NYU Rejection without interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdavid

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I didnt get an official notice from NYU, but they arent giving out interviews anymore so im assuming....
But I dont get why i was rejected pre-interview. 38 MCAT, 3.9 GPA, good EC's and LORs??? I sent them an email last week asking for a reason but no response. Any ideas, anything I can do, or is that the breaks??

Members don't see this ad.

mdavid said:
I didnt get an official notice from NYU, but they arent giving out interviews anymore so im assuming....
But I dont get why i was rejected pre-interview. 38 MCAT, 3.9 GPA, good EC's and LORs??? I sent them an email last week asking for a reason but no response. Any ideas, anything I can do, or is that the breaks??

man, i'm just as pissed as you are. this process makes no sense. i'm really mad actually at nyu. SCREW YOU and your stupid lovely med school. :mad:

i don't know when they're gonna send us our stupid rejections.

mdavid said:

Are you sure that you have sterling LORs? Are your personal statements well written (grammar & spelling as well as content)? Those are two things that can derail an otherwise excellent candidate.

Members don't see this ad :)
For a school that is not even in the top 20, NYU is pretty cocky.

LizzyM said:
Are you sure that you have sterling LORs? Are your personal statements well written (grammar & spelling as well as content)? Those are two things that can derail an otherwise excellent candidate.

I don't know about him, but my LORs are literally engraved in sterling and my personal statement is sweet. My stupid GPA is bringing me down. I'm like, quit bringin me down! And it's like, whatever, I do what I want.

What can you do. :(

LizzyM said:

Yes and yes...but even if not dont my numbers and ECs warrant an interview?

A sense of entitlement will only frustrate you in this process. Everyone knows it's a crap shoot and you can't expect to be interviewed at every school you apply to because you have good numbers. I was talking to a friend on an adcom who said that this is the strongest applicant pool they've seen in years and 30 schools could fill their classes with 3.5+ 35+ applicants if they didn't take other factors into consideration.

letmein10 said:
A sense of entitlement will only frustrate you in this process. Everyone knows it's a crap shoot and you can't expect to be interviewed at every school you apply to because you have good numbers. I was talking to a friend on an adcom who said that this is the strongest applicant pool they've seen in years and 30 schools could fill their classes with 3.5+ 35+ applicants if they didn't take other factors into consideration.

i don't have a 35, but i still wanted an interview. :(

Personally, I read 800+ applications this year. Only 125 of those applicants can/will be granted an interview (I'm not the only reader and I don't have the only, or the final say and I'm not at NYU but at a similar school).

Numbers alone are not enough. Sometimes a reader will find the littlest thing to justify putting an applciant in the "no interview" pile. That's why I mentioned the personal statement & letters. "no interview" is an awfully big pile and sometimes the reader will comfort himself with the thought that the applicant with such good numbers will get in somewhere else.

LizzyM said:
Personally, I read 800+ applications this year. Only 125 of those applicants can/will be granted an interview (I'm not the only reader and I don't have the only, or the final say and I'm not at NYU but at a similar school).

Numbers alone are not enough. Sometimes a reader will find the littlest thing to justify putting an applciant in the "no interview" pile. That's why I mentioned the personal statement & letters. "no interview" is an awfully big pile and sometimes the reader will comfort himself with the thought that the applicant with such good numbers will get in somewhere else.

Do you think sending a letter of interest (if you are competitive in numbers, LORs, etc) before being offered an interview could help you get out of the "no interview" pile or at least avoid it?

bug22catch said:
Do you think sending a letter of interest (if you are competitive in numbers, LORs, etc) before being offered an interview could help you get out of the "no interview" pile or at least avoid it?

I don't know. I'm not the final word on who gets an interview and maybe the higher ups would be swayed by a letter but you are suppose to have made that point in your supplemental, aren't you?

mdavid said:
exactly the same situation. i actually got the email of the dean of admissions and asked and she replied saying that my file was reviewed and i was not granted an interview, and then she said she could not give me specific reasons. whatever.

a friend of mine goes to NYU and said that they often will not interview candidates who they like but don't think would choose their institution. maybe he made this seem like a more common practice than it is, but i'm guessing there's at least some truth to it. that's what i tell myself, at least ;)

i really do like NYU and was really hoping to at least interview there...but i can't complain with how everything else has gone for me! can't win 'em all!

Members don't see this ad :)
mdavid said:

Do you already have an acceptance? If you do, then don't sweat it. Nice stats, and remember our friend Wiggy. It's not just about the numbers.

LizzyM said:
I don't know. I'm not the final word on who gets an interview and maybe the higher ups would be swayed by a letter but you are suppose to have made that point in your supplemental, aren't you?

NYU's supplemental gives no extra info. Just a waste of $100--no essay, nothing that wasnt on the primary.

silas2642 said:
Do you already have an acceptance? If you do, then don't sweat it. Nice stats, and remember our friend Wiggy. It's not just about the numbers.
waiting on Mt. Sinai, Einstein, and downstate.

