NYU pros and cons...just wondering

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
accu94672 said:
I'm not kidding. It is really hard to get a patient to come in, let alone for your competency req. The school gives us way too much time in general clinic, some of which could be used for other meaningful classes. I'd wish they could drop or lower the production requirement and reduce some of the general clinic time that many don't need. How do you reach such a production if there's no one to treat?

What's the difference between general clinic and say specialty clinic? Also, don't u think that having to get your own patients is beneficial, although more stressful? It allows u to "sell your skill" and afterall, that is what you'll be doing in the dental field. I think it also builds patient doctor interaction skills and increases one's own confidence in his skill. It isn't as convenient as having patients assigned to you, but when in the working world does that happen?

Members don't see this ad.

Dr.BadVibes said:
You only question his objectivity because he is saying stuff that you dont want to hear....simple as that. Why dont you just keep an open mind on things and consider that the things he is saying could possibly be very true.

I question his objectivity because I grew up in NYC and I never encountered danger. Maybe, I am the lucky one here. I thought his comment about NYC was a bit exagerating. Therefore it is difficult to take his words seriously after that comment.
I did also said I APPRECIATED whatever the input people post based on their own experience instead of some hearsay. I LISTEN to what people has to say but I will only take other people's opinions as a grain of salt.

But like I said he may had bad luck or he is not cut our for the city.

Couple of questions for you...before you said it was hard to GET patients and now you're sayin it's hard to get patients to COME IN. So which is it? There's a big difference.

I agree, we need more didactic training in the areas of endo, perio, etc...but I wouldn't say that we need LESS general clinic time. Especially with all our frickn rotations going on right now, I'm lucky if I have 3 clinic sessions/week. I think we need more clinic time b/c I know my patients are getting sick of waiting 3 weeks for a recall.

As far as production requirements...I think it is BS that they're doing it. But, I really do believe it's possible to get it.

Are you really having trouble getting new patients? Seriously, I'd be more than happy to give you some of my patients. Honestly, you might be in the minority b/c most people I talk with are experiencing the same patient overload. My roomate is booked w/ patients til the middle of June. :eek: I think we're in different position than you b/c if my patients don't show, they'd have to wait several weeks to get another appt w/ us so they know not to disappoint. Otherwise, you could always call your patients the day before to make sure they know about their appt. No offense, but are you really having a hard time getting patients? I really really find it hard to believe..haha. Is it a matter of "Getting" patients for you or "Retaining" patients? Because if it's retaining pts, then, um...can't help you there, but PLEASE take some of mine.

accu94672 said:
I'm not kidding. It is really hard to get a patient to come in, let alone for your competency req. The school gives us way too much time in general clinic, some of which could be used for other meaningful classes. I'd wish they could drop or lower the production requirement and reduce some of the general clinic time that many don't need. How do you reach such a production if there's no one to treat?

In other schools, the admin automatically assigns patients to students on a queue basis and that is a distinct advantage that most dental schools have over NYU. ( based on your post, you seem to enjoy the difficulty of pressuring patients to come without help from the school; personal thing I guess )

That is not to say that NYU is a bad school. I can't think of any good stuff it has but I'm sure that there must be some schools that perform below in certain aspects. Also, the area isn't as safe ( crime and traffic fatality-wise) as some people here say..........I've seen bad stuff happen that is vividly imprinted in my mind...

Members don't see this ad :)
Stop by my apt later....I have a cookie for you

Dr.BadVibes said:
I can think of another school......Temple

ToothCandy4U said:
I question his objectivity because I grew up in NYC and I never encountered danger. Maybe, I am the lucky one here. I thought his comment about NYC was a bit exagerating. Therefore it is difficult to take his words seriously after that comment.
But like I said he may had bad luck or he is not cut our for the city.

I was born at NYHQ and attended PS 201, IS 189, and Stuyvesant High School. I'm currently from Bay Terrace of Queens; I lived in areas of Brooklyn and Queens all my life until I attended college out-of-state and worked for a few years. How long have you lived here?

Maybe it's my experience only but ever since I entered NYUCD, Manhattan didn't seem to be what it was when I attended Stuy. I had seem two people get struck by speeding cars in front of the supermarket near the school and even saw a purse snatcher in the area. All this happened within the past 2 years.

