NYU Class of 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BigRedPingpong

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok people,
Let's get aquainted. I'm 99.9% sure I'll be going. Anyone else?

Members don't see this ad.

what did Tezzie do to deserve all this man? she seems like a nice woman.

Originally posted by DoctorKevin

:laugh: Yeah, BigRed really went to town on her.

Members don't see this ad :)
lol. I think BigRed is funny.

Originally posted by DoctorKevin

Well, if I told you, you would probably not believe me. So, how about I just refer you to SDN's search function. Type in "tezzie" in the member's name box. Read the posts and you decide for yourself. I no longer comment about her.

Originally posted by BigRedPingpong
Ok people,
Let's get aquainted. I'm 99.9% sure I'll be going. Anyone else?

Here's the deally mcdeal...

I'm trying to decide between Einstein and NYU. I'm accepted at Einstein and listed at NYU. But given that NYU's list moves quickly, I may have to make this tough decision (basically on the phone) over the summer if NYU accepts me. The thing is though I love Einstein's buildings, library (gorgeous!), gym, dorms, awesome new lecture hall, study abroad opportunities, ECHO, medical Spanish, etc. BUT I'm not all that jiggy with the location in the Bronx. The ONLY thing I like about NYU is the location in Manhattan. NYU's medical library is something to laugh at, and dorms are "time to get the shower sandals out to go down the hall" type of deal - nasty. So, my question is: Would you choose a school if everything except the location is awesome OR would you choose a school based SOLELY on location?

waiting get fin aid packet, but almost sure will be there.

go to the school u r happy at man, it sounds like einstein is the place for you... nyu for me.

---haha how quickly things change

Originally posted by Chirurgien
Here's the deally mcdeal...

I'm trying to decide between Einstein and NYU. I'm accepted at Einstein and listed at NYU. But given that NYU's list moves quickly, I may have to make this tough decision (basically on the phone) over the summer if NYU accepts me. The thing is though I love Einstein's buildings, library (gorgeous!), gym, dorms, awesome new lecture hall, study abroad opportunities, ECHO, medical Spanish, etc. BUT I'm not all that jiggy with the location in the Bronx. The ONLY thing I like about NYU is the location in Manhattan. NYU's medical library is something to laugh at, and dorms are "time to get the shower sandals out to go down the hall" type of deal - nasty. So, my question is: Would you choose a school if everything except the location is awesome OR would you choose a school based SOLELY on location?

I'm not sure what you love about einstein's buildings. Care to elaborate? They looked like ugggg to me. As for study abroad--NYU has that and some more. You didn't receive the brochure about that? Dorms at NYU-- You could get a spot at GH instead of rubin. Einstein's gym was no more impressive than NYU's. Besides NYU has NYU UG's gargantuan of a gym to use.

I'm pretty sure i'll be at nyu and i'm totally psyched about living in manhattan. the few students i saw said they loved it and seemed very excited. i interviewed on a saturday so i didnt get much of an impression--is the library that bad? is nyu a bad place to go??

I?m trying to get going on the honors program finding an investigator to work with. Anyone else doing this program?

BUMP. Fellow NYU acceptancees, notice that there is a band of MSSM acceptancees ganging up on us in another thread. We need to stick together and thwart their attacks!

Why so little enthusiasm for NYU around here? I'm trying to ramp up my excitement level a bit, as a recent flurry of waitlist letters have forced me to think seriously about attending NYU. The more I consider it, the less I'm motivated to harrass my way off a waitlist. I work in Bellevue, and I think that both the hospital and the surrounding neighborhood are about as good as it gets for med school. What's more, NYU's curriculum seems to strike a reasonable balance between the extremes offered at, say, Columbia and Cornell. So why are so few people thrilled by the prospect of attending NYU?

einsteins location is as good as it gets - for being outside of manhattan. no tolls to manhattan, most students have a car. tons of jewish holidays. food is cheep. social life kinda sux.

NYU- no need for a car. pass fail. more out of state residencies

Hi guys, I'm 95% sure that I'll be at NYU next year. Hopefull I'll see all of you there~!

A-bian cheated! F those green bastards.:mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I'll be there if they pull me off the waitlist. Remember to pray for me in your spare time. Thank you.

Originally posted by dabenxiong
I think it's too early to say who the loser is.

pan blues combined two candidates from the previous election and still could not beat a-bian. a-bian seemed to do something right w/in last four years.

i am not into the parties. but if somebody is doing something right, why doesn't he deserve to serve for four more years?

agree with exmike. pan blues need to throw the towels!!

Originally posted by Rocky888
NYU had a absolutely sick match this year. Far better than MSSMs....

