NYU vs Northwestern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

anonymousedecision

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I'm pretty much exclusively interested in Academic Medicine, not sure of specialty yet. I was accepted to NYU and recently informed that I'm on the high waitlist with a good chance of getting in before May 1 for Northwestern. Just wondering if anyone can shed some light on what its like actually being a student at either school--community, culture, study groups, etc. I'm ultimately hoping to go back to CA for residency, but I don't feel like either school will really help/hurt in that regard.

Tuition isn't a concern.

NYU

Pros
  • More research in relevant fields
  • Clinical training opportunities with Bellevue and the VA
  • Student body seemed more diverse

Cons
  • Student body seemed more stressed (?)
  • Higher cost of living


Northwestern
Pros
  • High student funding rate for research
  • Lower cost of living
  • Students seemed more laid-back

Cons
  • Chicago is SO COLD
  • SO COLD

Summary: Academically, they seem very similar. Hoping someone can shed some light on the culture and community differences.
 
So I'm pretty much exclusively interested in Academic Medicine, not sure of specialty yet. I was accepted to NYU and recently informed that I'm on the high waitlist with a good chance of getting in before May 1 for Northwestern. Just wondering if anyone can shed some light on what its like actually being a student at either school--community, culture, study groups, etc. I'm ultimately hoping to go back to CA for residency, but I don't feel like either school will really help/hurt in that regard.

Tuition isn't a concern.

NYU

Pros
  • More research in relevant fields
  • Clinical training opportunities with Bellevue and the VA
  • Student body seemed more diverse

Cons
  • Student body seemed more stressed (?)
  • Higher cost of living


Northwestern
Pros
  • High student funding rate for research
  • Lower cost of living
  • Students seemed more laid-back

Cons
  • Chicago is SO COLD
  • SO COLD

Summary: Academically, they seem very similar. Hoping someone can shed some light on the culture and community differences.


When did you find this out? thanks!