact that more people apply to med school every year, and a lot apply to NYMC, make it that much more difficult to see any large amount of movement off their waitlist. I hope this year is different. I am not sure how it is ranked or if it is ranked at all. Did you call the school to inquiry about this?

Actually, less people apply every year.

So, has there been any movement on the waiting list?

I'm kind of confused. I got these stats off the us news website early this application cycle (like in September): NYMC accepted 639 for a class of 185. Was that for a different application year? And only two people got accepted off the waitlist last year? or is it a rumor?

I know of two grad students from NYMC who were put on their waitlist and eventually admitted. They could not have been the ONLY two, I'm sure. I'm also waitlisted there and my guess is they'll take people who have ties to NY or to the school should they take anyone off the waitinglist.

Dunno... good luck.

i think they're late processing withdrawal letters because i withdrew from them over a month ago, but they kept on sending me information. i had to call them and finally e-mail them to make sure they get me off the list.

good luck

I heard more people from the doctor I interviewed with at NYMC. I guess he was trying to show me the growing interest in NYMC. He must of been full of it, anyway I hope you get accepted Lamb. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, just sent my withdrawl, best luck to all. Their is still lots of time left in the game.

BUMP

someone gots to have some insider info on NYMC...any takers????

why don't you guys try emailing carolyn chiarieri?

anyone know when NYMC starts? :confused:

i cant find the "orientation start date for schools" thread

Orientation starts August 5th.

i refuse to believe that no one has info on NYMC waitlist!!!!

calling the school is useless because they tell you nothing...

I hope to hear about NYMC waitlist movement as well.

I sent my withdrawal from the waitlist today. Good luck to those waitning to hear some love from NYMC.

Has anyone heard any news in the past week??

I called NYMC this morning and the guy told me that they have started reviewing people in the waitlist category. They will sent out overnight letters to those accepted. As it gets closer to Aug. 5th, they will start calling people. But as of now, it will be a letter in the mail. No, they have not made any decisions on the waitlist category, but it is definitely in the process. He also said that the admissions committee meets everyday to review the files.

thanks to all who have posted info on NYMC

please continue to post any new info

(I'm surprise there is so little info about them...other threads are like 20pgs long or something....)

Can someone help me? I feel a little panicked because I just checked my status online and it says:

06/06/2002 Decision Letter Mailed

I received the waitlist letter a few weeks ago and it's dated May 15, 2002. So could this decision letter be the waitlist letter? Maybe they just entered it into the database late? or could it be something else? Can they still reject after waitlisting applicants?

Thanks in advance!

•••quote:•••Originally posted by CTKN:
•Can someone help me? I feel a little panicked because I just checked my status online and it says:

06/06/2002 Decision Letter Mailed

I received the waitlist letter a few weeks ago and it's dated May 15, 2002. So could this decision letter be the waitlist letter? Maybe they just entered it into the database late? or could it be something else? Can they still reject after waitlisting applicants?

Thanks in advance!•••••I checked my status too and it said the same thing. I called admissions last Friday to inquire about it and the lady said they were just up-dating their data-base. @#$%!!!

Sigh....I guess we'll just keep waiting!

Hello all. I just want you to know that i received an admissions offer yesterday but I decided to decline it. I hope a spot opens up for one of you lucky people! good luck.

New Spot Opening in a couple of days.

This spot will go to the highest bidder.
Send a money order to Adam Kotowski
418 S. 44th St. APT B-1
Philadelphia, PA 19104

the fastest the money gets here the fastest I will get off the list.

:D :D :p
Just joking I'm dropping my acceptance. But money would be nice

AK

labrynth79

did they call you, email, or via snail mail let you know?

were you waitlisted?

thanks

batman: they did not e-mail me or call me (at least to my knowledge). I received their offer in the mail yesterday via express mail.

hmm...I don't know if I was put on a waitlist. I assume I wasn't since I interviewed on April 4th and my "10-week mark" was supposed to be this month (mid-june).

also, after you receive their offer, you have ONE WEEK to decide if you want to go there or not. After some heavy thinking, I decided to keep my offer from the Medical College of Virginia. But I am going to really miss all my fellow Californians (NY Med has a ton!)since Virginia has such a low # of out-of-staters. :(

again, good luck! If you have more questions, just let me know.