The fact that a ratio of around 5:1000 persons saw these events is enough to question the safety of the area. Being able to witness a crime is rare in probability, so having seen it even once is significant. A dangerous city doesn't necessarily imply one where there are homicides and robberies each week.

I'd appreciate it if you stop making personal judgements like "he has bad luck" or "he is not cut out for the city." Just give your contradictory reasons without mentioning anyone personally.

Pi__Guy1 said:
Is it a matter of "Getting" patients for you or "Retaining" patients? QUOTE]

"Getting" patient appointments is the hardest. Most patients, when they do make an appt, actually do show up. As for "retaining", I don't know; some I retain and some I don't. They should make production req proportional to how many people you are actually treating.

Pi__Guy1 said:
Stop by my apt later....I have a cookie for you
"cookie" that's what they call it now?! :D

lnn2 said:
"cookie" that's what they call it now?! :D
THIS IS OFF TOPIC: But what do you guys think of Amy knowles? I personally love her. She's so nice, her voice is so beautiful. I can see myself going to her with my problems. I've had some BAD experiences with assistant deans of admission who you could tell had a stick up their ass. For me, i think above all, is that faculty is most important to my wellbeing in a university. Afterall, who's the one to mediate your problems? If a college has an aloof faculty i'd go somewhere else because it just means they dnt care. :sleep:

accu94672 said:
I was born at NYHQ and attended PS 201, IS 189, and Stuyvesant High School. I'm currently from Bay Terrace of Queens; I lived in areas of Brooklyn and Queens all my life until I attended college out-of-state and worked for a few years. How long have you lived here?

Maybe it's my experience only but ever since I entered NYUCD, Manhattan didn't seem to be what it was when I attended Stuy. I had seem two people get struck by speeding cars in front of the supermarket near the school and even saw a purse snatcher in the area. All this happened within the past 2 years.

The fact that a ratio of around 5:1000 persons saw these events is enough to question the safety of the area. Being able to witness a crime is rare in probability, so having seen it even once is significant. A dangerous city doesn't necessarily imply one where there are homicides and robberies each week.

I'd appreciate it if you stop making personal judgements like "he has bad luck" or "he is not cut out for the city." Just give your contradictory reasons without mentioning anyone personally.

Since you whipped out your personal statistic, I did some research.
Apparently New York City pedestrian injuries have clearly decreased.

Although NYC doesn't have as many fatalities and injuries as other cities in the US, statistic won't negate the traumatizing experience--witnessing the accident in person. So, I can understand that your have your own personal opinion about the NYC.
However, sadly fatality and injuries by automobile are bound to happen in our society. All we can do is to be careful. After that nothing we can really do about it.

London is safer for pedestrian according to this article. Something to think about, accu94672. ;)

NYC
http://www.transalt.org/press/askta/040220.html#g

NYS
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/STSI/State_Info.cfm?Year=2003&State=NY&Accessible=0

ToothCandy4U said:
Since you whipped out your personal statistic, I did some research.
Apparently New York City pedestrian injuries have clearly decreased.

Although NYC doesn't have as many fatalities and injuries as other cities in the US, statistic won't negate the traumatizing experience--witnessing the accident in person. So, I can understand that your have your own personal opinion about the NYC.
However, sadly fatality and injuries by automobile are bound to happen in our society. All we can do is to be careful. After that nothing we can really do about it.

London is safer for pedestrian according to this article. Something to think about, accu94672. ;)

NYC
http://www.transalt.org/press/askta/040220.html#g

NYS
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/STSI/State_Info.cfm?Year=2003&State=NY&Accessible=0

Wow. Good for you. I can't believe you actually wasted time looking for links, which I didn't check but know it wouldn't be helpful.

Notice that I was never referring to the entire city; I was only talking about the area around the school. ( or to put it broadly, Manhattan )

drcharleshuang said:
I might go to NYUCD, or wait another year and apply again... my plan is to retake the DAT at the end of july, if i do considerably better, I'll wait another year, but most likely i will attend NYU this august. I'm excited because I've never lived in NY before, although I'm kinda daunted that so many people have negative things to say about this school. Perhaps it is the NY personalities that make these posts seem so blunt and brutal, but that is only a speculation. I am from Southern California (Los Angeles), and i'm 23. About failing students, i guess with a program so large, there's bound to be students who drop out whether it be due to incompetence, or lack of interest in the profession. I just wish that when i get there, i find a good intelligent study buddy or two or three. I come from a BS in pharmacology which was brutal but I find that if everyone experiences the same stresses, it's not so bad. Plus, friendships are stronger because there is bound to be dramatic outbursts of emotions when under that much stress.

