NYU or Temple

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dentite99

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I was very fortunate to receive acceptances from both NYU and Temple. I am a PA resident and really liked both schools (although a def. edge to NYU's facilities). I am sure others are in my position and It's not an easy one. Being a PA resident, NYU would prob be ~100k more, so does the tech and facilities make it worth it? money is always a factor.
Apparently Temple is upgrading the clinics and lecture halls. Is there a great difference btw. them academically?clinically?
What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think another thing to consider aside from technology is class size/amount of chairs available to the students/student to faculty ratio (ability to get individual attention and help?) In these aspects, Temple, IMO, shines over nyu. I got into both too and they're both amazing schools in their own unique ways. I can't get past NYU's tuition/cost of living and the amount of students. If NYU kept the class size to like 150 or something, it would have been my top choice.

In my opinion, this isn't something I wouldn't even hesistate about. Temple, all the way. Not only is it a great clinical school, its MUCH cheaper. Yeah the area around campus is crappy, but you can choose to live in the nicer parts of the city or other popular places amongst students/young professionals. I think when you factor in cost of living, the difference is well over 100K if you are in state (I think its roughly 50K/year vs 85K @NYU ) . And that is A LOT of money once you account for interest in the long haul.

For a savings of 35K/year*4 years=140K. With 7% interest @20 years, thats another ~200K interest paid totalling ~340K! Thats a nice rainy day fund right there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Those numbers are highly exaggerated DrDDSman..

I'm in your exact same situation, PA resident as well, and I'm leaning NYU. Go to the place where you feel you'll be most successful, and happiest. You can't put a price on life experience and your own happiness. I know I'll probably get flamed by all of the SDN cheapskates out there, but money is never everything. Yes, of course it's a consideration, but money is not everything.

I'm in your exact same situation, PA resident as well, and I'm leaning NYU. Go to the place where you feel you'll be most successful, and happiest. You can't put a price on life experience and your own happiness. I know I'll probably get flamed by all of the SDN cheapskates out there, but money is never everything. Yes, of course it's a consideration, but money is not everything.

:thumbup: +1

I would have to disagree with you. Im out of state and factoring the cost comparison, Temple is roughly 100,000 cheaper according to cost of attendance. Yes NYC is a great city to live in, but Philly is also a really good city outside of the neighborhood Temple is in.

Anyone know after you're first year will OOS student be able to claim residency and get instate tuition?

Hi everyone. I was very fortunate to receive acceptances from both NYU and Temple. I am a PA resident and really liked both schools (although a def. edge to NYU's facilities). I am sure others are in my position and It's not an easy one. Being a PA resident, NYU would prob be ~100k more, so does the tech and facilities make it worth it? money is always a factor.
Apparently Temple is upgrading the clinics and lecture halls. Is there a great difference btw. them academically?clinically?
What do you guys think?

Temple's facilities will most likely be equal to or better than NYU's pretty soon! Didn't Brian show you the new ortho clinic and let you vote on the new chairs?! Looked amazing!

I would have to disagree with you. Im out of state and factoring the cost comparison, Temple is roughly 100,000 cheaper according to cost of attendance. Yes NYC is a great city to live in, but Philly is also a really good city outside of the neighborhood Temple is in.

Anyone know after you're first year will OOS student be able to claim residency and get instate tuition?

I'm from the area so I guess I'm a little biased, ready for something new. East Falls/Roxborough is nice, but it's not all that great. As far as in state goes, I doubt it, I go to undergrad out of state and it is next to impossible to get residency without jumping through hoops in most states.

I know money should never be the ONLY thing, but I will say that every dentist I've talked to and/or person in the field (and have heard from others) keeps on saying ...keep the money in your pocket. Barring some huge difference in education, which I don't think there is, 100k is a HUGE amount of money.

First of all, I know money is not everything, second of all I am not a cheap skate. I (as I'm sure most other future dental students) want to make an educated decision on my future investment (aka dental education)

Highly exaggerated? I think not. I would say my original figures were more conservative than liberal. See for yourself.