I interviewed March 25th but my good friend interviewed after me and got accepted two days ago. There is no coorelation between interview date and acceptance, or so it seems. In any case, my buddy is a good candidate and I am sure his interview went better than mine. Hope someone finds this useful.

I had previously posted that I was going to withdraw pre-decision, but I ultimately did not do that because I wanted to see if I could get in and I wanted to see if they would offer me any money if I did get in. Anyhow, it is true that interview date doesn't seem to correlate with acceptance offer. I interviewed ~April 15th, and I was informed that I was accepted on May 28th. Good luck to those who interviewed late and haven't heard back yet. It seems that interviewing late is not the "kiss of death", meaning that you are not interviewing for an automatic waitlist spot!

I interviewed on April 16th and was accepted on June 13th.

Can those that have been accepted recently, particularly off of the waitlist, tell us what your status page online said. Im sure it reflects after you accept or reject your offer, but is there any indication online that an acceptance was mailed?

I'm sure this question has been asked before, but how do waitlistees get pulled off the list if it's unranked?

Hey CTKN,

I was told yesterday that NYMC "randomly" pulls alternate files to review! So....I am thinking that unless you get lucky by being in that batch..you don't have much of a chance?!? :mad: :mad: I mean..how the hell can you randomly select a bunch of files from several hundred applicants without being unfair to the rest??? :( :(

By the way...did anyone get an email from NYMC this morning asking if you were still interested in their school? I did..and of course, I want to over analyze it to death! :D

Good luck guys!

I called this morning to try to update my mailing address since I just moved recently. I want to make sure i receive my acceptance letter if i get off the waitlist. But the lady on the phone won't change my contact info for me :confused: she said that i need to do it through AMCAS. yeah right, by the time it goes through AMCAS, I will probably have moved to another address. anyone have similar probs? how can you update your address with NYMC?

furthermore, how does everyone usually get through to talk to a live person? I usually press "2" - to schedule an interview...is there a better way to get through? so that i can talk to a more helpful admissions person?

Maple-I also got the email this morning, I responded, but I am nto sure what else to think about it....

I haven't received any e-mail that asks if I'm still interested. What does it say? Maybe I should call them....

c33: maybe if you just wait on the line for someone to pick up? 914-594-4507

I also received the email this morning. Hope to hear good news sooooon!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CTKN,

the email says:

Dear XXX,

In an effort to update our waiting list, we note that the multiple accept list indicates you have been accepted to another medical school. Please
let us know whether or not you would like to remain on New York Medical College?s wait list. Thank you and best of luck.

Office of Admissions
New York Medical College

AAMC ID: XXX

I withdrew my acceptance from NYMC today, I hope someone will hear good news from them. Good luck!!

I received the same email as c33 today.

I wonder if all the waitlistees got it, or if it's just a selected few?

Hey Everyone,

I'm so excited, I just received a fedex delivery from NYMC yesterday afternoon offering me a place in their class. From what it looks like, the list seems to be moving. Good-luck to everyone!!!!
David

can ppl let me know how long it took for them to hear from NYMC. I interviewed on april 29 and haven't heard anything. I know that they said 8wks, but considering that its late in the process, I thought maybe they would pick up the pace.
Also, any thoughts on if they are sending out any acceptances or if everyone is just getting waitlisted first.

Thanks all

johne also got fedexed an acceptance yesterday :)

Trowa, Johne and whoever else that got the fedex acceptance letter, congratulations!

I was wondering if you guys received the email mentioned above?

Good question C33, I was just about to ask that. Maybe getting the e-mail was not a good thing...