You're entitled to your own opinion, but when you compare it to the MSSM list and take into account that MSSM has 1/2 as many students basically, you might change your mind:

(credit goes to liquidMagma for posting this in the MSSM thread)

ANES:
Columbia

DERM:
MSSM

EMERGENCY MED:
NYU-Bellevue

ENT:
MSSM
U. Maryland
Yale

MEDICINE:
BI-Deaconess
Brigham and Womens
Cornell
Cornell
Cornell
Columbia
Columbia
Mass General
Mass General
U. Penn
Stanford

NEURO:
Cornell
Columbia

OB-GYN:
Brigham and Womens

OPTHO:
U. Penn

ORTHO:
MSSM
Columbia
Penn. State

PSYCH:
Columbia
Cornell
Mass General
Yale

RAD-DIAGN:
Mass General
Mass General
MSSM
MSSM
MSSM

RAD-ONC:
Memorial Sloan Kettering
Dana-Farber/Brigham/Harvard

SURGERY:
Cornell
Stanford
UCSF (Prel)

UROLOGY:
UCSF

Originally posted by fuzzylogic
pan blues combined two candidates from the previous election and still could not beat a-bian. a-bian seemed to do something right w/in last four years.

i am not into the parties. but if somebody is doing something right, why doesn't he deserve to serve for four more years?

agree with exmike. pan blues need to throw the towels!!

exactly! pan blues shouldnt start political unrest - if anything for the sake of the country. storming into courthouses is not the way to show you can run a country.

Originally posted by Rocky888
NYU had a absolutely sick match this year.

I'm assuming you mean "sick" in the "ill/badass" sense rather than the normal physician "unpleasant" sense?

On another note, other than the assassination attempt, I'm not exactly up to date on my Taiwanese politics. Anyone care to elaborate?

Wow! Congrats to both the students at MSSM and at NYU. Those are some impressive matches. I get a kick out of the little rivalry between the schools. They're both awesome and in close proximity to one another. I'd be happy to get into either of them... wait, I already did!!!

I've still got a decision to make, but I'm really excited about NYU. Is anybody else interested in their Honors program?

I am almost 100 % sure that I will be going to NYU next year; does anyone know if we can move in a little bit early into Rubin Hall (say sometime in late July) just to look around and get a feel for the city? Also, I am wondering if anyone knows of a good way to ship things up to New York from South Florida or just say screw it and start all over in regards to the stuff in my room like bed, tv, sound system??

ramster,

They furnish the bed, desk, and I think bookshelf. You're on your own with the tv. Sound system?... :eek:

hey super rob, i'm trying to do the honors program too. i'm trying to set up something for this summer but it seems difficult to communicate with researchers before med school starts if you don't already live in nyc. how are you going about setting up a project??

not a clue, but I'm in the process of contact the program director. I'll let you know what I find.

does anyone have a link to the actual NYU 2004 match list?

ramster said:
does anyone have a link to the actual NYU 2004 match list?

i have the match list, but i'm not sure if it's actually posted online...

can anybody tell me the difference between a prelim year and a transitional one?

Alright all you NYU acceptees - strictly numbers - do I have a shot at an interview at the fine institution that accepted you?

MCAT = 30Q - 11 VR, 8 PS, 11 BS - 3.4 cum undergrad GPA from Carleton college, 3.1 BCPM there also, 40 credits or so of 4.0 paramedic school at a community college that (I think) will get added into the cum GPA and make me look better at first glance.

krebse said:
Alright all you NYU acceptees - strictly numbers

This is definitely like deja-vu all over again!

Well funny you say that, because next year I am convinced will be a STRICTLY NUMBERS game. With them moving to AMCAS there will be a FLOOD, maybe even a TIDAL WAVE, of applicants and as a result, it will become even more "number-centric." My guess is that your numbers will get you through the first or second screening but if you'll get an interview... no one knows. Eitherway, next year is going to be a tough application cycle. The same story applies to Columbia but of course it'll be even higher "numbers."

bump- where's my class at?

You know NYU got the "student" body that rocks the party!

Let me know if anyone in NYC needs to sublet their apt from early-mid June to the first week of august.

Anyone know what the financial aid at NYU is like? I heard its pretty horrible and that NYU is pretty stingy with the grants... I'd love to choose NYU but the FA package is the thing that worries me most.

Hey there future classmates!

I just came back from NYU second look (for URMs) and the school is awesome. The clinical training at Bellevue seems unparalleled, the faculty are really tight with the student body, and there are TONS of opportunities there. (I am 95% sure I am going to go here, I just want to check out the other second-look weekends to be sure.)

Anyway, I went to UCLA for UG and live in NYC currently. I am 27, took some time off after undergrad working and getting my MPH. So far, I think I want to go into OB/GYN...

What about you all? Can't wait to meet you!

I'd like to see some responses to An Yong's question above before making any decisions...but I did love NYU when I was there...