NYU Neuro?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ForensicPsych

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi,

does anyone know about the neurology program at NYU? i saw the ranking of NYU and it's around 44, and i don't see people really mentioning the program there....it's just that it's a bit surprising b/c NYU has quite a good rep when it comes to other departments.

any info would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

does anyone out there know anything about the NYU neuro program??

NYU is a very good program if your goal is to be a well-rounded general neurologist. One thing that the program lacks is much exposure to critical care neurology however there have been many residents in years past who have gone on to prestigious fellowships in neuro-critical care.

The program rotates through 3 different hospitals all within 10 blocks of each other and the caseload is busy but manageable and residents have much time to study and pursue with their reading. The call schedules is outstanding....most weekends are off, even for juniors, unless one is on-call. for PGY2 residents call is approximately q6-7. For PGY3 residents call is approximately q8-10. For PGY4 residents, call is taken from home; occasional PGY4 residents taking call from home have to hold the peds-neuro pager too.

All the residents are very happy with the program, have lives outside of neurology and all residents get along with each other and cover for each other. All the residents view themselves as being part of a family and interactions with faculty are always very congenial and friendly. As long as one isn't lazy, he/she will love the program!

Members don't see this ad :)
But don't NYU residents cover Bellevue? That can't be pretty....

i am willing to put the long hours into the program. but as far as competitiveness, how hard is it to get into NYU compared to the other schools in NYC?

Yes, NYU covers Tisch hospital, Bellevue and the VA medical center. Yes, Bellevue and Tisch are both very busy but there are enough residents in the program to sufficiently cover the workload without feeling overwhelmed. The best part of the program is Bellevue, in my POV, because of the amazing pathology you see and because of the independence you have in managing your own patients without private attendings breathing down your neck.

You learn the most at Bellevue, in my POV.