Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

NYU Students!!

Discussion in 'Dental' started by yeabuddy, Mar 6, 2007.

1. yeabuddy

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I live in Suffolk County Long Island, approximately a little more than an hour from NYU by car and/or train. Is it possible to commute to NYU dental school and still be able to handle the course load??

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Dental Dork 09

2+ Year Member

My buddy in the class of 2007 says that a girl commuttes there from Philly everyday since year 1

So yeah, its possible.

4. pts218

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I've heard of students commuting from Philly, Long Island and far into New Jersey so it is possible. I guess you just have to decide whether you can handle the commute and it not hinder your performance. First and Second year I felt like I was in school a lot, even when we weren't in class or pre-clinical sessions. I liked to study in groups and to practice my dentistry skills when we had the time, even on the weekends, so I liked being close by.

Good luck

5. coreyb

coreyb Dentist
    10+ Year Member

Dentist
    I'm living on Staten Island and take the express bus in. My commute time is about 1 hour.

It can be done, and I actually use the time on the bus for studying (or sleeping!).

My suggestion if you're driving, use the MP3 class transcripts and listen to them on your commute.

Good luck!

6. sam26880

sam26880 Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Bad idea!!!! Don't do it. My younger brother goes to NYU. He's 1st year. We live together in brooklyn. He's starting to hate the commute and thinks it's taking up too much of his time. He can't keep up. I would strongly suggest you get a place as close to NYU as possible.

7. dentwannabe

dentwannabe Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

How long is his commute?

I know some people consider jersey city right across the river. know that the PATH train from Pavonia/Newport is 15 minutes to 23rd st at like 6th avenue, then from there to the school i cant imagine it taking more than 10 minutes.

8. CosmeticDent2B

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Probably more like 20-30 mins from 6th

9. dentwannabe

dentwannabe Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

you're telling me it takes 20-30 min. to get from 23rd and 6th to 23rd and 2nd?? i find that hard to believe. is this via subway or bus?

10. vaio

vaio Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

if you walk it may take you ~15 mins......i think buses run at certain time intervals

11. DentalSkills

DentalSkills Member
    5+ Year Member

honestly , it depends on the type of person you are.

I am a first year at NYU and I have alot of friends that commute and do well and some that live across the street and do not. Personally, I think your lifestyle is better if you live nearby because you can go to school and enjoy the city, hang out with you classmates at the many social events we have and not worry about the extra communting factor (not to mention get a decent amount of beauty rest :) ). If you do not plan on being very social and just want to come to school, stay for class and spend the rest of your down time wherever you are living, then save yourself some money and commute!

12. Chenist

Dental Student
    Anybody in nyucd class of '07 know a guy named Richard Han? please help if you know of his contact info, thanks!!!

13. NYUCD2010

NYUCD2010 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I know his contact. PM me if you still need it.

14. amulaya

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Hey!
    My strong suggestion to you is just stay closer to NYUCD.i AM JUST TELLING YOU OUT OF MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE.i USED TO COMMUTE FROM nj which took me more than an hour and with NYU HECTIC schedules its really too much.In second year DDs we have to spend lot of time in labs practising as NYU PRACTICAL AND THEORY EXAMS ARE REALLY TOUGH.:oops:

15. mmasurf

10+ Year Member

i have a question what bus takes you from 23rd from the N or R train to 2nd ave? cause walking that everyday is a killer especially for us lazy ppl

16. Cymbidium

Cymbidium Awesome.
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Would you current students recommend living near NYU for the first 2 years and then possibly moving to a more affordable area for the following 2 yrs?

17. stepping stone

stepping stone New Member
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    i am looking for an appartment near nyu.............could you plz advice me which areas are more safe to consider and can anyone give me the contact info for waterside appartments ...........all inputs are appreciated.
    thanks