NYU vs. Yale

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ephemeralsunshine

this is more stressful than I thought
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
[POST REDACTED FOR ANONYMITY]

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The only major differences are the grading schemes/AOA and location. If the former isn't too important to you (no idea why you consider p/f a con), base it off location and distance from friends/family.

I would personally lean towards Yale for the grading system but if the 3 year MD and free tuition are truly possible outcomes then I don't think anyone would fault you for going for NYU. In the end you really can't go wrong, it seems like the most important factors (prestige/happiness/money) are pretty equal between the two.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Damn this is a hard one. If you don't care about location, I think the main thing you should think about is if you can succeed in the Yale system. If you're a self-starter who feels like they can thrive with very little oversight, then choose Yale. If you think you need a little more structure in your curriculum, then choose NYU.

Reactions: 1 users
I wouldn't discount the fact that NYU has a huge advantage by being in the world's greatest city and is already ranked higher. That's a huge advantage when it comes to away rotations, residency interviews, and research opportunities. The world is literally at your doorstep in NYC.

I wouldn't discount the fact that NYU has a huge advantage by being in the world's greatest city and is already ranked higher. That's a huge advantage when it comes to away rotations, residency interviews, and research opportunities. The world is literally at your doorstep in NYC.
Ranked higher by USNWR don’t mean a thing. Residency director scores for Yale is 4.2 and is 4.0 for NYU and that would matter more for aways/matching

I think you have 2 great choices. I would say it comes down to the environment that best suits you. Yale is much more laid back than NYU. Echoing an earlier poster, I would go Yale if you are a self driven learner who can stay on top of their work without much guidance. No one in the field of medicine cares about the US News rankings and Yale is still the bigger name both inside and outside of medicine, though both of great schools and the prestige difference is minimal. Also of note, the poster above, artist928375, has 5 posts in their post history and 4 of them are urging people to choose a school over Yale or criticizing Yale.

Reactions: 3 users
Ask yourself this: are you a ***** for ivy league names, or are you a ***** for US news rankings? The answer to this question is the answer to your question ;)

Joking aside, I think the major points of differentiation between the two schools are 1) living in NYC (pro for some, con for others) and 2) the Yale System (again, a pro or con depending on your personality). Your training and career prospects will be equally superb regardless of which you choose.

Also of note, the poster above, artist928375, has 5 posts in their post history and 4 of them are urging people to choose a school over Yale or criticizing Yale.

And then he deleted these posts??? The plot thickens... methinks we've found someone on the waitlist at Yale :laugh:

Last edited:
And then he deleted these posts??? The plot thickens... methinks we've found someone on the waitlist at Yale :laugh:
Hahah and the guy who liked their post also only has 3 posts, all urging people to choose somewhere over Yale. Imagine going through so much effort to clear people off of a waitlist

I would choose Yale. Have you talked to them about financial aid? Maybe they can help you out since thats your main concern (I think P/F is a pro)

Tough choice. I interviewed at NYU and LOVED the school, but I still wonder if I could survive in NYC. That was my only T20 interview (and I’m waitlisted), and I’d be torn if I got off the waitlist if only because of the atmosphere in NYC. But Bellevue was really amazing and I loved the people I met on interview day.

That said, I’m also a chill person and would love the curriculum at Yale. I’ve heard that something like 90% of the students get honors during their clinical years, but that’s just a rumor and I can’t remember where I heard it. I am also used to living in that type of environment.

I do think you need to seriously think about what kind of living environment you’ll thrive in. OTOH, as much as I like Yale, I’m not sure I’d be willing to pay an additional 120k overall (plus interest) to go there. But it might be worth it if you think that NYC will make you more stressed in the end.

Should be noted that the above poster pushing for NYU is not against Yale as much as is an NYU student. I suppose that makes that person biased, but it’s good to know that the people attending that school really like it. Also a PD difference between 4.0 and 4.2 is basically not a difference at all, so you’ll have just as many opportunities coming from both schools. If you’re really interested in plastics, I think NYU would be the better option.

So ultimately I’d look at whether you can thrive in NYC - if you think you can, I’d go NYU. It’s cheaper and you’ll have some amazing opportunities for networking. If you’re nervous about the NYC lifestyle and you know you can learn through the Yale curriculum, go Yale and take on the additional debt. The difference in cost will likely be smaller due to lower COL (slightly lower) in CT. Either way, you have two amazing options and you can’t go wrong!

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Both are amazing schools. Personally I would pick Yale though. My impression was students seemed very happy there. Also the Yale system is just awesome. Based on the people I know at NYU, while none of them are unhappy, they are definitely stressed out. Although that just seems to be a common theme with people I know who are training in NYC in general. IMO med school is hard enough and if you can avoid grades, internal ranking and potentially a more stressful environment, it's so worth it. My med school also doesn't have grades/internal ranking/AOA and I definitely did not fully realize how much I would appreciate this when I was deciding

Reactions: 2 users
Hahah and the guy who liked their post also only has 3 posts, all urging people to choose somewhere over Yale. Imagine going through so much effort to clear people off of a waitlist

Alternative theory: it’s a devious adcom at a rival school of Yale’s trying to tank Yale’s yield :laugh:

Should be noted that the above poster pushing for NYU is not against Yale as much as is an NYU student. I suppose that makes that person biased, but it’s good to know that the people attending that school really like it.

Okay this whole thing was just a "smh" moment before, but now it's actually become fascinating to watch unfold. Here's a rundown of what happened with that artist account:
  1. Has a history of posts spanning months where he exclusively bashes Yale in "Help Me Decide" threads (saw this with my own eyes after reading chonkyfire's post)
  2. Receives a "like" on his post here from another account that suspiciously also exclusively bashes Yale (I unfortunately don't remember this account's name
  3. Gets called out by @chonkyfire for this behavior on this thread, then appears to delete the aforementioned anti-Yale posts, as they don't show up in the comment history anymore. The "like" on his post here also mysteriously disappears.
  4. Starts commenting in a way that would imply that he is a student at NYU, although this would appear to be an attempt at establishing an alibi.
Those urban legends about college premeds sabotaging each other are getting more believable by the minute...:smack: