NYU Interviewees...Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kxb4777

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How are you guys approaching the possibility of answering a current events question?

I know the best way is to read up on the news and keep CNN on 24 hours. Any other tips?

Also, it seems as if they might ask if we've heard of any stories of NYUCD in the news...I've checked the website but they don't seem to have many resources to look up. Any advice?

Also, I'm interviewing the Sept. 24. Anyone else there that day?

Members don't see this ad.

It might sound obvious but I would use the internet it is easier to know whats going on at a glance.

Last year I had a buddy who was asked what countries boarder afganistan, and to approximate the number of casualties from the "war on terror". I think they just wanted to know how he would respond rather than if he knew the exact info.

Here's my two cents for what it's worth. I interviewed at NYU last year and got asked nothing about current events. In fact they didn't ask me about anything really we talked about swimming most of the time, hahaha. But other students said they got asked all the typical questions. So I don't know what to tell you as far as what you can expect from NYU.

Members don't see this ad :)
I asked a good friend of mine interviewed there last year on what to look out for. He told me to pray not to get the clinical psychologist. The student who lead the tours told him he had seen a few people walking out of their interview in tears. I am not sure if he was joking, but he looked serious.

Other than that, he coughed up a few of the questions he got :

Why NYU ?
Do you think you can make it in NYC ? Seems you are from a small town.
What do your parents do ?
I see you have family who are dentists and a member of your family is an alumnist here. Did they influence your decision, and how ?

Nothing really off the radar. But really, keeping up with current affairs is an individual choice. If you want to feign it, here are my favorite few:

1) drudgereport (fairly conservative)
2) the economist (somewhat conservative)
3) BBC - the brits just do it better

My guess is that the way you respond is of primary importance, and they might just be checking to see that you don't exist in a small bubble.

I asked a good friend of mine interviewed there last year on what to look out for. He told me to pray not to get the clinical psychologist. The student who lead the tours told him he had seen a few people walking out of their interview in tears. I am not sure if he was joking, but he looked serious.

Other than that, he coughed up a few of the questions he got :

Why NYU ?
Do you think you can make it in NYC ? Seems you are from a small town.
What do your parents do ?
I see you have family who are dentists and a member of your family is an alumnist here. Did they influence your decision, and how ?

Nothing really off the radar. But really, keeping up with current affairs is an individual choice. If you want to feign it, here are my favorite few:

1) drudgereport (fairly conservative)
2) the economist (somewhat conservative)
3) BBC - the brits just do it better

My guess is that the way you respond is of primary importance, and they might just be checking to see that you don't exist in a small bubble.

I had him last year in my interview - and I got in. But it was seriously the hardest, least relaxed interview I ever had - but if you know why you want to go to dental school - I mean REALLY know why, then you should be OK. He may end up asking you questions that you never even thought about and you have to be ready to answer them. I'm also guessing that if he likes you in the interview then you're in, because he's pretty tough.