NYU or USC???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yeabuddy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im a NY resident and received acceptances to both NYU and USC. Just interested to know from the students their opinions on which school they recommend and why. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

would u rather live in LA or NY?
do u like PBL or prefer traditional lectures?
both schools are expensive, usc i believe has a higher tuition (pretty lame,since you're teaching yourself) but living expenses are much less because it's located in the slums; manhattan is expensive

^^just a few things to consider

would u rather live in LA or NY?
do u like PBL or prefer traditional lectures?
both schools are expensive, usc i believe has a higher tuition (pretty lame,since you're teaching yourself) but living expenses are much less because it's located in the slums; manhattan is expensive

^^just a few things to consider

USC. Weather is soooo much better than the east coast.

Members don't see this ad :)
definitely would pick cali

I went to USC for undergrad and go to NYU for dental school. :D And I also debated between the two for dental school like you!

If you like the PBL program at USC and would like to spend the same money for basically not having any teachers, you should go there. I hated hated hated that and thought they were still working the kinks out of their program so I chose NYU.

NYU is a much tougher school but I'm super happy I came here instead of USC. There is so much more substance to NYUCD than USCSoD.

Personal opinion of course though. Good luck with your decision!! :)

Im a NY resident and received acceptances to both NYU and USC. Just interested to know from the students their opinions on which school they recommend and why. Thanks.

man, the weather in california is soooo much better. i dont know about you but my mood and studying habits improve when the day is longer. as far as PBL, who needs lectures anyways? in basic science classes, students do not attend anyways because they use the time to study on their own. then after year one you get the dental school classes; it depends on the school whether these are mandatory or not, but either way, like basic science classes, you're better off using the daytime hours to study as opposed to attending lectures. have you ever been to california? the beaches and the long mild eternal summer alone should make you choose USC......

Ok this is my most sincere opinion:

If NYU were located in los angeles I would turn down harvard to go there. It is simply one of the finest schools. The only reason I would consider going to SC is my family but you already live in NYC so come on go to NYU. How could you possibly decline such a nice school? Besides I am sure NYU will not be that expensive for you.

I wOULD SAY nyu is good as NYU has lot of patients flow and you get vast experience in treating patients.:luck:

I am in the class of 2009 and I would not recommend USC. Many students have trouble getting patients, graduating on time, and it is very expensive and very unprofessional. Plus students have a lot of difficulty learning all the procedures and I am worried that by when I graduate I will only be a dent of some basic trades, not all trades. Private message me for details.

As far as I know, in many schools (with the exception of those with small classes), you can skip lectures. As for PBL, they usually take attendance on those. Furthermore, the general consensus (of people that I know) is that PBL sessions are even more of a waste of time than lectures.

man, the weather in california is soooo much better. i dont know about you but my mood and studying habits improve when the day is longer. as far as PBL, who needs lectures anyways? in basic science classes, students do not attend anyways because they use the time to study on their own. then after year one you get the dental school classes; it depends on the school whether these are mandatory or not, but either way, like basic science classes, you're better off using the daytime hours to study as opposed to attending lectures. have you ever been to california? the beaches and the long mild eternal summer alone should make you choose USC......

As far as I know, in many schools (with the exception of those with small classes), you can skip lectures. As for PBL, they usually take attendance on those. Furthermore, the general consensus (of people that I know) is that PBL sessions are even more of a waste of time than lectures.

PBL attendance is more or less mandatory and what you heard does not surprise me.

I also attend SC dental and I thought I would add another view of this great school. I have zero regrets since I made the decision to attend here. As you know, the objective of the first 2 years (pre-clinical years) of all dental schools is to prepare it's students for the part 1 boards, and most importantly to be ready to treat patients in the clinic. USC does both of these very well. Since PBL began, we have had higher averages on part 1 than the traditional curriculum had, and last year the average was in the upper 80's, and many I talked to got in the upper 90's. Now to the preclinical aspect. Our teachers for restorative are top notch. An example is Dr. Kahn, who is one of the most qualified doctors in the country to teach a composite course. Yes, it is difficult to graduate from here as the clinical requirements are tough, however, this is dental school after all! As graduates, we will be more proficient operators for that. Every dental school has it's problems, you just have to concentrate on the positives and not dwell on every little weakness that a school has. Best of luck to you in your decision. I know it can be a stressful time.

