NYU admissions people think NYU is a hard school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dddoch

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I asked them about the new requirement which says that of all the sections of DAT have to be at least 18.

They told me that NYU is a hard school to get into, and thus, such requirement shouldn't be a surprise.

I laughted.

Members don't see this ad.

I asked them about the new requirement which says that of all the sections of DAT have to be at least 18.

They told me that NYU is a hard school to get into, and thus, such requirement shouldn't be a surprise.

I laughted.

Although I don't believe it's a great school, it actually is hard to get into as many students are using it as a back-up school (students with great stats). You'll find that the scores of matriculating students are generally and significantly higher.

BTW, it is "laughed" without a 't' (don't know if that was intentional).

Members don't see this ad :)

I laughted.

Where is this requirement stated?

yea the admissions person told me the same. and one from llu told me that i need at least a 20 across the board to be considered. :confused:

20 across the board? God help us...

I laughted.

dddoch (aka douche):

NYU, just as every other dental school, is hard to get into. I think you will be very surprised when the next ADEA Guide comes out.... there are MANY schools with lower DAT averages than NYU.

If you're going to troll, at least get the facts straight and learn how to spell. You come off as a bloody idiot in each and every one of your posts.

jb!:)

dddoch (aka douche):

NYU, just as every other dental school, is hard to get into. I think you will be very surprised when the next ADEA Guide comes out.... there are MANY schools with lower DAT averages than NYU.

If you're going to troll, at least get the facts straight and learn how to spell. You come off as a bloody idiot in each and every one of your posts.

ouch! :laugh:

i didn't even know about that requirement..... i already applied with a 17 on one section... i guess that was a waste of money!

I laughted.

That requirement seems ambitious, considering predents lists the average PAT as 17.8.

Well...duh, of course a school representative is going to tell you that their institution is competitive, hard, glorious, etc. They have a reputation to uphold. Even if they never had the reputation of being a tough school, that gives them even more incentive to sell their school as being hard, etc. Common sense, people.

does this new rule that every DAT section (including PAT) must be at least 18 apply to wait listed 2007 applicants?

Members don't see this ad :)
seems to me like NYU dental school is really trying to upgrade themselves. they're bringing in the dean from UCSF and trying to raise the entering class stats. NYU's medical school, after all, is among the top tier schools nationwide, so maybe dental is trying to follow suit.

i've always like NYU dental and i'd like to attend there. i really think their only negative is the cost of tuition and cost of living. people also commonly cite their large class size as a downer, and im sure it might be for people who wouldn't be able to get through a dental school curriculum without steady personal attention from the faculty and staff. but i don't think it would bother me all that much.

dddoch (aka douche):

lol:laugh:

Jack, hilarious I almost fell off my chair. I think someone should respond to him the same way after every one of his stupid posts.

yea the admissions person told me the same. and one from llu told me that i need at least a 20 across the board to be considered. :confused:

yeah the llu thing is correct the guy i interviewed with told me that and i thought to myself what the heck am i doing here.

What are the cost differences between NYU and UCSF (out of state) including living expenses, etc.?

i dont think you are rite about the llu thing cuz i just got invited and why would htey waste their time on me? my math score is below 20

I spoke to one of the admissions reps and she said 17's across the board.

I laughted.

This may be old news, but predents.com shows many NYU interviewees with sub-18 scores in a variety of DAT sections. I saw a 15 in RC, several 16's and 17's in QR, a 17 in PAT, etc.

Hoping these stats are accurate, since I've got a 17!

Theres like 4 people on predents interviewing with a 16 QR in NYU and even more with a 17.

People has to realize DAT is only a part of their decision. Yes, good DAT score helps. A relatively low score of DAT in a trivial section will not shoot down your chances of interview.

I don't see why it wouldn't be a "hard school." Dental school is tough!

dddoch (aka douche):

Ha!

I laughted.

Truly a tradegy. I runneded over to my roommate and showded him this pour spelling and grammer. He blinkeded his I's all confuseded. But the mistake is yours's not mines's. I have other things to worry about, like getting admitteded to dental school

I'm a D1 at NYU...I can't vouch for how hard it is to get in, but everyone here seems to have been in or near the top of their class at whatever college they attended. I'm pretty sure it'll be the same at any dental school. The new dean is awesome, the curriculum is TOUGH, faculty is surprisingly good (all are native english speaking), and contrary to belief, they actually care about every student. It's freaking hard, but I love this school so far.

