NYU or BU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NYUorBU

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which one would you choose? Which one is easier?

Members don't see this ad.

The tuition is exactly the same...its living expenses that differ...[/

I still say BU is a better school, don't assume one school is easier over other.
NYU living cost is very expensive.

Members don't see this ad :)
The tuition is exactly the same...its living expenses that differ...[/

I still say BU is a better school, don't assume one school is easier over other.
NYU living cost is very expensive.

A school where your endo requirement is 1 root canal which cann be done either on an extracted tooth or even a typodont is nowhere near MY list of good schools.

In order to graduate from BU, you are required to complete 1 root canal. You are not required to perform this on a person; you can perform it on a simulated mannequin. The majority of my friends that graduated a few years ago never performed a root canal procedure in real life. The problem BU's DMD program has is a serious shortage of patients, so they have had no choice but to reduce/eliminate the RCT requirement.

Nonetheless, do not get the false impression that the low quotas at BU make the program easy. From my experience they fill in the void with lots of nonsense busy work. The lack of patients will drive you crazy, to the point that students have to pay their patients to treat them so they can meet their graduation quotas on time. On top of that, there's about 100 department-specific operatories, but 300 clinic-eligible students, so you get to fight with your classmates for chairs. In short, the predoc treatment clinics are way too overcrowded (by a factor of 2) and the school has way too few patients (by a factor of 4).

Last edited:
In order to graduate from BU, you are required to complete 1 root canal. You are not required to perform this on a person; you can perform it on a simulated mannequin. The majority of my friends that graduated a few years ago never performed a root canal procedure in real life. The problem BU's DMD program has is a serious shortage of patients, so they have had no choice but to reduce/eliminate the RCT requirement.

Nonetheless, do not get the false impression that the low quotas at BU make the program easy. From my experience they fill in the void with lots of nonsense busy work. The lack of patients will drive you crazy, to the point that students have to pay their patients to treat them so they can meet their graduation quotas on time. On top of that, there's about 100 department-specific operatories, but 300 clinic-eligible students, so you get to fight with your classmates for chairs. In short, the predoc treatment clinics are way too overcrowded (by a factor of 2) and the school has way too few patients (by a factor of 4).

wow, incredible.

wow, incredible.

What Dentite said is just the cliff notes, the tip of the iceberg if you will. It's all about the cash. This whole city is corrupt as #!@$, why would it stop at the doors of a private school. If I could do it over I would not be sending this message from Boston. Wanna get ripped off and not learn %@$, go to BU. Better yet, and I mean this, pursue a different profession. Unless of course your one of those little turds whose parents pay for their dental school....then by all means enjoy. BU is packed tight with spoiled little whining, self absorbed turds that have never really seen the light of reality and the real world. If your classmates don't drive you to the edge of insanity the school itself sure as hell will. Good luck. I love dentistry but this school made me hate it. What else do you need to hear? Go to school somewhere else, anywhere, seriously. The school is a %$# hole and their are ready to add a $100 million plus addition to the back of it...mabye if your lucky you can go there and spend the next few yrs being pissed off in a construction zone. The other night i got trashed and looked for time machines on the internet....didn't pan out, but i never give up. Take me back to 2006, $%@ would be different right now. Keep this number in your head....if you plan on taking max loans for school and living expenses your going to be looking at about 350 -400 K in total debt with interest when you graduate. Don't say no one ever warned you....this place blows...go somewhere else. Why would I lie?

giggitty :sleep:

I don't know how the school can afford a $100 million building project - it's the second time I've heard this info. With the dental school they are building in Dubai, the fact that BU has increased enrollment 50% with the same facility while nearly doubling tuition in just 10 years, and the rediculously high fee schedule; compared to the fact that they can't even afford to supply their students with basic necessities like burs in the clinic or curing lights for pre-clin, or hire more faculty to address the severe shortage of clinical instructors and staff; I just don't see how they can afford it. Rase the tuition of one of the most expensive dental schools at an even higher rate? Increase enrollment even more, making it more overcrowded? Charge more than private practice to be worked on by students?

Second, the school doesn't even have enough patients for every student so how would they sustain an expanded school? Even fewer patients for each student? Lower the graduation requirements even more? Understaffed faculty spread thinner?

This whole extension thing seems like pie in the sky and not grounded in reality. It sounds like the dean is intentionally blowing smoke up the exit of your digestive tract to neutralize the complaints about their school, while conveniently making the school's program look very healthy with a bright future.

I'll just take it as an admission from the school that their clinical facilities are significantly overcrowded. There is only one answer and it is very simple, but tough to swallow: decrease enrollment by 30-50%, until the patient pool has doubled; then the facility could be expanded (or better yet relocated) and enrollment increased.

People never quite understand that the shortage of patients at BU is a huge problem. I've never heard of another school that has this issue, and it's really bad at BU. It's so bad that when our patients need a crown or denture but cannot afford it, the student almost always picks up the tab and pays for the treatment because there is such a shortage of patients you will risk not graduating on time. The bigger the bill, the happier the student is to foot the bill. And no, that is not ethical and violates the ADA code on the Dr/patient relationship. The faculty know it, I've even had open discussions about it with some.

So if you're going to go to BU, you need to budget an extra few thousand dollars to give to your patients so you can operate on them and hopefully graduate on time.

It's so bad that when our patients need a crown or denture but cannot afford it, the student almost always picks up the tab and pays for the treatment because there is such a shortage of patients you will risk not graduating on time.

:eek:

Most everything stated on here about BU is exaggeration and misinformation. Is it hard to get patients sometimes? Yes. Was I able to graduate without ever paying a patient? Yes. Did I graduate on time? Yes. The addition will happen, just like it happend over at tufts. The School in Dubai has already been built, several years ago, unless they are increasing the size or something which would be news to me.

Its just like every other dental school. You have a select number of people who will constantly whine and cry about everything. I had friends that did the exact same thing. And guess what... they all got into specialty programs. So i guess the school can't be too bad if you are getting into specialty. Every school sucks at times, but its what you put in to your education is what you get out.

Do people graduate doing very little endo? Yes, but i can also say that i completed quite a bit of endo, including molar endo. And i didn't pay my patients for it either.

BU is probably the only school that will go out of their way to make sure you succeed. If you have to repeat a year because you are having trouble, they will help you, instead of kicking you to the curb like other programs.

By no means is BU perfect, but don't let the biased opinions of someone doing poorly in their program to sway your opinion. Go see the school for yourself. NYU has flaws and perks as well.