NYU Housing costs... current students help plz..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentwannabe

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, I plan on starting at NYU this coming fall. Now I just got the graduate housing information paper in the mail and it says $6420-$7825 for a private room (shared bathroom). That sounds like a great deal to me for NYC. So why in the world does it say in the financial aid info that $17,000 will be spent on living expenses?? Also, I thought the price was higher last year. I remember reading the packet last year (a friend's) and it said around 10,000 for a shared STUDIO. Did they just reduce their housing rates???

NYU 1st year students, ur input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'm planning on NYU next fall as well...

$6420-$7825 is the cost for a private room (shared bathroom) for one semester.

$17,000 is the estimated cost for off-campus housing for an entire year.

I'm planning on NYU next fall as well...

$6420-$7825 is the cost for a private room (shared bathroom) for one semester.

$17,000 is the estimated cost for off-campus housing for an entire year.

Okay, thanks.

But I'm 90% sure last year I read on a friend's information packet that it cost 10,000 for a shared studio. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Members don't see this ad :)
i think thats referring to the undergrad campus housing...
if ur in d-school, ur put into the 26th st housing, and tahts 18k (at least it was in my yr)
dont quote me since i dont live in the dorms, so i may be incorrect...
the majority of my classmates in the dorm plan on living htere for 1 yr so they can be near the school and make friends, and then go out and find a 2-3 br apt with them the next year...

i think thats referring to the undergrad campus housing...
if ur in d-school, ur put into the 26th st housing, and tahts 18k (at least it was in my yr)
dont quote me since i dont live in the dorms, so i may be incorrect...
the majority of my classmates in the dorm plan on living htere for 1 yr so they can be near the school and make friends, and then go out and find a 2-3 br apt with them the next year...

Ohh yeaa.. I need to read more carefully. It says thats the price for ONE SEMESTER. So for ONE YEAR, it would be twice that, which comes to about 17k-18k.. you're right. thanks.

Hey :smuggrin:
My friends 3 of them in 2005 used to share a single bedroom apartment in waterside very close to NYU which costed them $2600/month.And studio room is around $1900.That is the standard rate in apartments closer to nyu as far as I know.:sleep:

Hi i was looking into the nyu dorms and it says you cant move in until like aug. 29 (i think it was) but we have orientation aug. 20... so does anyone know what happens in that in between time? I emailed housing and they told me to contact nyucd but ive just been too lazy. just wondering if anyone knew...thanks

this new york, you can live for a year off 10,000. its around 20,000 that you will spend a year here. and thats not including your subway rides and food, which in that area of the city is crazy expensive.

yea... this living expenses thing has really put me in depress mode...

yea... this living expenses thing has really put me in depress mode...
talk about depress mode. Are all nyucd students millionaires? or are 5 people sharing a one bedroom apartment? I have no idea where to live next fall. Thats basically my only concern with nyu. Current students please tell your secrets!

Can someone tell me when NYU Dental students typically move in (I saw orientation was in August, but maybe there's a summer program)? I live really close to the school and may be interested in having someone take over the last two months of my lease (June and July) with a possibility of renewing. Would there be any interest in this type of arrangement, or is it too early?

EDIT: apartment is 2-3 blocks from the dental school

Sadly the secret is student loans.
yeah but looks like with what they've assigned for housing there is no way you can get a place, I never had roommates. I did some search and couldnt find a place close (walking distance), not even a studio for 1500 a month!

I'm going to look in Brooklyn and Hoboken.

Hi i was looking into the nyu dorms and it says you cant move in until like aug. 29 (i think it was) but we have orientation aug. 20... so does anyone know what happens in that in between time? I emailed housing and they told me to contact nyucd but ive just been too lazy. just wondering if anyone knew...thanks

Our orientation is Aug. 20 and classes begin on Aug. 27. The housing department said that we would be allowed to move in earlier so we can be there for the entire orientation period.. don't know any more specifics, other than that.

if you dont mind a 40-45 minute commute, one of the cheapest options is to live in jersey city... there are 2 bedroom apts near the grove st PATH station (the nicer part of JC) going for 1200-1500... if u want to live in a big apt building, tru 1 bedroom apts go for that same amt...
im livin in JC during my D1 year and it takes me between 35 and 45 minutes to get to class each day, depending on how long i wait for the PATH train (usually runs every 6 minutes) and if i take the crosstown bus (from 6th ave-2nd ave) or walk... it's pretty much the same goin to school from hoboken and brooklyn, and its definately cheaper than hoboken (might be cheaper than brooklyn too- i've never checked for the rates there)...
if ur a party animal or stay at the library late and dont get back to the apt till 12-1am... u'll have to add like another 15 min to the commute b/c the route changes and the hoboken stop is added to the route...