-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
NYS license
Started by braineddetermined
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
The requirements are outlined here.Is it true that NYS only gives your physician license ( after completing your residency in US) only if you’re a US citizen or a green card holder? What do all the other international medical graduates do then?
From the way your question is phrased, it sounds like you heard this from some dude. But the answer is: AMG/DO/Canadian grads can get a full license after 1 PGY year, all other grads need 3 years. This is more or less the standard throughout the US. Some states are a little different, but this is the most common plan.
The requirements are outlined here.
From the way your question is phrased, it sounds like you heard this from some dude. But the answer is: AMG/DO/Canadian grads can get a full license after 1 PGY year, all other grads need 3 years. This is more or less the standard throughout the US. Some states are a little different, but this is the most common plan.
Okay, I’m aware of that, but when I further searched about it, I found this:
http://www.visalaw.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/physicianchart.pdf
If you go to NYS it says: “To be a licensed physician in NY, an applicant must be a US citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident. This requirement may be waived for a three-year limited physician license to practice in an underserved area.”
I really doubt all those international doctors who go through their US residency in NYC then decide to practice in rural areas. Maybe they get licensed in another state and then go back to NY.
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You know who sets the rules about getting a license? The state. What some law firm's website says is immaterial.
But, if you want to drop a couple grand into Tennessee, for something you can get for free (minus the state app fee), then you do you.
But, if you want to drop a couple grand into Tennessee, for something you can get for free (minus the state app fee), then you do you.
Okay, I’m aware about that, but when I further searched about it, I found this:
http://www.visalaw.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/physicianchart.pdf
If you go to NYS it says: “To be a licensed physician in NY, an applicant must be a US citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident. This requirement may be waived for a three-year limited physician license to practice in an underserved area.”
I really doubt all those international doctors who go through their US residency in NYC then decide to practice in rural areas. Maybe they get licensed in another state and then go back to NY.
I just applied for my NYS license and don’t remember that being a requirement, but I could be wrong.
However, your last statement doesn’t make sense. You can’t get a license in another state and then use that license to practice in another state. So no, international grades aren’t getting licensed in other states and using that license to practice in New York. The only time that’s possible is if you work for certain federal agencies like the VA or Indian Health Service. In that case yes you can have a license from PA and work at an Indian Health Service location in NM.
I just applied for my NYS license and don’t remember that being a requirement, but I could be wrong.
However, your last statement doesn’t make sense. You can’t get a license in another state and then use that license to practice in another state. So no, international grades aren’t getting licensed in other states and using that license to practice in New York. The only time that’s possible is if you work for certain federal agencies like the VA or Indian Health Service. In that case yes you can have a license from PA and work at an Indian Health Service location in NM.
Thanks for clarifying. Are you also an IMG?
I should have expressed myself better with the latter statement, I was thinking more about reciprocity/endorsement ( after one has worked some years in that particular state).
Last edited:
In relation to this, as IMGs who are offered an H1B visa for residency, do they atleast need to get a Limited Permit right? And how long does it take??? By what I have read either J1 or H1B, will you need a limited permit from NYS Board right??
Anyone got experience for getting the Limited Permit for NYS? and How did it go and how long did it take?
Anyone got experience for getting the Limited Permit for NYS? and How did it go and how long did it take?
In relation to this, as IMGs who are offered an H1B visa for residency, do they atleast need to get a Limited Permit right? And how long does it take??? By what I have read either J1 or H1B, will you need a limited permit from NYS Board right??
Anyone got experience for getting the Limited Permit for NYS? and How did it go and how long did it take?
I think once the hospital applies for your H1B or J1 visa then you’re set for your residency. You don’t need a limited permit.
Here: NYS Medicine:License Requirements
“Please Note: Persons employed in ACGME-approved postgraduate training programs are not required by the New York State Education Department to have a physician license or limited permit to work in that program”
Last edited:
I think once the hospital applys for your H1B or J1 visa then you’re set for your residency. You don’t need a limited permit.
Here: NYS Medicine:License Requirements
“Please Note: Persons employed in ACGME-approved postgraduate training programs are not required by the New York State Education Department to have a physician license or limited permit to work in that program”
Thank you for your reply. I was wondering because one of the requirements for an H1B to be approved by USCIS is to have a Permit or License to practice medicine in a state you are to be employed or training in, which is why I am asking. Anyone ideas?
Most everyone needs a training license to be in training. They aren’t that difficult to obtain.Thank you for your reply. I was wondering because one of the requirements for an H1B to be approved by USCIS is to have a Permit or License to practice medicine in a state you are to be employed or training in, which is why I am asking. Anyone ideas?
Most everyone needs a training license to be in training. They aren’t that difficult to obtain.
Thanks. So, one would need a limited permit right? for H1B that is? or do J1 need a limited permit as well?
Thanks. So, one would need a limited permit right? for H1B that is? or do J1 need a limited permit as well?
They both need a limited permit, but really that’s not an issue.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 2K