NYU reputation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sayilohyee

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is NYU a good school ?
Maybe it's just a rumor,but I heard that everyone gets into NYU..so it's like a "safety school" according to some people..... :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I feel that the reason NYU is considered a safety school is because they accept more students, over 200, for first year. That is twice as much as most other dental schools.

Considering that more then 4000 applicantions are received by NYU each year, it definitely does not mean that everybody gets in.

Though a lot of people who get accepted into NYU and other schools they would often pick the other schools first because NYU tuition is expensive and cost of living is expensive, too.

Yea NYU does accept a lot of students but it shouldn't be considered as a safety school because a lot of people do apply and it is the most expensive dental school there is. It wouldnt be an easy tuition to pay off.

Members don't see this ad :)
i just dont understand why 4,000 would consider going to NYU. i just dont get that place at all!

NYU is not considered a safety school! It's still competitive to gain acceptance there. The chances of getting an interview is roughly 13% but once you get an interview there, the likelihood of acceptance is high (88%) due to the fact that people with multiple acceptances will drop NYU since it's one of the most expensive tuition and living.

Def not a safety school. I was just wait-listed. The school is beautiful and has SO much to offer. But its OK, because I'm going to my number 1!! The only thing that could possibly sway me is Buffalo's tution...

definitely not a safety school. I application was completed long time ago and i have not heard back from this school.

NYU is not considered a safety school! It's still competitive to gain acceptance there. The chances of getting an interview is roughly 13% but once you get an interview there, the likelihood of acceptance is high (88%) due to the fact that people with multiple acceptances will drop NYU since it's one of the most expensive tuition and living.

Its reassuring to know that the acceptance rate is high because I won't interview with them until next week, which is obviously after Dec 1st. I am actually dreadful of the temperature...high is in lower 40's during the two days I'll be there, and it is supposed to rain during my interview day...

So what do we know about the # of acceptances they've sent out on Dec 1st? Is it enough to fill the class yet? Have they responded to all pre-Dec 1st?

I interviewed at NYU and it is a stellar institution when it comes to resources, facilities, and automation. But the guy who works there who had lunch with us told us they accept 600 people (out of 800 interviewees). I was a little surprised at this.

Its reassuring to know that the acceptance rate is high because I won't interview with them until next week, which is obviously after Dec 1st. I am actually dreadful of the temperature...high is in lower 40's during the two days I'll be there, and it is supposed to rain during my interview day...

So what do we know about the # of acceptances they've sent out on Dec 1st? Is it enough to fill the class yet? Have they responded to all pre-Dec 1st?

Pffft are you kidding, thats pretty balmy for this time of year. When you hit 40's in the spring people start busting out the shorts. But the city at Christmas time is amazingly beautiful.

The reputation of NYU will take care of itself, if and when you get an interview there and talk to current students during the visit of the school. Until then, you needn't worry about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed at NYU and it is a stellar institution when it comes to resources, facilities, and automation. But the guy who works there who had lunch with us told us they accept 600 people (out of 800 interviewees). I was a little surprised at this.

That sounds about right to me. Their class size is something like 232, and 600 is on par with what they need to fill that class due to their tuition and cost of living. It is definitely not a safety school. If I didn't get accepted to UoP, I would be hard pressed not to go there, even if my other schools accepted me. UoP just has been my dream school for a while.

How many peolpe they accept or safety school aside, their program is not very good, their class size is too big and they dont have enough faculty to properly provide that personal education that the better schools can offer. To them you are just dollars and that is all they really care about. I actually spoke on my interview to 2 other schools about NYU and neiother school had anything nice to say.

How many peolpe they accept or safety school aside, their program is not very good, their class size is too big and they dont have enough faculty to properly provide that personal education that the better schools can offer. To them you are just dollars and that is all they really care about. I actually spoke on my interview to 2 other schools about NYU and neiother school had anything nice to say.

while i do agree with you that they are a large, expensive, and what seemed to me (to an extent) like a somewhat disorganized school, they do grant a DDS like all other d-schools.
by the way, speaking to other schools doesn't add up to much. there is clear bias on those schools parts to recruit you AND take your money.......so it can be said that you are "just dollars to them," just like NYU and pretty much every college/university in the country. obviously schools you interview with have shown interest, invested in you, and want you to come to their school, so they will talk down others and sell/market theirs.

while i do agree with you that they are a large, expensive, and what seemed to me (to an extent) like a somewhat disorganized school, they do grant a DDS like all other d-schools.
by the way, speaking to other schools doesn't add up to much. there is clear bias on those schools parts to recruit you AND take your money.......so it can be said that you are "just dollars to them," just like NYU and pretty much every college/university in the country. obviously schools you interview with have shown interest, invested in you, and want you to come to their school, so they will talk down others and sell/market theirs.

