NYU vs. Yale

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which one would you rank higher?

• NYU

Votes: 26 46.4%
  • Yale

Votes: 30 53.6%

• Total voters

mbadoc

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in cardiology. Two most important criteria is location and cardiology fellowship placement. I want to be in NYC but the Yale cardiology match is a bit better than NYU's, but Yale is two hours from NY. NYU seems to match better locally in New York (more NY community cards programs and matches to NYU itself) whereas Yale matches better nationally (some good spots on the West coast). One thing drawing me to NYU is that I am unsure whether I want to do academic medicine to begin with and the strong preference for being in NY. It's just hard for me to turn down Yale's name and cards placement.

Need help ranking these two places as we are coming down to the wire...THANKS

Members don't see this ad.

I am interested in cardiology. Two most important criteria is location and cardiology fellowship placement. I want to be in NYC but the Yale cardiology match is a bit better than NYU's, but Yale is two hours from NY. NYU seems to match better locally in New York (more NY community cards programs and matches to NYU itself) whereas Yale matches better nationally (some good spots on the West coast). One thing drawing me to NYU is that I am unsure whether I want to do academic medicine to begin with and the strong preference for being in NY. It's just hard for me to turn down Yale's name and cards placement.

Has Yale's fellowship placement lately been that strong? I don't recall that. The problem with NYU is that it is such a large program, and some years there are well over 10-12 people interested in cards. When you don't have enough spots inhouse to match for cards, then you are kind of left scrambling for other, lesser known programs in the area...I do think NYU cards is arguably the second best cards program in NYC, behind Columbia Presby.

Location is important and should definitely factor into the equation, especially if there are personal reasons for living in a certain area. Besides that, I would pick Yale over NYU. NYU, while a great program, doesn't strike me as doing particularly well for cardiology when compared to other programs of that caliber. They match a LOT, but many aren't high quality matches. They even have difficulty matching into their own program. I have to disagree with the above statement - while NYU cardiology is an excellent program, it is still the weakest when compared to Columbia, Cornell, and Sinai. NYU matches very few into those three and their own, while if you do well in Yale, you should have any opportunity to match into any NYC fellowship (although Columbia will certainly be difficult).

You're trying to ask people to make the decision of location vs. prestige, but in the end (and by today!), you will have to make that decision on your own.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yale's match list in a number of specialties was not as impressive as other peer programs if you look at fellowship matches outside of Yale. They emphasized that about 1/2 of the residents stay...but for the non-Yale fellowship matches, I didn't see anything that jumped out me that made it that much better than NYU.

I am partial to the clinical experience at Bellevue. To me that is hard core IM and you would be providing care to truly underserved populations (if you care about that). I loved NYU for that reason. However, New Haven is an easier/cheaper city to live in, but I'm not sure about the diversity of clinical experiences.

Yes, Yale has a good name, but honestly, there were several "middle" tier schools that seemed more attractive based on the enthusiasm of the residents and overall clinical experience. Maybe I was there on a bad interview day? But for cards, name does matter for the residency you come from. Yale gives you an advantage in name, but objectively, I don't think there is an advantage for the actual quality of clinical training.

Agreed about Bellevue. Can you post Yale's cardiology match list? I threw mine away. I don't remember it being that bad though.

Yale's match list in a number of specialties was not as impressive as other peer programs if you look at fellowship matches outside of Yale. They emphasized that about 1/2 of the residents stay...but for the non-Yale fellowship matches, I didn't see anything that jumped out me that made it that much better than NYU.

I am partial to the clinical experience at Bellevue. To me that is hard core IM and you would be providing care to truly underserved populations (if you care about that). I loved NYU for that reason. However, New Haven is an easier/cheaper city to live in, but I'm not sure about the diversity of clinical experiences.

Yes, Yale has a good name, but honestly, there were several "middle" tier schools that seemed more attractive based on the enthusiasm of the residents and overall clinical experience. Maybe I was there on a bad interview day? But for cards, name does matter for the residency you come from. Yale gives you an advantage in name, but objectively, I don't think there is an advantage for the actual quality of clinical training.

Did you get a chance to tour the hospital at Yale? A majority of the patients were African american or hispanic, and from the appearance of things, of low economic status. (Yes, yes, I know you can't tell a person's economic status from appearance, but usually dress code is pretty indicative.) So it is not like you wouldn't be working with an underserved population at Yale, it is a combination of community and tertiary-quaternary referral care. Don't confuse New Haven with other more wealth, suburban like areas of Connecticut. Granted, it won't be as crazy as Bellevue.

Did you get a chance to tour the hospital at Yale? A majority of the patients were African american or hispanic, and from the appearance of things, of low economic status. (Yes, yes, I know you can't tell a person's economic status from appearance, but usually dress code is pretty indicative.) So it is not like you wouldn't be working with an underserved population at Yale, it is a combination of community and tertiary-quaternary referral care. Don't confuse New Haven with other more wealth, suburban like areas of Connecticut. Granted, it won't be as crazy as Bellevue.

I definitely agree- New Haven has a sizable underserved population. I thought I'd see only white-collar patients on the wards... I was incredibly wrong!

For the OP, given your preferences, I think NYU gets the edge. If location wasn't a huge factor, I'd say Yale but it sounds like you really like NYC.

Yale, obv. How is the indigent patient population of New York at Bellevue going to help you become a better cardiologist? You'll still get the connections necessary at YALE.

Yes, I did see Yale. And as I said in my post I wasn't impressed and liked NYU better. That's my personal preference. And Yale's hospital does not compare to Bellevue as far as diversity, but yes, New Haven does have some poor minority patients. I don't deny that Yale has greater prestige than NYU, but it's obvious the OP has a preference for NYC (although it's not as if New Haven is far from the city).

Not everyone is ranking purely on name alone. I visited several "middle-tier" programs where I interacted with residents who were more competent/confident than some residents I observed at some of the "top" programs. But yes, name will typically get you further even if the reality behind it differs from perception. Same applies for med students from top vs. middle tier schools applying for residency...so for the greatest advantage in an elitist culture like medicine (esp when considering cards), Yale would be the obvious choice.