• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

littlefish

10+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Hi,

I have to make my decision in one week. I knew something about NYU, but have no clue about Nova. Could anyone give me some suggestions? Which one is better? in terms of school reputation or ranking? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

tamkhan

Kala Budha
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 16, 2006
SDN
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
Nova

Forget about ranking and reputation; there is no such thing in Dentistry.

Go for the cheaper school. Plus, the weather in FL is great!:thumbup:

NYU will cost you a lot more, taking into account the price of housing in NYC. Tuition is also about 50K more at NYU.

Haven't been to NOVA, but NYU is a good school. Too bad it's expensive.

dmonee6

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 2, 2005
Florida
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Weather, cheaper, take boards after 1st year, south florida is awesome (a fact, not my opinion :laugh:).... its got to be Nova :)

About the Ads

drteeth

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2005
South FL
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Nova all the way! As someone who lives in South FL I can tell you that Nova dent has a great reputation and the campus is beautiful and probably as good as it can get for a dental school. Ive seen NYU as well and I can promise you that, personally speaking, I would be a lot happier at Nova much as I love NY. The NYU facilities appear to be outdated and it would depress me to spend 4 solid years of my life in that crowded little building. As a bonus S. Fl. has great weather and will save you a ton of cash!
Just my 2 cents...

J

jackbauer!

I'm going against the grain and will say NYU.

Living in south florida is nothing special. There are a few nice areas by the water, but other than that it's just a bunch of concrete. Couple that with a population of people with little to no substance and education.

Plus, there Nova students on SDN that seem very bitter with the school. I'm not knocking the school, but I think happiness of students is an important factor to consider when choosing a school.

There's a reason why I grew up 30 minutes from Nova and didn't even apply.

jb!:)

littlefish

10+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Thanks so much! Guys.

I've lived in both Boca Raton and Manhattan Uppereast side. The life is different but I can live either one. As I see it now, NOVA can save me about $20,000 a year (tuition and difference in living expense) while NYU may be a better school (Dean of NOVA graduated from NYU).

Question is how about career development? I kown dentisit friends around NYC and NJ, and I'm convinced that I can find a position and patients after I graduate. How about Southern Florida? The chance to be hired by a clinic and the chance to open my own clinic one day?

Thanks again for your comments.

BuckeyMcGee

10+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
I wouldn't be concerned about career development yet, keep your contacts up north and come on down to sunny south florida! I go to Nova (D2) and it is a lot of work but dental school is dental school, there will be crappy terrible days where you want to pull your hair out and days of joy and happiness. I'd go for Nova if I were you just based on financials, I like the cold and would have loved to go up north for school actually. By the way, A TON of professors who teach here went to NYU for dental school. We have some amazingly nice professors, and then really mean ones too! ;)

tamkhan

Kala Budha
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 16, 2006
SDN
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
If money is not an issue for you, it's a difficult choice to make. When I was at NYU, I loved the school. Forget about all the SDN rumors; it's all BS. NYU is a great school, and will be an even better one in the near future. I had the hardest time deciding b/w NYU and BU. In the end, I went with the more comfortable city.

Mackchops

Toothy grin
15+ Year Member
Dec 9, 2003
San Antonio
www.uthscsa.edu
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
Everyone says that nothing but $$$ matters when applying to d-school but I'll argue that NYU is the very specific reason why that is no longer true. It's progressive, state of the art (whoever said the facilities are dungy hasn't been there in the last couple of years or at least didn't make it out of the basement level), and, as Dr. Wong from UCLA said (who is leading the proteome mapping in salivary diagnostics), "NYU will be the dental school against which all other dental schools are compared by 2011".

Think about other professional schools (medicine, law) and how different each program is -- based on rankings, research, and depth of faculty in a particular area. I'd argue that if you want to drill and fill for the rest of your life you'll learn how to be a competent dentist anywhere and $$$ (and maybe sunshine) really is the determining factor. However, if you are suckered into the belief that the application of dentistry as a "medical" profession (salivary Dx, systemic health/oral disease correlation, etc) is our future then you would be best served attending a school that was dedicated towards this educational philosophy. I don't know anything about how Nova's tackling this, but I'm pretty impressed with NYU so far...

In the end, you win either way. Dentistry is getting to the point where it will be crazy hard to get in ANYWHERE, let alone have to make a choice between schools. It seems the secret got out that this is the best profession out there...

La Miraflorina

Dental Diva
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 22, 2004
Bmore, MD
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
I don't go to either of those schools but I did live 10 min from Nova for a year and a half and worked for 2 doctors who graduated from there. They were both pretty successful right out of school and had nothing but good things to say about the school. The campus is gorgeous, the facilities are new - it's still building a reputation, however, since it is such a new school. Down in S. FL, everyone says wonderful things about it but it's not really that well-known yet up north.

As for the area, Ft. Lauderdale and S. FL in general aren't my cup of tea. I grew up in MA so it wasn't what I was used to. To me, it's tons of highways, strip malls, cheesy superficial people etc..

The weather IS AMAZING except for the summertime. I was down there for Katrina and Wilma and decided right then and there I would not ever build my practice nor my home in S. FL.

I think NYC is a fabulous place to live but I haven't heard the best things about NYU. However, I can't say much about the school since I never visited it personally.

With all that said, there's no perfect school or place. Deciding where you're going to spend the next 4 years of your life and have your degree from is a pretty big decision. Decide what's important to you and make a list of pros and cons ;)

visbimmer79

Cornellian
10+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2008
Seoul, Korea
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Nova

Forget about ranking and reputation; there is no such thing in Dentistry.

Go for the cheaper school. Plus, the weather in FL is great!:thumbup:

NYU will cost you a lot more, taking into account the price of housing in NYC. Tuition is also about 50K more at NYU.

Haven't been to NOVA, but NYU is a good school. Too bad it's expensive.

He said the weather in Fl is great!

Is it true?

Can anybody describe the weather a little bit more?

In fact, what I want to know is about the hurricane!

Does it affect 'NOVA area', too?

How serious is it?

----Just quick urgent question----

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.