NYU are cocky bastards :mad: I did not even get an interview there, and I have GPA 3.8 in Master of Science program at NYU and 3 NYU faculty LORs!!!

I hate them with all my heart right now, and am seriously considering writing them a very nasty e-mail. **** them, I will be much happier at a much better school :mad:

Got the rejection letter today. Time for a collective bon fire boys!

Got the dreaded thin envelope today. :( I wonder why NYU ends their interviewing season so early. Don't they want to be like other schools and torture us for months on end? :p

Hah the thing that sucks is that I gotta goto NYU tomorrow to work at a lab. Talk about irony right. Hah I should just plaster the letter on the admissions office door.

zero2hero said:
Hah the thing that sucks is that I gotta goto NYU tomorrow to work at a lab. Talk about irony right. Hah I should just plaster the letter on the admissions office door.

Talk about salt in the wound!

mdavid said:

Got mine in the mail yesterday, if that helps....

I got my NYU paper rejection via snail last week. Kind of a long shot anyways.

interiewed at harvard, duke, columbia, cornell, einstein and sina

MCAT 38
GPA 3.94 at an ivy league school
served as an officer in the army for 4 years before college
stellar letters of rec
plenty of teaching and research experience

and yet no interview??

i think NYU knew that iw ould get in more prestigious and they didnt want to waste their time on me. i have several friends who had similar situations.

it was my last choice anyways. its just weird that i may get in to a few reach schools and not my "safety".

kasha said:

MCAT 38
stellar letters of rec

and yet no interview??

i think NYU knew that iw ould get in more prestigious and they didnt want to waste their time on me. i have several friends who had similar situations.

it was my last choice anyways. its just weird that i may get in to a few reach schools and not my "safety".

i've been competitive at similar institutions and did not get an interview at NYU either! a friend of mine who is an M2 at NYU and is involved in the admissions process said that he and other students were fighting the ADCOM's likely unofficial policy this year of not interviewing many people who they figured applied there only as a back-up school. apparently they've gotten screwed a lot in the past in admitting lots of people who didn't end up coming...

so i say cut your losses and feel fortunate that you've gotten interviewed elsewhere! just let NYU miss out on all that you would have brought to their institution! ;)

I got my snail mail rejection today. No interview from my alma mater! I did so well here. :(

i got one too. i'd forgotten i'd even applied there, and poof! a rejection appears.

can i get a "what! what!"

I understand when NYU rejected stellar applicants who probably would end up going to a more prestigious school, but what about people like me who have stats that are right on par with the NYU average?

Got the big R letter yesterday. :thumbdown:

kasha said:

MCAT 38
stellar letters of rec

and yet no interview??

Hey, guess what...same stats, ivy league, interviewed at top 10 schools and yet I managed to get an interview at NYU. I hate people who come on here and think that because you have good numbers you're entitled to interview at every school you apply to, complain about not getting an interview at one school, then chalk it up to "being too good for the school." If it's your last choice, then why are you checking this thread and posting to vent your frustrations? Maybe for some reason they felt you wouldn't quite fit there...but go ahead and continue to blame it on other people.

gluon999 said:
I understand when NYU rejected stellar applicants who probably would end up going to a more prestigious school, but what about people like me who have stats that are right on par with the NYU average?

Got the big R letter yesterday. :thumbdown:

Or people like me, who are below thier standards? I mean they need to meet the quota of one dumb kid with questionable admission per year to the class and who is better than moi.

RayhanS1282 said:
Or people like me, who are below thier standards? I mean they need to meet the quota of one dumb kid with questionable admission per year to the class and who is better than moi.

Hey man, sorry to read your blurb about the Drexel rejection. I had a similar experience there. Both of my interviews were short (around 20-25 mins each) and neither of them asked any tough questions, which leads me to the question, do they just flip a coin when deciding who to accept/reject post-interview?

A 31 on the MCAT is a very good score, and your GPA is almost near the avg. for most SUNY schools. I wonder why you didn't get any interviews from them. Do you think it could be a red flag on your letter of recommendation?

lazygunner said:
Hey, guess what...same stats, ivy league, interviewed at top 10 schools and yet I managed to get an interview at NYU. I hate people who come on here and think that because you have good numbers you're entitled to interview at every school you apply to, complain about not getting an interview at one school, then chalk it up to "being too good for the school." If it's your last choice, then why are you checking this thread and posting to vent your frustrations? Maybe for some reason they felt you wouldn't quite fit there...but go ahead and continue to blame it on other people.

actually,

if you read my post you will see absolutely no hint of venting or agression. i read this thread just out of curiosity and thought that i might console others. now, if you think that i am in the minority when i applied to several reach schools and 1 school i considered a safety, then you arent being honest. everyone has a school where they think they have more chances of getting in to when compared to other schools. you cant look at my numbers and background and not say "yeh he will get in to NYU". its not an issue of being stuck up. i am a competitive applicant and that's a fact.

