NYU or Temple?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

srr84

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so far only been accepted to NYU and Temple, and the Temple deposit deadline is coming up soon... any advice on which one to choose?

Members don't see this ad.

srr84 said:
so far only been accepted to NYU and Temple, and the Temple deposit deadline is coming up soon... any advice on which one to choose?

I would choose Temple because they have really good clinical program plus price tag is small. It is a small difference in tuition but living expenses is a big difference. Plus, there is no way I can live in New York, metro city is big no no for me. NYU is also good clinically but I would choose Temple. They have very laid back enviornment in the school and students were really freindly when I interviewed there. I didn't get accepted to Temple but I was accepted to NYU.

srr84 said:

I would definitely choose Temple for the following reasons: Smaller class size, great clinical experience, good school reputation and cheap cost of living as well as tuition. I think anyone coming out of dental school with $300,000 loan is in deep trouble!
Good Luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't you do all your own lab work at Temple? That is something that should be a serious factor in any decision. From my understanding, Temple is a great clinical school that puts out extremely competent general dentists, but a significantly greater portion of your time at Temple will be devoted to tedious lab work which could detract from other academic pursuits such as actually studying for dental school tests and your national boards. It's a tough decision, but don't underestimate how much time doing your own lab work will consume. Some students hate, while others love it. Could be a long four years if you are one of those that hate it.

I would go for NYU.
I've heard they have an awesome clinical program. Living in New York City is not for everybody i assume. People who like big cities, like me, it's a chance of a life time.
Larger class sizes is definitely a heartbreaker.

I didn't apply to Temple so I don't have the luxury of making this decision in real life.

I had to make a decision between NYC and Philly and Im not denying that NYC is NYC.....but by going to one of the most expensive dental schools in the world, do you think you'd be able to enjoy everything that NYC has to offer cause NYC is a very very expensive city to do ANYTHING in.

By the way, Philly is a great city....much much better than I originally thought it was gonna be.....the city centre is great, its cheap to live in, and has everything that a big city usually offers! I grew up in Toronto (4th largest city in North America) and I was worried about going to Philly cause Im a big city type of guy....but I have no regrets living in PHiladelphia!

Temple is much less expensive if you consider cost of living besides tuition. On the other hand, NYU is in NYC.

Tuition is more or less the same. The cost of living is much higher in NYC.
I've never been to Philly.

Dr. Badvibes, can you comment on the amount of labwork at Temple?

there are pros and cons with both big and small classes, just keep in mind : )

I for one could never stand a class of 40 people where everyone is up in your business, no room for breathing, no new people, and easily taken attendance! One of the best things I like about NYU is that you can pretty much never go to the lecture classes and do just fine.

Vitae said:
Dr. Badvibes, can you comment on the amount of labwork at Temple?

Im just a sophmore but from the seniors Ive talked to, they said its definitely a bitch..........it definitely should be put under the "cons" of Temple, but it shouldnt be your deciding factor.....if you dont like Temple for other more significant reasons than fine....but denying TEmple solely on labwork is ignorant. (keep in mind that at ALL schools you'll still do labwork...but at Temple and a select few other schools you do ALL your labwork)

phremius said:
One of the best things I like about NYU is that you can pretty much never go to the lecture classes and do just fine.

HAHHAHAHAHA.....umm, hate to break it to ya bud, but this applies to EVERY school.....I couldnt remember the last orthodontics lecture I ever went to....

its like undergrad....they dont take attendance and they dont care if your at lecture or not....

phremius said:
there are pros and cons with both big and small classes, just keep in mind : )

I for one could never stand a class of 40 people where everyone is up in your business, no room for breathing, no new people, and easily taken attendance! One of the best things I like about NYU is that you can pretty much never go to the lecture classes and do just fine.

Phremius, how are the girls at NYU??? That's going to be my main deciding factor. :laugh:
I seriously want to know the answer to this question though.
And also, how far is the beach from Manhattan?

Dr.BadVibes said:
HAHHAHAHAHA.....umm, hate to break it to ya bud, but this applies to EVERY school.....I couldnt remember the last orthodontics lecture I ever went to....

its like undergrad....they dont take attendance and they dont care if your at lecture or not....

wrong bucket, certain schools take attendance.

drengineer said:
Phremius, how are the girls at NYU??? That's going to be my main deciding factor. :laugh:

girls are pretty damn good I would say, though class-cest is a whole nother can of worms.

Dont' plan on a surfable beach if that's what you're getting at. I'm not that NYC-literate by any means but my kiteboarding days are now only for vacations back in CA.

drengineer said:
LOL. Having a DDS, you can pretty much get chicks anywhere. Just go to a school you enjoy. However, being from NY, there should be a higher concentration of HOT chicks in general though ^_^

thanks for all the input it really helped=)

Yeah, thanks everybody for encouraging me about the chicks at NY. and also for the DDS :)

Pretty sad you need 'D.D.S' attached to your name to get girls.

From everything I've heard, Temple is a phenomenal school with a great clinical program. The only bad things I hear are related to the area of Philly where the school is located. NYU is known for high attrition and I wouldn't be surprised if you have a harder time talking to professors, etc with the rediculously large class size. No offense to those at NYU, but from everything I've ever heard, I'd go with Temple. I'm not sold on the idea that NY has the monopoly on beautiful women.