NYU vs. Tulane vs. Boston University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hnbui

Addicted to Yale Med
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm having a problem choosing which school to go to for undergrad pre-med studies.....

In your honest opinion which is the best for a pre-med cirriculum?

Tulane is right now at the bottom on my list. I just really dislike louisiana. i want to get out of this state, but if Tulane is good in premed i'll stay.

Members don't see this ad.

NYU is by far the best choice. No question about it.

BU is alot more expensive, and students are not as pleased with the school as far as I can tell.

Why would you even consider Tulane?

Originally posted by Eraserhead

BU is alot more expensive, and students are not as pleased with the school as far as I can tell.

i just included tulane because i was accepted.

Members don't see this ad :)
What is your state school option? NYU may not be worth it as a "premed" school if you have a decent state school option.

Originally posted by exmike
What is your state school option? NYU may not be worth it as a "premed" school if you have a decent state school option.

louisiana state university..... I just really want to get out of louisiana.

Having lived in Boston and New Orleans I don't really think there's anything wrong with either city. New York, on the other hand, is a souless, rat-race, hopeless environment. I wouldn't want to live there myself.
Between the pre-med programs I think BU is a weak choice. I know, from personal experience, that their honors O-Chem doesn't even stack up to BC's standard O-chem in terms of breadth and depth. However, I have no info on the other classes.

You should go where you will be the most happy. The so called "premed" curriculum is nearly the same everywhere you go, and if you're not gunning for harvard or hopkins, the reputation of your school wont really matter THAT much. What is more important is that you do well wherever you go and do well on your MCAT. I dont believe NYU is known for a churning out stellar premeds, but its far from louisiana, so you might love it there, and do really well to boot. Not great advice, but its what i'd do.

I'd just like to say that I sympathize with you wanting to get out of Louisiana. I did it for undergrad and am the happier for it. I even turned down an interview at Tulane med school (once I was in somewhere else, mind you) because I didn't want to go back.

I recommend NYU because it will be a tad warmer than Boston and its a hard transition from Louisiana "winters".:D

Go with NYU - ignore what Rose122 said about NYC - it is the greatest city in the world.

Good luck with your studies wherever you go - all of those are good undergrad schools so med schools will definitely respect the grades if you do well.

Speaking as a current NYU senior, I would have to say that NYU is not the best for pre-med studies. Although some of the classes are quite good, there are way too many evil pre-meds here. Physics is horribly taught here. It is definitely not worth the money. BU and Tulane are great schools. I would say go to the school that you think you will be happy at and that is worth the price tag. NYU is just a wannabe Ivy-League school and the only way in which it compares is its price tag. However, you should definitely hear from other students about this. It is only my 2 cents! Good luck! If you want to know more, please feel free to PM me. There are definitely some good things about NYU. I do not totally regret coming here. :)

Originally posted by Rose122
Between the pre-med programs I think BU is a weak choice. I know, from personal experience, that their honors O-Chem doesn't even stack up to BC's standard O-chem in terms of breadth and depth. However, I have no info on the other classes.

Excuse me for a moment, but I have to defend BU in the face of BC gunnerism. I'm curious to know what your 'personal experience' in knowing that BU OChem honors track (involves some advanced quantitation) 'doesnt stack up' in terms of 'breadth and depth'. Did you fail it at one place then take it at the other? In fact BC's science programs are in most cases fairly new and dont have nearly the amount of funding as BU (go look at the NIH rankings). I can guarantee that BU organic chemistry will teach you everything that some BC class would. In fact, the professor whos teaching you was probably one of those that made the terrible switch from BU to BC when BC decided to actually try to staff their departments with halfway decent researchers. Very famous case of this happening with the physics department

With all that NIH funding around at BU, you'll get a great oppurtunity to do research. I had the oppurtunity to receive REU stipends, got published and made 2 conference presentations by my senior year. Alot of the science research is closely tied to the med school. NYU, Tulane, and LSU are all great schools too; go to the place where you think you have the oppurtunity for success. If you were accepted to all these schools, i'm sure BU has given you merit scholarships also like they did for me.

Don't listen to silly gunners that say BU is weak; this year and next fall I will have classmates attending med school UMDNJ, UC schools, UPenn (couple here), Mt Sinai, Temple (a whole bunch here), NYU med, BU med (including myself if they take me off the waitlist), and a whole host of other places. Good luck to you in making a decision.

Originally posted by Eraserhead

oh disregard my post, i thought you were talking about med schools, not undergrad.