For anyone that goes to NYUCD, I was wondering about lab and how the instruction is carried through. I mean, how do they teach you the waxing up skills etc? Do you just learn to figure them out on your own, or is there someone that instructs you in a small group? Oh and... ARE ALL THE EXAMS MULTIPLE CHOICE???? I am not very fond of multiple choice quesitons because I feel as though it limits the amount of information I can express, and really tests what I don't know versus what I do know. I know with such a large class size the tests are all likely to be multiple choice. But i just hope maybe, that can change. Also, are there quizzes everyweek? Or, how is the exam/test/quiz schedule like? Are you always studying for a quiz? And how hard are the quizzes usually? Are there discussion sections? or just lectures?

Some more quesitons.... Would you recommend living in the 26th street dorms for the first year? If you could do it again, what would you do differently to easy the transition period? Any other tips before getting into Dschool? Thanks A LOT.

I'll keep this short. You are your own friend here at this school, believe me! Also 99% of the 1st 2 years is multiple choice. You will get to know the red-scantrons real well.

accu94672 said:
Wow. Good for you. I can't believe you actually wasted time looking for links, which I didn't check but know it wouldn't be helpful.

Notice that I was never referring to the entire city; I was only talking about the area around the school. ( or to put it broadly, Manhattan )

I guess you have no respect what so ever for someone who has genuine curiosity for real facts and details. Whenever I have some questions, I research.
That is just me.

Obviously you are the kind of person who has little interests for facts.

Your opinion is very biased and based on such a limited experience.
I am just sharing some facts for others who might take your words seriously.

Members don't see this ad :)
NYU NYU NYU
well as a recent graduate and the first to graduate from a new curriculum, i can say that my first two years were extremely hard bc of complete lack of communication between the faculty and the administration. It was a complete mess. I dont know now but maybe they fixed some of the issues.

Now i have to agree on some pts with both accu94672 and pi guy. NYU DOES HAVE a lot of patients but what is lacking is the quality. At stony brook, each student has to do atleast 15 crowns, 10 endos etc where as our requirements are pretty small. I too had a lot of patients, but most of the time it was dentures and fillings. For a school,. we charge too much for crowns(and the work that comes out of 7th floor is ****). I know when we get out in the real world, we will charge a lot more, but cmon we are still students.

Also this new money requirement isa bunch of crap. It makes the school feel like a ***** house.

In short, because of the sheer size of NYU, the students encounter problems. The moral of my statement is that the quicker you get out of NYU the better, because NYU's problems keep on getting bigger

As a side note, I CANT STAND AMY KNOWLES :laugh:

Folks, I have followed this discussion about drop out rates at NYUCD.

One thing I think everybody is not realizing. The drop-out rate is actually 33%!!!

Consider this:
Number of regular batch students entering: ~300
Number of AP students entering in 2nd year: ~110
Total number of students graduating: ~300
Number of students kicked out: ~110

I am assuming that most of the students failing out will be from the regular batch. NYUCD doesn't reveal these numbers, so there is no way to know. I am guessing that 100 of the 110 are regular batch students.

So, we have a failure rate of almost 33%!!!

Hey folks entering NYUCD, which of the three groups will you fall into:
1. The top 100 students who do not have to fear being kicked out.
2. The middle 100 students who will have an extremely stressful experience of barely making it.
3. The bottom 100 students who will have their lives ruined.