so NYU, good luck :)

lazygunner said:

if you 'hate people', of any kind, maybe you should be looking for a different career...

kasha said:
actually,

if you read my post you will see absolutely no hint of venting or agression. i read this thread just out of curiosity and thought that i might console others. now, if you think that i am in the minority when i applied to several reach schools and 1 school i considered a safety, then you arent being honest. everyone has a school where they think they have more chances of getting in to when compared to other schools. you cant look at my numbers and background and not say "yeh he will get in to NYU". its not an issue of being stuck up. i am a competitive applicant and that's a fact.

so NYU, good luck :)

granted your numbers are quite competitive, high caliber applicants are a dime a dozen in this process at just about EVERY medical school. i think it's a tad presumptuous to think that your numbers merit you an interview at NYU when there are likely a thousand other people identicle to you on paper. i have a lot of respect for your stats, but i don't think it's realistic to think they will automatically get you an interview everywhere.

jesus, everyone needs to chill out. some people get interviews, some people don't. there's no need to attach your ego to it (not that I don't do that). maybe a phrase you used in your ps was a pet peeve of your reader, it doesn't reflect on you as a person.

and if you DID get an interview somewhere, no need to feel belittled when other people bring up that this is an unpredictable subjective process that isn't in any way connected to how good a person you are, and is only tenously connected to how smart you are.

march is a tough month. lets just be nice.

kasha said:
if you 'hate people', of any kind, maybe you should be looking for a different career...
:laugh: you're absolutely right...this one overstatement clearly exemplifies my entire existance. I am a terrible person with no compassion whatsoever. What was I thinking applying to medical school with such a dark, vacuous soul. Thanks for straightening me out...I will withdraw my acceptances tomorrow morning and begin applying for fast food jobs post-haste.

gluon999 said:
Hey man, sorry to read your blurb about the Drexel rejection. I had a similar experience there. Both of my interviews were short (around 20-25 mins each) and neither of them asked any tough questions, which leads me to the question, do they just flip a coin when deciding who to accept/reject post-interview?

A 31 on the MCAT is a very good score, and your GPA is almost near the avg. for most SUNY schools. I wonder why you didn't get any interviews from them. Do you think it could be a red flag on your letter of recommendation?

I think they already made up their minds about who to reject and accept even before the interview. But they just invited the rejected people anyways because they wanted to take a look at the face they will not see in their school.

And as for the red flag on the LOR, I really don't know. I got a committee letter which combines LORs from 4 different professors. I actually read one of them because the professor was just that nice (rest his soul) but the other ones I am not so sure about. I asked SUNY Upstate what's the problem after I was placed on hold earlier (prior to rejection) and they told me their avg. GPA is a 3.6 and I only have a 3.5 and also I needed more clinical exposure. I followed their advice and started volunteering at an ER but I couldn't do jack about my grades so, I guess that's why they rejected me. As for Buffalo, they asked me "What do you think is wrong with your application?" I personally saw a lot of things wrong with my application but I didn't want to give them any more ammo. Downstate doesn't talk about anything over the phone and neither does Stony, so obviously I couldn't ask them anything. I e-mailed Dr. Hanau about what was wrong on the application or what went wrong during the interview (was it my suit, was it not dark enough? was my hair not parted right? or was the reason for rejection was simply because I exist), and long post short no reply from them either. I am really getting used to being ignored or rejected. I guess it'll prep me for the real world. Thank you schools, may I have another.

lazygunner said:
:laugh: you're absolutely right...this one overstatement clearly exemplifies my entire existance. I am a terrible person with no compassion whatsoever. What was I thinking applying to medical school with such a dark, vacuous soul. Thanks for straightening me out...I will withdraw my acceptances tomorrow morning and begin applying for fast food jobs post-haste.

or you could say you're sorry and you didn't mean it

dbhvt said:
or you could say you're sorry and you didn't mean it
I think that was implied by the term "overstatement" in my response. Who exactly am I apologizing to here? Either some people are being a bit too sensitive and literal or I'm taking crazy pills...not sure. How about I strongly dislike posts like this. I hope this does not offend anyone and make me an inferior candidate for medical school.

kasha said:
actually, if you read my post you will see absolutely no hint of venting or agression. i read this thread just out of curiosity and thought that i might console others.
kasha said:

MCAT 38

i think NYU knew that i would get in more prestigious and they didnt want to waste their time on me.
My bad, my first read through I completely missed how through stating your impressive interviews and stats you would obviously make people feel better about not getting an nyu interview. Silly me...I guess psychiatry just won't be my thing.

Pardon my sarcasm, but obsurdity like this merits such responses.

dbhvt said:
jmarch is a tough month. lets just be nice.
Agreed...starting now

Joining the list of rejected pre-interview. Damn you NYU, damn you! I am seriously considering composing a rejection letter and sending to all those damn schools. What the hell took them so long, playing w/ my emotions for so long?