NYU vs UCLA (DGSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sc130

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
This application cycle is finally winding down for me. I've narrowed it down to two schools, NYU and UCLA. I'm California born and raised, and eventually I would love to settle down in Northern California, near my family and significant other. UCLA seems like a great fit in terms of weather, proximity to home and lifestyle. However, NYU offers a smaller class size and obvious financial perks. I would love to hear what you all think about my situation!

NYU
Pros
  • Cost of attendance would be less than $100,000 for all 4 years!
  • Rising reputation
  • Smaller class size by almost 1/2
  • 1.5 Year Integrated curriculum
  • Possible 3 year pathway
  • Higher step 1 exam average of 241

Cons
  • Exams every other week
  • Weather in New York is not ideal, and I would much rather stay in the West Coast to be close to family
  • Not a fan of public transportation

UCLA
Pros
  • Great national reputation and reputation within California
  • Very reputable affiliated hospitals
  • Good schedule of classes etc. Students say they have quite a bit of free time for relaxing and enjoying life.
  • Exams after each block (only 9 exams over 2 years?)
  • California weather
  • Great match rate for California hospitals
  • Close to family

Cons
  • Cost of attendance for me would be $200,000 higher than UCLA
  • 2 year curriculum opposed to 1.5
  • Traffic is awful in LA
  • Still a 7 hour car drive from home

Summary: Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Members don't see this ad.

Have you tried asking UCLA to match NYU scholarship? Did you get any financial grant/loans?

Have you tried asking UCLA to match NYU scholarship? Did you get any financial grant/loans?
I talked to the Dean and he said there may be more scholarships coming out in March/April, but I'm not hopeful.

I doubt driving in NYC is any better than driving in LA lol. All jokes aside, I would choose UCLA. They already have a strong reputation, nice weather, and you will have a support system already in place. Although I would wait to see what other scholarships UCLA has to offer. Also look into the private scholarship opportunities available for years 2-4. There is a thread floating around here with a whole list of scholarships.

Reactions: 1 users