Anywhere you go to dental school there will be people complaining. I'm sure there are plenty of other students at that school who love it. This is how it is at my school, which is not NYU. The problems at any given dental school are more than likely not unique to that school. DENTAL SCHOOL IS NOT FUN ALL THE TIME! It's really not fun most of the time. Occasionally you do some cool stuff, but the rest of the time you bust your ass. Nobody is entitled to be a dentist. Those of you who are in dental school need to understand you have truly been blessed to be given the opportunity to lead a wonderful life doing great things for other people and make a fantastic living while doing it. I wish I could remind people that spreading bad vibes around school doesn't do anyone any good. It pisses of the administration and the faculty, who are pretty much volunteering their time. Don't stress, as long as you do what you're there for (STUDY AND LEARN), you'll graduate and go on to live happily ever after. The more positive you are the better it makes the school for everybody. And why are people bashing other dental schools? I guarantee none of us is getting off easily whichever school we go to. My school just required all students do their own labwork. Do I care? No way, because that's going to make me a better dentist. And shoot, in 2 years life's going to be awesome! Stay happy.

drhobie7 said:
Anywhere you go to dental school there will be people complaining. I'm sure there are plenty of other students at that school who love it. This is how it is at my school, which is not NYU. The problems at any given dental school are more than likely not unique to that school. DENTAL SCHOOL IS NOT FUN ALL THE TIME! It's really not fun most of the time. Occasionally you do some cool stuff, but the rest of the time you bust your ass. Nobody is entitled to be a dentist. Those of you who are in dental school need to understand you have truly been blessed to be given the opportunity to lead a wonderful life doing great things for other people and make a fantastic living while doing it. I wish I could remind people that spreading bad vibes around school doesn't do anyone any good. It pisses of the administration and the faculty, who are pretty much volunteering their time. Don't stress, as long as you do what you're there for (STUDY AND LEARN), you'll graduate and go on to live happily ever after. The more positive you are the better it makes the school for everybody. And why are people bashing other dental schools? I guarantee none of us is getting off easily whichever school we go to. My school just required all students do their own labwork. Do I care? No way, because that's going to make me a better dentist. And shoot, in 2 years life's going to be awesome! Stay happy.

:thumbup: :thumbup:
Thank you for a great and mature advice, drhobie7.

MeBuckeye said:

One thing I think everybody is not realizing. The drop-out rate is actually 33%!!!

Consider this:

I am assuming that most of the students failing out will be from the regular batch. NYUCD doesn't reveal these numbers, so there is no way to know. I am guessing that 100 of the 110 are regular batch students.

2. The middle 100 students who will have an extremely stressful experience of barely making it.

Quit spitting out ridiculous numbers. Where did you get ~110 failing out? In my class, the majority of people who left school was first year...which was roughly 40 students. At the end of 2nd year, only 7 FAILED out. And, it isn't called "failure rate". You're assuming all "110" students got booted. Keep in mind that people leave here because of other personal issues. So quit being so overly dramatic with your bold font and your #1-3 list. Your numbers are over inflated...

drhobie7 said:
...and go on to live happily ever after
Are you sure about that?! I think that only happens in movies or romance novels! :D not in real life man! :D
drhobie7 said:
...in 2 years life's going to be awesome!
I'm not so sure about this either! :D Ever thought about becoming a motivational speaker?! You seem to have a knack for it!

drhobie7 said:
...I wish I could remind people that spreading bad vibes around school doesn't do anyone any good...
Very true but why do you concern about
drhobie7 said:
...It pisses of the administration and the faculty, who are pretty much volunteering their time.
So what? If the truth pisses them off then so be it! NOBODY volunteer at dental school (ok, maybe 1 out 100!) EVERYBODY gets a paycheck! If you ask me the pros and cons about my school, I'll tell you about the pros and cons of my school (imo of course!), straight up!

Other than that, I agree with everything else!

Pi__Guy1 said:
Quit spitting out ridiculous numbers. Where did you get ~110 failing out? In my class, the majority of people who left school was first year...which was roughly 40 students. At the end of 2nd year, only 7 FAILED out. And, it isn't called "failure rate". You're assuming all "110" students got booted. Keep in mind that people leave here because of other personal issues. So quit being so overly dramatic with your bold font and your #1-3 list. Your numbers are over inflated...
:) I didn't believe that number either! But 40 students like you said is still 40 too many! 7 FAILED out is also just way too many. My class had 73, only 2 had to repeat 1st yr. The rest of us graduated.

