NYU Destroyer~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

visbimmer79

Cornellian
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello? I just want to open a new thread about our popular dental school NYU. I hope this thread can be also helpful to people who are seriously considering NYU.

1. When do you have board I test? (D3 yr correct?)

2. Do you guys think test & courses are not staggered, but efficiently working?

3. What kinds of tests do you have at NYU? (Mid-terms, finals only? If so, do you have the exam study period for final? Is final test comprehensive? Or final tests are conducted for each class?)

4. What is your board exam average(estimated) and pass rate?

5. What are good things and bad things about NYU?

6. How is your digitalized curriculm actually working? You guys never have to take notes? You guys think you are learning what is really important instead of tons of useless info & knowledge?

7. Do you feel comfortable at school & NYC? (During everyday life!) Why?

Members don't see this ad.

Let's see what I can do with these questions for you...

1. When do you have board I test? (D3 yr correct?) You enter clinic in May immediately following D2 year and over the summer your clinic responsibilities recede a little to give you time to study for an August test.

2. Do you guys think test & courses are not staggered, but efficiently working? I'm not sure what you're asking here. If by staggered you mean start and stop at random times then yes, that's what we have? The end of the semester doesn't mean the end of a course. And some courses start in the middle of a semester. I think it works well because it packs the most work into a more manageable schedule.

3. What kinds of tests do you have at NYU? (Mid-terms, finals only? If so, do you have the exam study period for final? Is final test comprehensive? Or final tests are conducted for each class?) It's different for every class -- most of the big ones have more parts to the grade than a midterm and final. Quizzes, lab, etc. Most finals are cumulative and, at least in the D1 year, are given together as one big comprehensive exam (to mimic the boards). You get a one week reading period to study for this six-hour exam at the end of the fall and spring semesters.

4. What is your board exam average(estimated) and pass rate? Don't know the avg score but the pass rate I heard last was around 98%. Same for part 2.

5. What are good things and bad things about NYU? I like the size. There are so many more students to interact with and, as a direct result, that many more faculty. Every professor has his or her own little trick. I also like that we're in New York -- the patient population here is amazing. If you put in minimal effort you shouldn't have any problem getting the experience to become a competent dentist. A bad thing about the school is that it is currently in the process of reinventing itself -- and has been for a couple years. This means curriculum changes and such which don't always work out the best. But I also kind of love that NYU is progressing.

6. How is your digitalized curriculm actually working? You guys never have to take notes? You guys think you are learning what is really important instead of tons of useless info & knowledge? Umm... I take notes in every lecture? The recordings are the same thing that's been done by individuals with little hand recorders in lectures since the 70's except now it's centralized. I guess you could learn by listening to the lecture over and over without taking notes, but I only use the recordings if I missed something and need to go back. I think we learn just enough to perform well on the boards. If you think that's useless information to becoming a dentist don't come here.

7. Do you feel comfortable at school & NYC? (During everyday life!) Why? For the most part. You have to watch your stuff -- some people have had stuff disappear -- but that's what you get with so many people running around an 11 floor "hospital". Outside of the school, it's New York. If you're a 5'2" female, don't go running through central park after dark. Otherwise, it's pretty safe here. Be smart and you'll be fine.

Hope that helps!

To begin with, thanks for your participation. WOW! :thumbup:

2. Do you guys think test & courses are not staggered, but efficiently working? I'm not sure what you're asking here. If by staggered you mean start and stop at random times then yes, that's what we have? The end of the semester doesn't mean the end of a course. And some courses start in the middle of a semester. I think it works well because it packs the most work into a more manageable schedule.

Is it unque feature of NYU curriculum? Most importantly, what do you mean when you said the end of the semester doesn't mean the end of a course. Do you mean a course in one semester is continued in the following semester sometimes?

8. Do you think it's not easy to be relaxed or laid-back at NYUCD? I mean there are many students, so I am imagining everything is rushed. (Going to a lecture room and getting a seat, being distracted during clinical trainings, having difficulties in asking help or advice during lab and pre-clinical studies) ---> Btw, I know you guys are divided into several groups for your training.

