NYS License Transfer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmDSCCP

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Licensed pharmacist in South Carolina. When I took the NAPLEX in 2018, I purchased the score transfer option for a few states including NY. I have read that if you work a full year in another state you can become exempt from taking the NY wet lab exam. When looking at the NYBOP website, I believe it's listed under the "License Transfer" section. Does this mean that in order to bypass the wet lab I would have to apply/pay for a true license transfer or could I still use the score transfer option that I already purchased? From my experience with another state, when using the score transfer, you are still considered to be "licensed by examination," which would mean that I would have to complete all the requirements that new grads do. Just looking for some clarification. Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently going through the license transfer as well and I think you're right. Score transfer is cheaper, but it only covers taking the NAPLEX, so you'd have to take the compounding exam. As far as I know, the only way you can get out of the compounding is if you are or have completed a residency, and your RPD just has to send the board a notarized form saying you've completed it. If you go the score transfer route, you also need your school to submit proof of education. It's too late for me to do the score transfer, so I'm doing the license transfer and all I need is proof of at least 1 year employment and then pass the MPJE.

You need a license transfer through nabp and to reciprocate. Score transfer is 1. Too late, only good for a year, and 2. Would require you to take or waive wet lab through residency as mentioned above.

This is what we do with our pgy2 residents from out of state.