This has been my experience too, ZERO regrets. To the list with Dr. Kahn, add Malamed, Magne, Slots, and others. About not graduating on time...those students are lazy. I'm sorry if that offends anyone, but it's true. People who work hard graduate on time. Some people in life want everything spoon fed to them. Do you think patients will just line up at the door of your office? Do you think you won't have to find information on your own? By the way, who said dental school was supposed to be easy?

Members don't see this ad :)
This has been my experience too, ZERO regrets. To the list with Dr. Kahn, add Malamed, Magne, Slots, and others. About not graduating on time...those students are lazy. ...... Do you think patients will just line up at the door of your office? Do you think you won't have to find information on your own? By the way, who said dental school was supposed to be easy?

What percentage of students graduating late do you feel is acceptable? Personally I believe too many people do not graduate on time, and that much more could be done to prevent that.
Nobody said dental school was supposed to be easy, but do you feel that it is possible the program is constructed in a way that makes it unnecessarily difficult for the majority to succeed?

I am totally in the same position as the original poster of the message except in reverse...

I'm from CA and got into USC and NYU (and Tufts). At this point I've figured that I want to live in LA or NY bc i have family on both sides (and i want to be able to go to small indie shows, museums, etc on the off off chance i can go).

But yeah i'm definitely having a hard time on this one, and i have to let the dir. of admissions from NYU know asap since she just called me yesterday and the deadline to have money deposited is coming up May 1st.

I hear rumors about both, both having good and bad reps, so i'm at a loss here.

I also attend SC dental and I thought I would add another view of this great school. I have zero regrets since I made the decision to attend here. As you know, the objective of the first 2 years (pre-clinical years) of all dental schools is to prepare it's students for the part 1 boards, and most importantly to be ready to treat patients in the clinic. USC does both of these very well. Since PBL began, we have had higher averages on part 1 than the traditional curriculum had, and last year the average was in the upper 80's, and many I talked to got in the upper 90's. Now to the preclinical aspect. Our teachers for restorative are top notch. An example is Dr. Kahn, who is one of the most qualified doctors in the country to teach a composite course. Yes, it is difficult to graduate from here as the clinical requirements are tough, however, this is dental school after all! As graduates, we will be more proficient operators for that. Every dental school has it's problems, you just have to concentrate on the positives and not dwell on every little weakness that a school has. Best of luck to you in your decision. I know it can be a stressful time.

thank you for your thorough description of the school. However, I hear most of the first year really enjoy their time at USC. As time progresses, students become more and more disgruntled. So just to get some perspective, what year are you and dreyfus?

thank you for your thorough description of the school. However, I hear most of the first year really enjoy their time at USC. As time progresses, students become more and more disgruntled. So just to get some perspective, what year are you and dreyfus?

Wow, I never knew all of that about USC. It sounds like a pretty good school. USC also has a smaller class size and I hear it is cheaper than NYU too so that's another good thing! If that is the case, then I think you have your answer good luck Browneyes in your choice and congrats again.

I think some students become disgruntled because the school is backwards. The first year is ridiculously laid back so its easy to become spoiled early on. But ultimately you are responsible to meet all the requirements and competencies. The students that are serious (i.e. come at 7:30 everyday to book chairs) and are organized seem to do fine. Maybe some people get too comfortable and never realize they need to start husslin'

To the poster who said he will only know 'basic trades' and wont 'master all trades'.... Its really not possible or practical to be an expert in every area. The nice thing about USC is that it encourages you to excel in your particular area of interest. Ask yourself how much advantage you have taken of the available resources? Have you attended any CE courses? Signed up for externships? Assisted in the specialty practices? I'm interested in esthetics and I am willing to bet I have had more exposure than 95% of the dental students in the country. We have TONS of resources. take advantage and you will definitely know more than basic dentistry.

I am totally in the same position as the original poster of the message except in reverse...