The better schools do not try and "sell" you on their school. They show you the school and the school sells itself. NYU, Temple and maybe a couple of others actually need to sellm you on cominjg there, cuz otherwise they would have zero "top" applicants.

I have interviewed at Temple and NYU. I decided that NYU isn't for me because of tuition, too large of a class size, and other personal reasons, but I really enjoyed Temple -- anyway I feel that of the four schools I've interviewed at these two were the onlyones who didn't try to sell the school and told us of both the good and bad points of their respective schools. Both New Jersey and Stony Brook only presented the good, as if there were no negatives to either school. Granted, Stony Brook is still my current top choice and I'm hoping I'll end up waitlisted or something and eventually get in, and congrats to you on getting accepted, but I just wanted to comment on the 'selling of the school.'

The better schools do not try and "sell" you on their school. They show you the school and the school sells itself. NYU, Temple and maybe a couple of others actually need to sellm you on cominjg there, cuz otherwise they would have zero "top" applicants.

I agree. I thought I was the only one who noticed this. Both schools have a great sales department. Brian in Temple, even criticized some specific schools openly with not the best rational arguments, just pure scolding and bashing.
NYU constantly sells the city and the guy from "Bodies", but it wont tell you that you will probably have to live in Queens... not so nice anymore, uh?

They are probably good schools and you can become a fine dentist, but be aware of the sales pitch.

you are right, but that distinction might only be a bit more relevant for "top" applicants. all schools have to sell themselves regardless of the applicant's stats.
i'll entertain myself here for a minute. for example, if there is a "top" school, let's say a mercedes-benz dealership, then the salesman does have to do some selling, but they know that the caliber of customer that comes to look is pretty high, so the brand does sell itself to a certain point.
in the same light, if nyu is the honda dealership, the salesman may have to sell slightly harder to "top" students than the benz salesman, but he also knows that he has a much larger volume of "top" and "non-top" customers that come to look, so this brand also sells itself.
both salesman want your money, and the reality is the "nyu, temple, and others" are probably having an easier time getting it.

note: i prefer my state school because its a volvo.....safer/cheaper than a benz with the same amenities.
second note: in the case of private schools and my analogy, hondas that cost as much as a benz??:laugh:

I agree. I thought I was the only one who noticed this. Both schools have a great sales department. Brian in Temple, even criticized some specific schools openly with not the best rational arguments, just pure scolding and bashing.
NYU constantly sells the city and the guy from "Bodies", but it wont tell you that you will probably have to live in Queens... not so nice anymore, uh?

They are probably good schools and you can become a fine dentist, but be aware of the sales pitch.

I got none of this vibe when I interviewed at NYU. I came in with preconcieved notions about the school, and I left with them shattered. I thought NYU was one of the more impressive places I visited.

I got none of this vibe when I interviewed at NYU. I came in with preconcieved notions about the school, and I left with them shattered. I thought NYU was one of the more impressive places I visited.

Im curious what it is that impressed you there??

you are right, but that distinction might only be a bit more relevant for "top" applicants. all schools have to sell themselves regardless of the applicant's stats.
i'll entertain myself here for a minute. for example, if there is a "top" school, let's say a mercedes-benz dealership, then the salesman does have to do some selling, but they know that the caliber of customer that comes to look is pretty high, so the brand does sell itself to a certain point.
in the same light, if nyu is the honda dealership, the salesman may have to sell slightly harder to "top" students than the benz salesman, but he also knows that he has a much larger volume of "top" and "non-top" customers that come to look, so this brand also sells itself.
both salesman want your money, and the reality is the "nyu, temple, and others" are probably having an easier time getting it.

note: i prefer my state school because its a volvo.....safer/cheaper than a benz with the same amenities.
second note: in the case of private schools and my analogy, hondas that cost as much as a benz??:laugh:

I agree with alot of what you said. However you have to rember that I dont think there is anyone that is being honest with thyemselves or us who's number 1 choice from the getgo was NYU. Most people are thrilled to go there simply because when yo finish unless you want to specialize you are the same DDS as the graduate from Stonybrook or Columbia. However they go there because they have to not because they want to. I may be way off base here but thats my opinion.