I'm a D1 at NYU...I can't vouch for how hard it is to get in, but everyone here seems to have been in or near the top of their class at whatever college they attended. I'm pretty sure it'll be the same at any dental school. The new dean is awesome, the curriculum is TOUGH, faculty is surprisingly good (all are native english speaking), and contrary to belief, they actually care about every student. It's freaking hard, but I love this school so far.

Then they are either

1) Lying
or
2) Went to a god-awful undergraduate college

No offense, but if the average incoming GPA of an NYU student is a 3.29, then this means either every student accepted had a 3.29, 99% of students had a 3.5 and 1% had a less than a 2.0 average, or there was a fairly even distribution of slightly over 3.29's and slightly under 3.29's, with a smattering of very high GPAs and very low GPAs. Which do you think is most likely? I'm willing to bet the last guess, in which case, most of the class were barely B+ students... hardly top students at my school, nor any other I'd imagine.

NOTE: This isn't meant to bash NYU or their students, just to point out that their is some major ego-stroking and lying going on if most students are claiming they were the top-dogs at their undergrad. A 3.29 won't even get you cum laude at graduation.

Then they are either

1) Lying
or
2) Went to a god-awful undergraduate college

No offense, but if the average incoming GPA of an NYU student is a 3.29, then this means either every student accepted had a 3.29, 99% of students had a 3.5 and 1% had a less than a 2.0 average, or there was a fairly even distribution of slightly over 3.29's and slightly under 3.29's, with a smattering of very high GPAs and very low GPAs. Which do you think is most likely? I'm willing to bet the last guess, in which case, most of the class were barely B+ students... hardly top students at my school, nor any other I'd imagine.

NOTE: This isn't meant to bash NYU or their students, just to point out that their is some major ego-stroking and lying going on if most students are claiming they were the top-dogs at their undergrad. A 3.29 won't even get you cum laude at graduation.

I think Z just meant that our class is accomplished and competent, not that people are ACTUALLY walking around the college telling others about where they ranked in undergrad., etc. It is very different on the inside. People aren't walking around sizing each other up. People have been very friendly and there is a strong sense of class cohesion. I am very confident in my school and my class. Sure we have plenty of people from ivy's (I have met two people who were accepted at Penn but passed it up), Amhurst (the "ivy" liberal arts schools like Bryn Mawr, Swarthmore, etc.), Stanford, NYU blah blah but they would be pretty big asses to walk around talking about it. I haven't met ANYONE with this kind of attitude. There is a universe of difference between the "word on the predental street" and the actual situation at NYU. I have ZERO worry about failing out or not receiving enough support. There are so many professors/staff I know I could go to right now with any concern I might have. My only worry is meeting the difficult acedemic expectations they have for me.

Here is some info. that may be helpful when trying to decide if NYU is for you: NYUCD stresses evidence based dentistry which may seem obvious but it seems that some dentists practice the way they do because "that is they way they were taught". They want us to think for ourselves and be sophisticated consumers of dental literature. NYU seems to feel very strongly that dentists are "oral physicians". The mouth is becoming an increasingly important diagnostic tool of an individual's greater health. NYU predicts that if dentists don't step up to the opportunity that this presents than internal medicine will and it will be a very big missed chance. NYUCD students are required to treatment plan with implants (although I don't believe this includes the placement of implants). NYUCD students are certified in invisalign. This may not be a huge deal but my brother (a non-NYUCD grad) says that he is asked about invisilign everyday in his practice. NYUCD has, I think, three of the cerec style CAM/CAD machines. One is the new powderless model. The price difference between NYU and other private schools is not as big as many believe. Upenn's tuition is higher than NYU's. USC's overall budget is higher. Tufts/Temple out of state will save you about 40k over 4 years which, I don't believe, is significant enough to be the major determining factor in which dental school you should attend.

Good luck.

So does NYU truly run by their 3.1 GPA cut off and 17 across the boards deal?

And if 3.1 is the GPA cut off, how is it that the average for the last entering class was a 3.23?? They MUST have admitted people under 3.1 for that to be somewhat logical, as I'm sure a majority of the people that applied there did not have a 3.23...

Under requirements, it listed a GPA of 3.1, but it's not a static cutoff - it's more an average to show what is competitive. Not explicitly stated as what it represented, but I like that their admissions office fields all phone call inquiries, even during this hectic time.

Under requirements, it listed a GPA of 3.1, but it's not a static cutoff - it's more an average to show what is competitive. Not explicitly stated as what it represented, but I like that their admissions office fields all phone call inquiries, even during this hectic time.

oh okay, that makes things better, i guess. I thought it said you needed a minimum of 3.1 and the average was 3.2...but i mean, hopefully they don't just cut off at 3.1