I'm from CA and got into USC and NYU (and Tufts). At this point I've figured that I want to live in LA or NY bc i have family on both sides (and i want to be able to go to small indie shows, museums, etc on the off off chance i can go).

But yeah i'm definitely having a hard time on this one, and i have to let the dir. of admissions from NYU know asap since she just called me yesterday and the deadline to have money deposited is coming up May 1st.

I hear rumors about both, both having good and bad reps, so i'm at a loss here.

You are CRAZY if you choose NYU or USC over Tufts... Not even in the same league!

I am also in the class of 2009... yes USC and PBL is not perfect but if you want it to work and you are williing to work with people that have similiar goals to you then it will work.

PBL and the USC clinic will not work for people that are lazy and want things to be spoon fed to them... you have to put effort... and sometimes alot of effort to get things done... thats just how it is... if that means going on offsite weekend clinics or doing night clinic 1-2 times a week then ull do it b/c thats what will take foryou to finish on time.

i dont think i would go to another dental school in hind sight. i believe i made the right decision.

I agree 100% with envision, shawnone, and dreyus.... not so much the others.. but again its all opinion

I am in the class of 2009 and I would not recommend USC. Many students have trouble getting patients, graduating on time, and it is very expensive and very unprofessional. Plus students have a lot of difficulty learning all the procedures and I am worried that by when I graduate I will only be a dent of some basic trades, not all trades. Private message me for details.

I am in the class of 2008 at USC. I feel like I have been more than adequately prepared for all of the basic clinical aspects of dentistry, except for maybe perio surgery i.e grafting, crown lenghtening, osseus recountouring, (however flaps are no prob cuz I learned that in OS ). As Shawnone said there are tons of resources at USC and if I took the initiative I could learn more about perio surg to increase my confidence. I feel like I work hard at school, but don't know if I'll graduate on time, 1 yr is too far away to tell. I love USC, but is the tuition worth it?...... I still don't know. Paying that much tuition sets my expectations high, and USC has disappointed me at times ( like struggling to get as much 2nd floor clinic chair time as I would like) , yet there is no doubt that it is a great school and a great education.

Here are some of the "extras" that may set USC apart from some other schools in my opinion.

*Special patients clinic- gets you exposed to dealing with patients with special needs or medically compromised patients

*Sports dentistry selective - pretty self explanatory

*LAC-USC County Hospital Rotation- Lots of experience with extractions, and OS Case observation. This is a high volume hospital with lots of pt diversity.

*IV Sedation Team: 8 people from each class get to learn IV sedation for Stanley Malamed, and receive a certificate to perfrom IV Sedation upon graduation/licensure. (an $8,000 value).

*Center Craniofacial and Molecular Biology - numerous research opportunities.

*Oral Facial Pain Center - nice place to learn some on hands oral pathology identification

*AYUDA- a nonprofit mobile clinic affiliated with USC that provides free dental care to LA area kids, that runs about 2 weekends/month, plus at least 2 big trips a year to Latin/Central American countries. Tons of operative experience and a chance to give back to the community.

*Queens Care 1 & 2 - Nonprofit mobile children's dental clinics that set up at elementary schools.

* Children's Dental Clinic (CDC)-
an off campus rotation providing comprehensive pediatric dental care. This is in addition to our pediatric clinic at the main campus.

*Union Rescue Mission- Off campus clinic offering dental care to the indigent/homeless community.

* 3 dental fraternities * I get lots of extra CE courses through my dental fraternity, from world reknown dental experts.

* USC Mobile Clinic- USC sponsored mobile dental clinic that provides care to Southern California communities. Can get extra experience on the weekends as well.

* CMDT Mobile Clinic -This is another pediatric dental clinic.

*Pt population- very diverse backgrounds, gets lots of experience dealing with varying socio-econmic backgrounds. Great place to perfect my Spanish!

*World Reknown Dental Experts- great resources and research opportunities.

*Great looking students!!!

* Awesome weather! ( Haven't had to use my windshield icescraper since I moved here ):laugh:

+ a few extra rotations I don't know much about.

Here are some of the "extras" that may set USC apart from some other schools in my opinion.