Regardless of the stats, if I wanted to go to NYU for whatever reason (gf, family, the city...) then I would still go to NYU. It's that simple. I wouldn't care about the failed out number because I know I won't be one of those guys. If you fail out, don't pass the boards, fail the license....tough luck! blame yourself, not the school. Every school is pretty much the same in that it gives you a stepping stone, a foundation to build upon....

To all of the predents out there, don't take anything too seriously, take it with a table spoon of salt! After all, they're just personal opinions and personal opinions differ.

MeBuckeye is a predent who is trying to get in NYU. That's why he/she is throwing out bogus stats. What a fool. This type of people give the SDN a bad name :mad: :D

MeBuckeye said:

Consider this:

Obviously you don't go to NYU. Number of regular batch students entering: ~210-220. Now do the math.

MeBuckeye said:

NYU doesn't fail out that many people. Around 20-30 students fail out by end of 2nd year. But, yes, if you happen to be one of these people or don't get a job/opportunity by graduation ( I really saw this happen ), you might have been better off having wasted your life doing drugs.

Most generalized conceptions and rumors ( good and bad ) about NYU aren't true. Each school has its own style but NYU's basic sciences, dental labs, and clinics are overall of the same quality/experience as those of other large dental schools.

The major issues setting NYU apart from others is the high cost of tuition and high acceptance rate.

hi all

i know this would be out of ur discussion,can anybody from NYU tell the number of vacations days for the d2 year?

your response would be really appreciated.

thanks

summer between D2 and D3 = August 19th - Sept 5th

shaliraj said:
hi all

i know this would be out of ur discussion,can anybody from NYU tell the number of vacations days for the d2 year?

thanks

Hi Inn2, here are my replies. I don't know how to use this posting system that well yet so everything might be jumbled together.

lnn2 said:
Are you sure about that?! I think that only happens in movies or romance novels! :D not in real life man! :D

Like I said, nobody is entitled to be a dentist. Likewise, nobody is entitled to success. School gives you the tools to achieve it (providing you actually learned them). After that it's up to you. Unfortunately, if you're a negative person by nature, you're probably not going to get there.

I'm not so sure about this either! :D Ever thought about becoming a motivational speaker?! You seem to have a knack for it!

This is dental school, not prison. Is life really so bad? We're not digging ditches for 8 hours a day as part of a chain gang. It would be so much better for future patients if people turned their negative energy towards improving their clinical skills.

Very true but why do you concern about

Because spreading bad vibes is infectious. It bumms everybody out, including me.

So what? If the truth pisses them off then so be it! NOBODY volunteer at dental school (ok, maybe 1 out 100!) EVERYBODY gets a paycheck! If you ask me the pros and cons about my school, I'll tell you about the pros and cons of my school (imo of course!), straight up!

All of the full-time faculty at my school are essentially volunteering because the amount of money they make from teaching is a joke. If you look at the money they could make in private practice and compare it to their current teaching pay, yes it is volunteering. It probably barely covers their living expenses. These are people with mortgages, spouses, children in college. $70K a year (if that) is not turning a profit for them.

With the shortage of dental school faculty, why make life harder on them?

Where are you in school Inn2?

Other than that, I agree with everything else!

Why does it matter the drop out rate. If you study effectively and dont f*ck around too much, get your act together during clinic....you'll graduate. Complain complain complain. ****....when you go to private practice you have more to worry about.....ie .....patient compliance, patients not showing up, making enough to pay your overhead, being afraid of patients sueing you, not producing enough to satisfy the owners, not having enough matrix band, not having your cases delivered on time. I am so tire of you guys whining all the time. If you fail and were kicked out...you probably deserved it. Hell, there were times I was scared as hell back then at NYUCD. But then again, I f*cked arounf and paid for it. But I learned to get my act together and graduated. I work in a wonderful office with lots of issues, but I LEARN TO DEAL WITH IT. I got at least that much form NYUCD. Moral of the story...anywhere can be good or bad. Deal with it in the right way, and your life will be much brighter. Peace out!

pn229 said:
Why does it matter the drop out rate. If you study effectively and dont f*ck around too much, get your act together during clinic....you'll graduate. Complain complain complain. ****....when you go to private practice you have more to worry about.....ie .....patient compliance, patients not showing up, making enough to pay your overhead, being afraid of patients sueing you, not producing enough to satisfy the owners, not having enough matrix band, not having your cases delivered on time. I am so tire of you guys whining all the time. If you fail and were kicked out...you probably deserved it. Hell, there were times I was scared as hell back then at NYUCD. But then again, I f*cked arounf and paid for it. But I learned to get my act together and graduated. I work in a wonderful office with lots of issues, but I LEARN TO DEAL WITH IT. I got at least that much form NYUCD. Moral of the story...anywhere can be good or bad. Deal with it in the right way, and your life will be much brighter. Peace out!