I agree with alot of what you said. However you have to rember that I dont think there is anyone that is being honest with thyemselves or us who's number 1 choice from the getgo was NYU. Most people are thrilled to go there simply because when yo finish unless you want to specialize you are the same DDS as the graduate from Stonybrook or Columbia. However they go there because they have to not because they want to. I may be way off base here but thats my opinion.

i agree. to the average applicant who was interviewed at nyu as well as other schools, it doesn't seem to be their top choice, unless there are circumstances that you stated above.
however, your original argument was that nyu and others sell themselves more than others, which i don't agree with. i'm certain every school is equal in its sales pitch, but i think its just perceived differently by applicants.
simply put, every d-school is a business, and must sell themselves to make money. perhaps why so many tanked in the last 20 years, including northwestern, which one would think is a well ranked school to sell itself.

i agree. to the average applicant who was interviewed at nyu as well as other schools, it doesn't seem to be their top choice, unless there are circumstances that you stated above.
however, your original argument was that nyu and others sell themselves more than others, which i don't agree with. i'm certain every school is equal in its sales pitch, but i think its just perceived differently by applicants.
simply put, every d-school is a business, and must sell themselves to make money. perhaps why so many tanked in the last 20 years, including northwestern, which one would think is a well ranked school to sell itself.

Of course all schools are in a business of attracting the best students, I am not arguing that, but some pitch by showing you a great facility, great board passing %, research results, while others pitch the city, the famous names, or by criticizing other schools. Why do you think most schools ask rejecting students where they decided to go instead? they want to know what schools are taking away their acceptances...

Attending any school is a privilege and a great opportunity. All I am saying is that some schools pitch more than others and you need to be aware and filter out the pitch when deciding, if you get to choose.

NYU is a respected institution just like the other dental schools. Everyone singles it out because it's so large and so well-funded. It is expensive, but a lot of D schools are pretty close to it when it comes to price. I'm so tired of all the special treatment and NYU gets on SDN. I had so many bad preconceived notions when I went there, and I also had them shattered.

Unlike many other schools, you already need to have a bachelor's degree to even apply to NYU.

It wasn't a safety school when my dad went there :(
But ya, he has not contributed a dollar as an alumni due to their "ways" of doing things nowadays.

Unlike many other schools, you already need to have a bachelor's degree to even apply to NYU.

Slightly wrong there. You need a bachelor's degree by the time you matriculate into the school. Apply for the year after your senior year so you graduate in May and start in the Fall.

...nice plug for the school's you were accepted by...

Bottom line is that it's a very expensive school with a large class size. That is a concern for some, not for others.

And I'd take a Honda over ANY Volvo and MANY (not all) Benz's any day :cool:

I would hope that future professionals would be smart enough to form there own opinions. it's pretty easy to listen to the rumors and follow along when people bash a school such as NYU, are you not capable of thinking for yourself? NYU offers opportunities that you can't find anywhere else. For a bunch of kids who have never picked up a hand piece or pulled a tooth to sit around and critize a school they know nothing about is hilarious. dental school is a little different than college folks, NYU offers a solid dental education. Period. Many other schools do too. Ultimately your education is on your shoulders no matter where you go

I would hope that future professionals would be smart enough to form there own opinions. it's pretty easy to listen to the rumors and follow along when people bash a school such as NYU, are you not capable of thinking for yourself? NYU offers opportunities that you can't find anywhere else. For a bunch of kids who have never picked up a hand piece or pulled a tooth to sit around and critize a school they know nothing about is hilarious. dental school is a little different than college folks, NYU offers a solid dental education. Period. Many other schools do too. Ultimately your education is on your shoulders no matter where you go

Well said, buddy.