*Great looking students!!!

i think their admissions committee has a thing for hot persian girls :thumbup: thats the only thing i liked about that place :D

I'm in the class of 2009 too...
things are improving at usc. it has a lot of problems, but they get better as time goes by. they're trying to listen to students these days... or at least they make it seem like they're listening. but again, my biggest peeve is PBL. It's stupid.

People keep on saying that PBL is NOT for people that are lazy or want things to be fed to them and that you have to work and want to learn for it to work. But i think that PBL still sucks, no matter what.

The people in my class that know me know that I work hard. I still hate PBL and I think its the biggest waist of time and resources. No matter how hard you work there will still be huge gaps (Grand Canyon size) in your education when it comes to PBL.

Don't get me wrong, I still love USC and the people there. I have learned a lot, but not because of the PBL system. I have learned a lot because of a BROKEN PBL system. The PBL "pedagogy" has not helped me a bit. All the work I have done and all I have learned has been by myself.... I don't think that $300K is a fair price for that.

I would choose NYU if I where you, it's New York, You have classes and the facilities are awesome!!

I am a graduating senior at USC. While I cannot comment on NYU, I can give you the truth about USC-and much more honestly and factually than some of these 2009's, who at this point do not have a complete understanding of clinic (although they seem to present like they do).

My first year I really had very little to do at school. I'm talking 3 days/week for the first semester (maybe 10 hrs at school). By second semester add in another day and another 3 hours. Third semester-nearly every day and probably 25 hours. Since my first year, the students have been giving more classes and responsibilities to the point where they really don't have an abundance of free time. Not particularly hard requirements, but they do take a little time with the amount of experience they have achieved at this point in school. Lab classes include ~1.5 semesters of occlusion/morphology/waxing, 1/2 semester of occlusion including things such as impressions, facebow, mounting, occlusal guards. 1 semester of amalgam.

My second year was much busier, to the point I was at school for nearly 80 hrs/week in addition to at home studying time. During this year the students take a semester of composite, 1 of posterior fixed, 1 of endo and 2/3 of anterior fixed. By the summer, the didactic learning is already tapering off.
As far as NDBE I, we were given approx. 2 weeks off of class to study. Personally I'm not trying to specialize, and so I enjoyed this time w/ little studying and easily passed the boards. Every year the pt. I board scores have been increasing.

As far as 3rd and 4th year, the biggest gripe students have is graduating on time. Last year something like 30% of students graduated on time. This year it should be significantly higher. I do not know about other schools, but to me it seems like most students should graduate on time. Personally, I'm not graduating on time. It is not because I'm lazy, as somebody else pointed out. And its not because I'm lacking in hand skills nor knowledge. Personally, it has to do with my patient pool and lack of procedures. Some people get lucky, and some people just don't. As it was last year, I gave many great patients and cases to my seniors (we work in vertical teams), hoping that they would give me some patients in return. They didn't. And then the rules have been changed to where my juniors do not give me any patients. So now I have another class to compete for patients. So here I sit a week and a half from graduation looking for a few more crowns to prep so I can graduate, and likely no solution other than to pay an underclassman money for their patient in addition to helping compensate the patient for the work.

THe one thing I can say is that things are getting better. While every day I question some of the idiotic decisions made by our leaders, I feel the school is moving in the right direction. THe clinic is being redone within the next year. There are some great new faculty who are teaching us some amazing dentistry.

thanks, that was very very helpful. i wanted to talk to someone who was an upperclassmen and that was helpful. another upperclassmen said similar things as well, thanks!

As far as 3rd and 4th year, the biggest gripe students have is graduating on time. Last year something like 30% of students graduated on time. This year it should be significantly higher. I do not know about other schools, but to me it seems like most students should graduate on time. Personally, I'm not graduating on time. It is not because I'm lazy, as somebody else pointed out. And its not because I'm lacking in hand skills nor knowledge. Personally, it has to do with my patient pool and lack of procedures. Some people get lucky, and some people just don't. As it was last year, I gave many great patients and cases to my seniors (we work in vertical teams), hoping that they would give me some patients in return. They didn't. And then the rules have been changed to where my juniors do not give me any patients. So now I have another class to compete for patients. So here I sit a week and a half from graduation looking for a few more crowns to prep so I can graduate, and likely no solution other than to pay an underclassman money for their patient in addition to helping compensate the patient for the work.