EXACTLY. DEAL WITH IT!

MeBuckeye said:

Consider this:

Well your numbers/math are off. Incomming class is not 300. Either way, the larger the class size, the better the curve, the less competition you feel between your classmates. Just think back to your undergrad days when you were in lectures of 300+. Personally I did much better in larger classes. If i remeber correctly, you can fail 3 classes, and then if you fail another, you're out. Failing 3 classes??? If you're worried about that, then maybe dental school, or any professional school isn't for you.

shaliraj said:
hi all

thanks

The answer to your question is none. This is because during your breaks you will be studying due to the fact that when you get back, you will have exams. Especially after Christmas Break.

drcharleshuang said:
Well your numbers/math are off. Incomming class is not 300. Either way, the larger the class size, the better the curve, the less competition you feel between your classmates. Just think back to your undergrad days when you were in lectures of 300+. Personally I did much better in larger classes. If i remeber correctly, you can fail 3 classes, and then if you fail another, you're out. Failing 3 classes??? If you're worried about that, then maybe dental school, or any professional school isn't for you.

By the way, NYU doe not give out curves as of last year, so good luck trying to get those curves.

dentalstudent72 said:
By the way, NYU doe not give out curves as of last year, so good luck trying to get those curves.

That's fine, curves or not, it doesn't really matter. I'm not concerned about it as much as you are. The truth is, all classes are eventually curved in the end. A professor will give out a certain amount of A's, B's C's, D's and for you an F. :laugh: Why are you so caught up in the negatives of a school? And why are you so desperately trying to convince people not to go to dschool? Your lies are very transparent. You manipulation techniques are quite novice and we all know behind that computer screen is a poor child that didn't get into dschool. Try again next year sweetie. :smuggrin:

drcharleshuang said:
Why are you so caught up in the negatives of a school? And why are you so desperately trying to convince people not to go to dschool? Your lies are very transparent. You manipulation techniques are quite novice and we all know behind that computer screen is a poor child that didn't get into dschool. Try again next year sweetie. :smuggrin:

I agree with you on this aspect. That guy, dentalstudent72 has little credibility on SDN since he/she barely has little bit more than 5 posts, and all of them are negative comments toward NYU. I strongly suggest anyone to just disregard him or her.

I owe the board and NYUCD an apology. My numbers were based on what I read here on SDN (i.e. second hand information). I did not verify these numbers (have no way of doing that).

I apologize for it.
Chill...

PS: I have no connection to NYUCD in any way (not a predent or applicant).

MeBuckeye said:

Consider this:

Pi__Guy1 said:
summer between D2 and D3 = August 19th - Sept 5th

apart from the laptop what are the other items we require to carry with us everyday to school during D2.I ask you this because i am going to travel nearly 1.5 hrs to school.

thanks in advance.

Does anyone know the curriculum for D1 students? What classses we will be taking etc? thanks

norcal81 said:
Does anyone know the curriculum for D1 students? What classses we will be taking etc? thanks

wow... you nerd

drcharleshuang said:

drcharleshuang, first of all I want to tell you that failing 3 classes at NYUCD during the first 2 years is quite easy. You may have worked your hardest and still fail those classes. This is why they have a summer remediation setup for this. During the month of June is hell, you have ~6-7 exams during that month. I love it when people state their own opinions when they have not even attended the school. You will come to realize when you come here that the school has a good thing going. Rip off students with charging them the most tution in the country and treat them like **** on top of that. You will find that there is anomosity between the students and much of the faculty. You may end up liking some of them. I liked very few of them my first 2 years. When it comes down to it, the faculty dont have your best interest. Enough said.

