NYU vs Columbia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ho5i

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pros:
  • More clinical experience
  • Larger alumni network
  • Great location
  • I have a close friend that’s a D1 and he enjoys his experience and I’d have my living situation planned out and insight from a close friend
Cons:
  • Not looked upon favorablely in the dental community
  • Both Columbia and NYU are expensive - about the same
  • Recent scandals I guess?
School 2: Columbia
* IS/OOS?
Pros:
  • Ivy League (I get that it doesn’t matter in the dental world but people outside of it find it remarkably impressive)
  • P/F
  • Not ranked
  • Provides good holistic approach if i decide to do speciality
    Cons:
  • maybe too didactic heavy and not enough clinical experience?
  • Expensive but so is NYU
  • location not as ideal (not that I’ll have too much time to enjoy it
    anyway)
  • Already paid $5000 NYU deposit

• Summary: I only have an outside perspective of each school and would love additional insight. As of now I don’t think I’ll be pursuing any specialities but I’m still ripe in the dental world to make an informed decision. (Also I get that these are both expensive schools and I’ll be in a debt hole and some guy is gonna say neither and while I appreciate the concern that won’t be the route I take haha - and yes I may live to regret it but I have a lot of mentors that can potentially help me escape that)
  • ANY ADDITIONAL INSIGHT IS APPRECIATED!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Pros:
  • More clinical experience
  • Larger alumni network
  • Great location
  • I have a close friend that’s a D1 and he enjoys his experience and I’d have my living situation planned out and insight from a close friend
Cons:
  • Not looked upon favorablely in the dental community
  • Both Columbia and NYU are expensive - about the same
  • Recent scandals I guess?
School 2: Columbia
* IS/OOS?
Pros:
  • Ivy League (I get that it doesn’t matter in the dental world but people outside of it find it remarkably impressive)
  • P/F
  • Not ranked
  • Provides good holistic approach if i decide to do speciality
    Cons:
  • maybe too didactic heavy and not enough clinical experience?
  • Expensive but so is NYU
  • location not as ideal (not that I’ll have too much time to enjoy it
    anyway)
  • Already paid $5000 NYU deposit

• Summary: I only have an outside perspective of each school and would love additional insight. As of now I don’t think I’ll be pursuing any specialities but I’m still ripe in the dental world to make an informed decision. (Also I get that these are both expensive schools and I’ll be in a debt hole and some guy is gonna say neither and while I appreciate the concern that won’t be the route I take haha - and yes I may live to regret it but I have a lot of mentors that can potentially help me escape that)
  • ANY ADDITIONAL INSIGHT IS APPRECIATED!!
not NYU

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
As an NYU student, I would have to say Columbia. The P/F you get will be great for your mental health. You don't have to worry about getting top 25% like me and some of my classmates. I personally think that NYU students may see a slight bit more patients than Columbia students due to the location, but if you are going to work in NYC afterwards, then you will have to do a GPR so this is not an issue.

The way NYU distributes patients and students, 375 students at NYU isn't really an issue and I have not been in a situation where I have even thought "this school has too many students." I personally think that having so many students might actually be beneficial in my experience.
Guess it's just a personal thing, I want to be able to know most of the people in my class and it just seems easier with 90ish people than 375

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah I agree it's a personal thing. For what it's worth, I have really been enjoying the diversity in the NYU student body. We very literally have people from all over. I felt that my small group practice of 25 students is too small. Like, they're nice and all, but not every single one of them are talkers, and some just do their own thing so it can kind of get lonely when only 6-8 of them are regular company. I just really enjoy talking to students that I don't know in the cafeteria or in the library. I think it's a New York City thing and it's honestly a university experience that I never really had.
I feel that, and yeah I think it is an NYC thing lol. My dad grew up there and he talks to anyone and everyone, meanwhile I was born there but raised elsewhere and I like to get to know people but am not as adamant about it as my dad and that side of the family😂

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
In terms of curriculum I can confirm that NYU is easier than Columbia. My best friend goes to Columbia and says that if it wasn't for the pass fail many students would fail. I go to NYU for reference

Columbia dental students take classes with the medical school. you learn the exact same thing as a medical student would and not just the specifics for dental (which is what NYU curriculum is more like). My friend has said that Columbia is very didatic heavy and their clinical skills are actually average as they dont get as much clinical time as other schools. Columbia has a high speciality rate and this is why Columbia is very didactic heavy. According to my friend exams are based on a curve because often times students dont do as well as the medical students.

At NYU none of our grades are curved and there is a flat cutoff rate for grades that all courses use. for example I believe the lowest you can get before failing a class is a C and that's maybe a 65? And an A+ is a 95 I believe. Courses are easier in my opinion because it's more specific to dentistry. For example rather than learning the entire human anatomy like Columbia would we only learned the head and neck.

• Hmm
  • Wow
Reactions: 6 users