THe one thing I can say is that things are getting better. While every day I question some of the idiotic decisions made by our leaders, I feel the school is moving in the right direction. THe clinic is being redone within the next year. There are some great new faculty who are teaching us some amazing dentistry.

I just started my 3rd semester in the clinic and I have so many patients that I simply dont have the time/chairs to see them.

Where did I get them?

-Emergency Clinic - I go anytime somebody cancels or when I dont have a chair. I talk to them about their problem and explain their options. Either they are going to the OS clinic and you never see them again or its a guaranteed RCT/Crown + a bunch of other stuff they need. Right now I have 8 patients (I just counted) I have gained in the last couple weeks that I have extirpated and who are in the works. Get them admitted ASAP so they dont lose interest. The emergency clinic is always packed w/ your target market!

-Handing out my cards outside of school. A couple patients I am working on are service people from my apartment complex. Do people you interact with outside of school (gym, church etc) know you are a dentist?

-Referrals These are the best patients because they are seeking YOU because they heard you are good. I just had a pt call me the other day because the provisional I made for her friend looked great.

-Family/friends/classmates. Easy money.

-Patients assigned from the school. Don't hold your breath because by the time it takes for them to get through the system, they have already lost interest.

I think I have been successful because I give them good service, I explain everything clearly, I show I genuinely want to help them (and myself graduate), and I basically make friends. Once they see you are knowledable, reliable, and friendly, they're yours!

I dont think any of these things are by luck. I just dont understand how you can say the problem is "lack of patient pool" when we are located in the heart of the second most populated city in the country. The seniors I have spoken with say they are behind because of comps. Mainly cast prep. Until i see otherwise, I say the reason is lack of planning ahead, not because there isnt enough patients.

I agree on everything you said in the second paragraph.

I just got home from admitting/x-ray/exam a pt that I met during spring break (yes, I went to school the whole week. spring break is for undergrads). I had already extirpated #14 in emergency clinic. He had his previous care in Mexico and wants to improve his oral health. Here is the likely treatment plan...

OHI, 4 quads SRP w/ 4 week eval. moderate calculus, some 5mm pockets, not too much BOP.

Tooth #3
Existing - Large MOL amalgam​
Defects - gross mesial overhang & failing margins. I wish I had a picture of what the occlusal looked like​
Treatment - PFM high noble​

Tooth#5
Existing - DO amalgam​
Defects - gross distal overhang & failing margins​
Treatment - Semi-direct composite inlay​

Tooth#6
Existing - clasp from cantilever base metal bridge on # 7, 8​
Defects - advanced mesial caries​
Treatment - probably RCT / abutment for all ceramic bridge on # 6 ,7, 8​

Tooth#7
Existing - PFM pontic, base metal​
Defects - pt finds cervical darkness from base metal objectionable​
Treatment - pontic for all ceramic bridge on # 6 ,7, 8​

Tooth#8
Existing - retainer, base metal PFM​
Defects - severe gingival inflammation on lingual. poor margins & objectionable esthetics​
Treatment - retainer for all ceramic bridge on # 6 ,7, 8​

Tooth#9
Existing - base metal PFM​
Defects - Severe gingival inflammation on lingual. poor margins & objectionable esthetics​
Treatment - All ceramic crown​

Tooth#10
Existing - none​
Defects - facially tilted. Pt has objection to esthetics​
Treatment - porcelain veneer​

Tooth#11
Existing - none​
Defects - white hypocalcification stains. objectionable esthetics​
Treatment - porcelain veneer​

Tooth#12
Existing - O amalgam​
Defects - distal caries. Ideal board lesion​
Treatment - DO composite​

Tooth#13
Existing - O amalgam​
Defects - mesial caries. Ideal board lesion​
Treatment - MO composite​

Tooth#14
Existing - extirpation/Cavit​
Treatment - RCT/PFM high noble​

Tooth#21
Existing - O amalgam​
Defects - distal caries.​
Treatment - DO composite​

Tooth#29
Existing - O amalgam​
Defects - mesial caries. Ideal board lesion​
Treatment - MO composite​

#'s 4, 19, and 30 have crowns that seem to be decent, but not great. Will probably leave those alone for now...