9. I want to ask if any of you guys can tell me the survivor tips at NYU. (Things not to do, things you guys are regretting, things u guys recommend to do, things u guys want to do or change)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

Is it unque feature of NYU curriculum? Most importantly, what do you mean when you said the end of the semester doesn't mean the end of a course. Do you mean a course in one semester is continued in the following semester sometimes? :confused:

8. Do you think it's not easy to be relaxed or laid-back at NYUCD? I mean there are many students, so I am imagining everything is rushed. (Going to a lecture room and getting a seat, being distracted during clinical trainings, having difficulties in asking help or advice during lab and pre-clinical studies) ---> Btw, I know you guys are divided into several groups for your training. :scared:

9. I want to ask if any of you guys can tell me the survivor tips at NYU. (Things not to do, things you guys are regretting, things u guys :idea:recommend to do, things u guys want to do or change)

Plz can't anybody complete my survey for me to be able to continue~? :rolleyes:

Is it unque feature of NYU curriculum? Most importantly, what do you mean when you said the end of the semester doesn't mean the end of a course. Do you mean a course in one semester is continued in the following semester sometimes?

8. Do you think it's not easy to be relaxed or laid-back at NYUCD? I mean there are many students, so I am imagining everything is rushed. (Going to a lecture room and getting a seat, being distracted during clinical trainings, having difficulties in asking help or advice during lab and pre-clinical studies) ---> Btw, I know you guys are divided into several groups for your training.

9. I want to ask if any of you guys can tell me the survivor tips at NYU. (Things not to do, things you guys are regretting, things u guys recommend to do, things u guys want to do or change)

I don't know if it's a unique feature of NYU, but I like it. It allows us to spread the wealth of information around so we're not stuck with 20 finals in the last seven days of a semester.

8) It's very easy to be relaxed. There's always plenty of seats so no reason to rush around. You can always find an instructor to give advice in lab on whatever you're doing. If you know we're divided into smaller groups, what makes you think that means we're rushed??

9) Dental school in general is a marathon. You'll figure stuff out as you go along -- depending on what's important at the time. But stay on top of your work -- there's no such thing as cramming in dental school. Too much information.

I don't know if it's a unique feature of NYU, but I like it. It allows us to spread the wealth of information around so we're not stuck with 20 finals in the last seven days of a semester. /quote]

May one course at NYUCD not end within a semester, but continue to the next semester? :confused: :eek: (I guess the answer must be "no")

Are there any possible disadvantages due to the large class size compared to other dental schools? (Btw, I recently realized NYUCD has 300+ dental students from yr2 - During my interview)

I think people should find out if those disadvantages really matter for themselves.

First, we have to know what are possible disadvantages......next we have to make our own decision for ourselves........that's my purpose of this thread!

Actually, many rumors stem from the fact that NYUCD has the largest class size.

Last edited:
May one course at NYUCD not end within a semester, but continue to the next semester? :confused: :eek: (I guess the answer must be "no")

Some courses last 1 semester, others last a full 2, other courses start at the beginning of one semester, then end in the middle of the next semester. Some course start in the middle of a semester and end in the middle of the next semester.

Basically, depending on the course, there are no set start-stop times. There are semesters, but they really do not determine the start and end of classes.

You guys think you are learning what is really important instead of tons of useless info & knowledge?

Every dental school teaches tons of useless info and knowledge. Without it, you would fail the boards unfortunately.

Every dental school teaches tons of useless info and knowledge. Without it, you would fail the boards unfortunately.

Hm...that's not the answer I originally wanted to hear.

Anyway, I can understand what you want to tell me.

I got the answers for a few of the previous questions.

Here are the new questions. :)

Are there any possible disadvantages due to the large class size compared to other dental schools? (Btw, I recently realized NYUCD has 300+ dental students from yr2 - During my interview :eek:)

I think people should find out if those disadvantages really matter for themselves.

First, we have to know what are possible disadvantages......next we have to make our own decision for ourselves........that's my purpose of this thread! :idea:

Actually, many rumors stem from the fact that NYUCD has the largest class size.