NYU Dental Hygiene program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DDSinmaking2018

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am planning to apply for dental hygiene program at NYU before I apply for dental school. (Because of my sGPA) I am confused about their prices.. Their website says 12-20 credits is about $26,654 and total credits needed for graduation is 78, but someone mentioned it costs $170K and up for two years. Is someone here studies at NYU or have a certain information about their costs? Your help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Do a masters program not a dental hygiene program

Reactions: 2 users
Hello,
I am planning to apply for dental hygiene program at NYU before I apply for dental school. (Because of my sGPA) I am confused about their prices.. Their website says 12-20 credits is about $26,654 and total credits needed for graduation is 78, but someone mentioned it costs $170K and up for two years. Is someone here studies at NYU or have a certain information about their costs? Your help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance

I was in similar situation/ dilemma about two years ago with trying to raise my GPAs showing to admissions that I am committed dentistry. I looked into getting a dental hygiene degree because it can improve my GPA and give me more clinical experience. But thankfully after talking to several admission counselors, I chose to do a 1 year formal Post-bacc program that costs less than 10K. I reapplied this cycle and have been accepted to two schools, waiting to hear from other two. I really believe that you should look into SMP or post-bacc instead. If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me. I am happy to answer more questions.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Do a masters program not a dental hygiene program
Reason I'm thinking about hygiene is that if dental school will not accept me (which already happened once..) i'll have a career to pursue in the future.

I was in similar situation/ dilemma about two years ago with trying to raise my GPAs showing to admissions that I am committed dentistry. I looked into getting a dental hygiene degree because it can improve my GPA and give me more clinical experience. But thankfully after talking to several admission counselors, I chose to do a 1 year formal Post-bacc program that costs less than 10K. I reapplied this cycle and has been accepted to two schools, waiting to hear from other two. I really believe that you should look into SMP or post-bacc instead. If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me. I am happy to answer more questions.
Thank you for your reply and congratulations on being accepted to dental school! Did you re-take your DAT or just did a 1 year post-bacc program? I want to have a profession in case dental school rejects me again..

Thank you for your reply and congratulations on being accepted to dental school! Did you re-take your DAT or just did a 1 year post-bacc program? I want to have a profession in case dental school rejects me again..

The thought of not making it to dental school was exactly why I was considering hygiene too. But I learned that many applicants went through at least two application cycles before getting accepted. I did retake the DAT but ended up with similar scores. So just spend one year doing upper level science courses and talk to an academic advisor to improve your application. Retake dat, aim for 20-21 with 3.3-3.4 gpa and apply broadly, I am sure you will get in somewhere. Again these are just from my experience, I am not sure what exactly your situation is like. But good luck with any decision you make!

The thought of not making it to dental school was exactly why I was considering hygiene too. But I learned that many applicants went through at least two application cycles before getting accepted. I did retake the DAT but ended up with similar scores. So just spend one year doing upper level science courses and talk to an academic advisor to improve your application. Retake dat, aim for 20-21 with 3.3-3.4 gpa and apply broadly, I am sure you will get in somewhere. Again these are just from my experience, I am not sure what exactly your situation is like. But good luck with any decision you make!
Thank you for a great respond! Congratulations and good luck to you too!

Why do It at one of the most expensive hygiene programs?...

Their website says 12-20 credits is about $26,654 and total credits needed for graduation is 78, but someone mentioned it costs $170K and up for two years.
This is absolutely ridiculous! Does NYU have no shame?! And yet...people will still attend.

I can’t wait for the higher education bubble to burst. It’ll be satisfying to watch programs shut down.

Big Hoss

Reactions: 1 users
This is absolutely ridiculous! Does NYU have no shame?! And yet...people will still attend.

I can’t wait for the higher education bubble to burst. It’ll be satisfying to watch programs shut down.

Big Hoss
I don't think they have lots of interest though.. Not only hygiene program their dds program is overpriced as well

There are hygiene programs in north jersey/outside of the metro area in NY that are like 8k a year, if you are set on pursuing hygiene, please don’t overspend

I knew someone who went to the hygiene program at NYU. She and her classmates struggled to find enough patients for their boards.

Do you have any info about pricing in NYU? or if there is any chance to ask? it will be greatly appreciated..

There are hygiene programs in north jersey/outside of the metro area in NY that are like 8k a year, if you are set on pursuing hygiene, please don’t overspend
Thank you for your respond. And Yes I agree NYU is overpriced!!