I will take a full series of intra-oral photographs. We have a pretty sweet class on dental photography and the clinic provides Canon Rebel cameras and retraction cassettes.

He wants the work done and will pay cash as we go. He was on time today, always answers my calls, and seems very interested...

Its the end of my 3rd year in dental school at SC. I was a non-science major coming in so of course I was very worried about boards since you don't learn anything in PBL. Studying for boards was very frustrating b/c we never learned biochem, histology, etc. So I would just sit there trying to read a biochem book but after the 4th chapter it made no sense to me. I was soooo frustrated. I didn't want to specialize so it made things a little better. But I still wish that I had a chance to do better if I had the correct foundation that should have been provided by SC. After I got my results I did better than I thought and somehow biochem was my highest score. I have no idea how that happened. Point is if you want to do exceptional on your boards this is not the school for you, b/c you have no way of really competing with the nation when your school doesn't teach you anything.

Moving on to the clinic.. I have basically been on the clinic floor for the past year. When I was studying for boards I thought that was the worst, but I really had no idea what was coming to me. There is no sense of professionalism at this school. If your a girl and happen to be sleeping with the faculty then you will most likely graduate on time. But for the rest you are faced with sexually charged comments from old nasty dentists whom you must just sit and listen to b/c you are trying to graduate too. And if you want to complain then good luck who do you complain to? Nothing gets accomplished, and you will be blacklisted b/c all of the faculty somehow end up knowing whats going on b/c they are constantly chatting about specific students when they really should be "teaching".

Besides that the main problem that every pre-dental student should ask dental schools that they are interviewing at is "WHAT IS YOUR GRADUATION RATE?" the second most important question is what are your board scores? (keep in mind that board scores are not solely based on the school, there are people in our class that did particularly well, I think one person got a 98) But graduation rate is completely out of your hand. Only 36% of the 2007 class is graduating on time. There are multiple reasons why this is true. Too many to explain here but I will mention a few.
1. Not enough faculty coverage for the number of students that are permitted to be on the clinic floor
2. The majority of the faculty that is on the clinic floor does not have the authority to sign off on fixed work so you end up prepping a crown with one faculty in one appt take a final impression on your 2nd appt and then send the lab work out. Then you spend a day or two trying to track one of the five faculty who do have the authority to sign it off only to have them tell you that there needs to be adjustments made. Then you bring the patient back but unfortunately the faculty who can sign off is rarely ever teaching on the clinic floor. Do this 5 + times until your patient gets completely fed up and doesn’t want to come back.
3. So many requirements: 30 fixed (crowns), 9 removable arches, etc..
4. Soo many comp exams on live patients who must qualify for these exams. The faculty grading are nearly impossible to pass, and it is soooo hard to find pt’s that qualify. Every day we are bombarded by seniors emailing us looking for compable crowns. They are more like begging us for these crowns.
5. Again not enough faculty to sit your patient down and do the work
6. Last week attempted to take a final impression of a crown. RDA left early (the person who takes the impressions). Tried to get the material needed from the dispensary but guess what they were all out. Brought patient back tonight only to beg every single faculty on the clinic floor to please cover me. I explained that I don’t need there assistance I have everything signed off. I just want to get a final impression. But after one hour of running around that didn’t happen. Had to send my pt. home. Apparently, 2 faculty just decided to cancel their night chairs, and of course nobody bothers to tell the poor dental students!!

Anyways, there are soooo many other reasons why this school is absolutely the most chaotic, bull****, school. We don’t even become great clinicians b/c we spend at least over 60% of our time trying to figure out how and when we could possibly bring our patients in with the few chairs that do exist. Do yourself a favor, don’t go to this school, go somewhere where you actually have a chance of learning and becoming a better dentist. Go to a school where the dean is approachable and cares what is happening to his students. Our dean will never dare walk through the clinic floor. I think he is too scared. All he would see is the majority of the students standing on line for instruments/supplies, miserable as hell. Hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions. Don’t forget ask about the graduation rates. b/c whats the point of getting into a specialty only to find out that you aren’t graduating on time and you will have to defer it if they will allow you to. And trust me spending most of your time worrying about graduating on time is a very miserable way to live.