Toothguy05, you're a 4th year correct? Wasn't your year the experiemental year, where they were notorious for dropping many students, as they adopted a new curriculum? Is your D1, D2 experience concurrent to D1 D2 students now? I value your insights whether they be negative or overly emotional. But in all honesty, this is your school your talking about. Regardless of how much you hate it, don't you think you should have a little pride. You should be proud of yourself for getting through the rigors of NYU dental and i'm' sure it has caused you to become a stronger person in general. Anyway, congrats on finishing dschool, hopefully you will appreciate the doors NYU has opened up for you as a practicing dentist.

i have had 5 family members graduate from nyu dental school. needless to say, i have heard it all from them concerning life at nyu, the bull you have to get through, and the amount of work they throw at you. after reading all of these posts about nyu and comparing them to what my family says, i have this to say regarding the post's validity: take everything you read with a grain of salt. don't disregard things you read because of their extreme nature, but also don't hang onto their every word or implication. based on the combined efforts of these posts to provide future students (including myself) with a general idea of nyu, i think most of you should be able to put the pieces together and begin to see what the 4 years ahead will bring. clearly it will be a shock for us regardless of how much we mentally prepare ourselves, however. everyone's experience will be different, but i'm sure everyone will experience both extreme highs and lows. prepare yourself for the worst and don't be surprised if some of the horrible things mentioned are true - however, don't be surprised if many of the good things stated are also true...you may even enjoy some things not previously mentioned in these posts. just wanted to give everyone another prespective based on multiple family members experienced with the school. good luck to everyone!

accu94672 said:
There is almost always something new to learn about what forms to fill out. But you're afraid to ask about it because the staff members are so busy or easily get annoyed.

So very true. And I'm learning this the hard way.

justen-nyc said:
take everything you read with a grain of salt. don't disregard things you read because of their extreme nature, but also don't hang onto their every word or implication. based on the combined efforts of these posts to provide future students... Clearly it will be a shock for us regardless of how much we mentally prepare ourselves, however. everyone's experience will be different, but i'm sure everyone will experience both extreme highs and lows. prepare yourself for the worst and don't be surprised if some of the horrible things mentioned are true - however, don't be surprised if many of the good things stated are also true...you may even enjoy some things not previously mentioned in these posts.

This is so generic. It applies to life in general. I can cut/paste this and put it under a new thread called... "How to live your life."
;)

norcal81 said:

I'm with you on this one brother; except I'm not going to NYU. But we are preparing for dental school with the same dedication.

justen-nyc said:
i take everything you read with a grain of salt. don't disregard things you read because of their extreme nature, but also don't hang onto their every word or implication. based on the combined efforts of these posts to provide future students (including myself) with a general idea of nyu, i think most of you should be able to put the pieces together and begin to see what the 4 years ahead will bring. clearly it will be a shock for us regardless of how much we mentally prepare ourselves, however. everyone's experience will be different, but i'm sure everyone will experience both extreme highs and lows. prepare yourself for the worst and don't be surprised if some of the horrible things mentioned are true - however, don't be surprised if many of the good things stated are also true...you may even enjoy some things not previously mentioned in these posts. just wanted to give everyone another prespective based on multiple family members experienced with the school. good luck to everyone!
In other words: Damned if you do and damned if you don't! or You're getting screwed one way or another! :)
One day you all will be able to look back and smile! :) Good luck! (You'll need it!)

Hi,
Can anyone tell me if its a bad idea to take 2 days after winter break for a 2nd year student. I start as as a 2nd year this fall. I heard that winter break is from Dec 16th to Jan 3rd. As I would have to be overseas at that time, I was hoping to take the 3rd and 4th off and return on the 5th. But someone said on this thread that we have exams soon after we return. So would it be the first week upon returning? like on the 3rd itself???
Would it be okay to miss the first 2 days in Jan??

bluearmy said:
Hi,
Can anyone tell me if its a bad idea to take 2 days after winter break for a 2nd year student. I start as as a 2nd year this fall. I heard that winter break is from Dec 16th to Jan 3rd. As I would have to be overseas at that time, I was hoping to take the 3rd and 4th off and return on the 5th. But someone said on this thread that we have exams soon after we return. So would it be the first week upon returning? like on the 3rd itself???

It depends.

bump

bluearmy said:
Hi,