Straight from NYU's website: http://www.nyu.edu/dental/financialservices/tuitionfeesexpensesdds.html

From Temple's website: http://www.temple.edu/bursar/about/tuitionrates.htm The cost of living isnt factored in here, but you can assume less than NYC (or the same, if you'd like). Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here.

Do the math, numbers don't lie. We're not talking 30-40K (which in my opinion is negligible when comparing tuition). In the end its your decision, and yours alone, but there are a bunch of factors that you should be mindful of.

Like I said, money isn't everything, but it is a huge part of our every day lives. Do you really want to be stressed out AFTER you finish arduous dental studies to make sure that you are making enough to cover loan payments, rent/mortgage, insurance, car payments, utilities/bills etc and have a little left over for savings?

In the end, whichever route you chose will lead you to become a dentist. But its for you to decide how you'll go about it. Just my two cents, good luck to everyone!

What do you guys think?
No matter how high tech the facilities are, you should still be able to afford to go to that school.
Besides, almost all US Dental schools have decent facilities, with some slightly more high tech than others. But that will have a very minor impact on your education (if any).
So, ask yourself this question "Which school can I afford, without being in dept too much?" and you should know where you'll be spending the next 4 years of your life.

thank you for everyone's response. I really have a hard time justifying the 100k, but at least I have some more time before laying down the deposit.

First of all, I know money is not everything, second of all I am not a cheap skate. I (as I'm sure most other future dental students) want to make an educated decision on my future investment (aka dental education)

Highly exaggerated? I think not. I would say my original figures were more conservative than liberal. See for yourself.

Straight from NYU's website: http://www.nyu.edu/dental/financialservices/tuitionfeesexpensesdds.html

From Temple's website: http://www.temple.edu/bursar/about/tuitionrates.htm The cost of living isnt factored in here, but you can assume less than NYC (or the same, if you'd like). Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here.

Do the math, numbers don't lie. We're not talking 30-40K (which in my opinion is negligible when comparing tuition). In the end its your decision, and yours alone, but there are a bunch of factors that you should be mindful of.

Like I said, money isn't everything, but it is a huge part of our every day lives. Do you really want to be stressed out AFTER you finish arduous dental studies to make sure that you are making enough to cover loan payments, rent/mortgage, insurance, car payments, utilities/bills etc and have a little left over for savings?

In the end, whichever route you chose will lead you to become a dentist. But its for you to decide how you'll go about it. Just my two cents, good luck to everyone!

Well then you just don't know very much about the reality of banking if you think a dentist is paying a 7% loan for 20 years.

Glad to see SDN will be a new generation of impoverished dentists. OP, good luck with your decision. I haven't made mine yet either, so maybe I'll see you where ever.

Well then you just don't know very much about the reality of banking if you think a dentist is paying a 7% loan for 20 years.

Glad to see SDN will be a new generation of impoverished dentists. OP, good luck with your decision. I haven't made mine yet either, so maybe I'll see you where ever.

Its just an example, sure you can refinance after you graduate, but the fact of the matter is that there is a huge cost difference with a little (to no) added benefit of attending a more expensive school. Both are good schools in great cities which will allow you to accomplish your goal. Good luck at wherever you chose OP.

Living in Murray Hill in NYC is a privilege that very few are afforded. Living in North Philadelphia is a fate many can't escape. You do the math.

Living in Murray Hill in NYC is a privilege that very few are afforded. Living in North Philadelphia is a fate many can't escape. You do the math.

Who said you HAVE to live in Murray Hill? Lots of dental students live in Brooklyn. Who said you HAVE to live in North Philly? Lots of dental students live in Center City. You do the math

The OP needs to also see if the location of Temple's school works for him. I don't think everybody would be comfortable, and it would be a big change for some.

I know the area well and North Philly is pretty grimy, but I'm not bothered by it. I currently live in Brooklyn, so I would be commuting to NYU and therefore the rent difference btw. the two cities is somewhat small (although I'd prob get more space/$ in Philly and live in center city).
I do think both schools would give me a great education, but I do prefer NYC to Philly, however I think I'd be happy at both schools.
I've literally been switching decisions back and forth every day.
I appreciate everyone's input, as I know a lot of you are prob. going through similar decisions.