What percentage of students graduating late do you feel is acceptable? Personally I believe too many people do not graduate on time, and that much more could be done to prevent that.
Nobody said dental school was supposed to be easy, but do you feel that it is possible the program is constructed in a way that makes it unnecessarily difficult for the majority to succeed?

36% of USC 2007 class on time

I really want to thank all of you for being so sincere in your responses. I think that after talking to several ppl and reading all the posts here I prefer going to Tufts for reaons I won't bore you with.

But the only concern I have about going to Tufts is this: if I should decide to come back to California, will going to Tufts be a serious disadvantage comparing to students who went to USC?

:confused:

I really want to thank all of you for being so sincere in your responses. I think that after talking to several ppl and reading all the posts here I prefer going to Tufts for reaons I won't bore you with.

But the only concern I have about going to Tufts is this: if I should decide to come back to California, will going to Tufts be a serious disadvantage comparing to students who went to USC?

:confused:

In terms of networking...perhaps; however, you will be a far ahead of us both academically and clinically, so don't worry!!

Our teachers for restorative are top notch.

:laugh: No offense. But it doesn't take a great dentist to drill n fill.

To the OP go to NYU. If you can live at home and commute you can save a bunch too. As for the weather, you'll have no time to enjoy it anyway.

:laugh: No offense. But it doesn't take a great dentist to drill n fill.

To the OP go to NYU. If you can live at home and commute you can save a bunch too. As for the weather, you'll have no time to enjoy it anyway.

No offense taken peter, however, there's a lot more to this whole clinical dentistry thing than just drilling and filling. If it were just "drillin and fillin" we would be just another trade (6 month course at University of Pheonix), and that DDS or DMD would be irrelevant. An elevated understanding of diagnosis, dental materials and sound operative technique WILL enhance your experience as a clinician, and most importantly, your patients experience with the restorations you put in their mouth. :laugh:

lmao @ sc students pointing out how much their school sucks

both schools are expenisve, if you get anywhere cheaper, go there.... o/w nyu

I just started my 3rd semester in the clinic and I have so many patients that I simply dont have the time/chairs to see them.

Where did I get them?

-Emergency Clinic - I go anytime somebody cancels or when I dont have a chair. I talk to them about their problem and explain their options. Either they are going to the OS clinic and you never see them again or its a guaranteed RCT/Crown + a bunch of other stuff they need. Right now I have 8 patients (I just counted) I have gained in the last couple weeks that I have extirpated and who are in the works. Get them admitted ASAP so they dont lose interest. The emergency clinic is always packed w/ your target market!

-Handing out my cards outside of school. A couple patients I am working on are service people from my apartment complex. Do people you interact with outside of school (gym, church etc) know you are a dentist?

-Referrals These are the best patients because they are seeking YOU because they heard you are good. I just had a pt call me the other day because the provisional I made for her friend looked great.

-Family/friends/classmates. Easy money.

-Patients assigned from the school. Don't hold your breath because by the time it takes for them to get through the system, they have already lost interest.

I think I have been successful because I give them good service, I explain everything clearly, I show I genuinely want to help them (and myself graduate), and I basically make friends. Once they see you are knowledable, reliable, and friendly, they're yours!

I dont think any of these things are by luck. I just dont understand how you can say the problem is "lack of patient pool" when we are located in the heart of the second most populated city in the country. The seniors I have spoken with say they are behind because of comps. Mainly cast prep. Until i see otherwise, I say the reason is lack of planning ahead, not because there isnt enough patients.

I agree on everything you said in the second paragraph.

I really hope things continue on as well as you say they are, but honestly I was in the same position. There was a point where I had soooo many patients, but through attrition of the dental school they never come back. No money. Changing jobs. Fed up with not getting anything done. You know how many patients I have had assigned to me that I could never even get into a chair. Or how many patients I treatment planned and then never started work because all of a sudden they realize that they need $3000 in work when they just thought that they needed a cleaning.

Sure poor planning is a problem. Personally, I have done a comp on every cast prep. that was compable, including the first crown I ever prepped, so I really don't appreciate being called a poor planner. Where my class and your class differ is that your class did not give any procedures to my class, while I was forced to give all of my good patients that I treatment planned to my seniors. Its kind of hard to graduate when I had to give my patients all away to my senior, and then when I'm trying to get patients, they are all being funneled to a class below me.

There's a reason that only 19 people out of ~170 people graduate on time, and while poor planning and laziness play a role in this, for the most part that role is isolated and miniscule.

I really hope things continue on as well as you say they are, but honestly I was in the same position. There was a point where I had soooo many patients, but through attrition of the dental school they never come back. No money. Changing jobs. Fed up with not getting anything done. You know how many patients I have had assigned to me that I could never even get into a chair. Or how many patients I treatment planned and then never started work because all of a sudden they realize that they need $3000 in work when they just thought that they needed a cleaning.

Sure poor planning is a problem. Personally, I have done a comp on every cast prep. that was compable, including the first crown I ever prepped, so I really don't appreciate being called a poor planner. Where my class and your class differ is that your class did not give any procedures to my class, while I was forced to give all of my good patients that I treatment planned to my seniors. Its kind of hard to graduate when I had to give my patients all away to my senior, and then when I'm trying to get patients, they are all being funneled to a class below me.

There's a reason that only 19 people out of ~170 people graduate on time, and while poor planning and laziness play a role in this, for the most part that role is isolated and miniscule.

Sadly, this is the sentiment among the graduating class of 2007. I have 2 of my best friends in this class and it hurts to see them struggle to finish before summer (if not, they have to pay another trimester of tuition); the worst thing about this is that this is a domino effect, since the class of 07 will have to stay, this will delay the class of 08 to finish their procedures on time, having the class of 09 to stay here late. This is a nightmare!!!

This has been my experience too, ZERO regrets. To the list with Dr. Kahn, add Malamed, Magne, Slots, and others. About not graduating on time...those students are lazy. I'm sorry if that offends anyone, but it's true. People who work hard graduate on time. Some people in life want everything spoon fed to them. Do you think patients will just line up at the door of your office? Do you think you won't have to find information on your own? By the way, who said dental school was supposed to be easy?

You are totally wrong buddy, I happen to have 2 of the hardest working friends who are also from the class of 07 and would not graduate on time due to situations out of their control (cannot find patients for comps and not having patients to finish up their requirements), what is the school doing for them....nothing! They have been going to laundry mats putting adds on craigslist, etc etc etc with no avail. D school is not supposed to be easy; however, you are in an institution where you pay hundreds of thousands of dollars, the least they could do is organizing and planning the required patients for the students instead of the students doing the admin job for them.
And about Malamed, Magne, and Slot, sure we have them, but, have we ever had a trimester class on Local Anesthesia (Malamed), Cosmetic Dentistry (Magne)? As far as I remember we only have a 2-day, 2 hour-session Anesthesia course with Junior and Senior students and nothing from Magne..Sure we have them but at the same time...we don't. We don't benefit whatsoever from having such Dental All-Stars.

Well Last year I would have said USC. But now, seeing that DEAN Bertolami from UCSF will be the new DEAN for NYU next year, I WOULD GO HANDS DOWN TO NYU. No questions asked. He will make that program prestigious.

If your a girl and happen to be sleeping with the faculty then you will most likely graduate on time. But for the rest you are faced with sexually charged comments from old nasty dentists whom you must just sit and listen to b/c you are trying to graduate too.

Can you please provide more details on this? PM me if you must.

You can't call a class lazy when only 24 students of 140+ (not including ASPID's) sign-out on time. there is something clearly wrong with the system.

You can't call a class lazy when only 24 students of 140+ (not including ASPID's) sign-out on time. there is something clearly wrong with the system.

That's the whole point I have tried to make as well.

Something is inherently wrong with the structure of the school is graduation rates like this occur.

Sorry to say that I was wrong the graduating rate for the 07 class is 18% not 37%