NYU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureradres12345

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone out there set the record straight about NYU? I've seen and heard a lot of contradictory things and don't know what to think. Are the malignant rumors a thing of the past or is there still some truth to them?

I really liked the program and am thinking of ranking it top 3. The chair seems very forward-looking and the PD and vice chair of education seem very kind and seem to really care about the residents.

On the other hand, they are expanding their infrastructure massively, yet shrinking from 10 to 8 residents a year? Something about that just doesn't seem right...

Members don't see this ad.

From talking to some of the residents (outside of the application process, not just the chiefs and interview dinner crowd), I wouldn't say it's a malignant place. The residents seem to be confident they're getting top-notch training in exchange for working harder than most (of the nearby institutions at least). The institution and the chairman seem to be really committed to research, if that's your thing NYU would definitely be a great place for it, and it certainly doesn't hurt that the hospital CEO is a radiologist.

It will probably make my top 5, I'm hesitant to rank them higher because of both concerns about NYC cost of living and because it seems to be a program undergoing a lot of change, especially with the new hospital acquisition. They alluded to a new call schedule, didactic structure, and new moonlighting opportunities, but their answers on all these seemed a little vague to be satisfying. Their explanation for shrinking the program when their volume will only be getting higher didn't make much sense to me either.

The doximity comments were concerning.

Overall it seemed a little stuffy for my tastes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone out there set the record straight about NYU? I've seen and heard a lot of contradictory things and don't know what to think. Are the malignant rumors a thing of the past or is there still some truth to them?

I really liked the program and am thinking of ranking it top 3. The chair seems very forward-looking and the PD and vice chair of education seem very kind and seem to really care about the residents.

On the other hand, they are expanding their infrastructure massively, yet shrinking from 10 to 8 residents a year? Something about that just doesn't seem right...
Is this not due to IR / DR split?

Is this not due to IR / DR split?

I don't think so. It's happening for the current application class.
I'm not interested in IR and didn't pay attention to how they're working in IR pathway, but I don't remember that being given as a reason.

I believe the program size is going from 10 to 8 because NYU has a new medical school program that guarantees the residency of choice for students in a 7 year program. This assures they have sufficient spots for those students. I was told they're reducing size by 1, so not sure where the other spot is going.

I believe the program size is going from 10 to 8 because NYU has a new medical school program that guarantees the residency of choice for students in a 7 year program. This assures they have sufficient spots for those students. I was told they're reducing size by 1, so not sure where the other spot is going.

Asked the nyu students on my interview day, they said that spot isn't accounted for, so it's really 7 open spots.

Anyone know why they are shrinking? Was it an institutional decision or were they under some other constraints to downsize? Loved everything about the program from a research and training perspective. It seems like they on the upswing and have the potential to break into that discussion of top 5-10 programs nationally, but I would think they would be expanding, not shrinking, with all the new clinical and research capacity that they are adding.

Anyone know why they are shrinking? Was it an institutional decision or were they under some other constraints to downsize? Loved everything about the program from a research and training perspective. It seems like they on the upswing and have the potential to break into that discussion of top 5-10 programs nationally, but I would think they would be expanding, not shrinking, with all the new clinical and research capacity that they are adding.

What are you basing the upswing on? That's not the impression I got while I was there.

If you're really hung on the shrinking I would just email a chief for the rationale. I feel like thats a reasonable question.

I felt NYU was a top-notch place and did not get the malignant vibe at all, although I felt they were less research-oriented than Penn, Stanford and UCSF. I am ranking them in my top 3, and I know a dude who is definitely ranking NYU #1 ahead of MGH, MIR, Stanford, Hopkins, UCSF, Penn, BWH and Michigan.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I do think it is a great program and will probably end up ranking them in the 2-4 range. I guess I just needed some reassurance that I wasn't making a huge mistake by ranking them so highly.

Based on interview trail, def seems to be rumors of past. Didn't get malignant vibe at all- Prob ranking top 2. Would like some more clarification on this "downsizing"? Not too worried just wanna know what's up!

Know from a student there that they had resident turnover last year. They put on a good interview day, but I wasn't entirely sold after talking to the residents.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am guessing that there will be slightly more call, because they are also expanding as well. But I am not really worried. As a resident you want to see/do as much as possible (within the limits of maintaining one's sanity obviously). I am not presently sure of my exact rank order but NYU is definitely up there for me. Loved the place.

wtf they're downsizing to 8? that is not the size of a top program. that's the size of columbia. Probably going to rank it under cornell now...

Seems like there's a lot of flux. For example, UPMC, which sees an absurd # of studies / year, is downsizing their class as well, whereas other smaller-volume programs are increasing their # of residency slots.

wtf they're downsizing to 8? that is not the size of a top program. that's the size of columbia. Probably going to rank it under cornell now...

I think that's flawed thinking... Cornell is 9... It seems like NYU is going to be a total of 9 including a direct IR candidate. There is probably a good reason.. Either the direct NYU med school to residency program will be adding a person, or there is some acquisition, as someone mentioned "expanding"

It's not so much the total number. It's the decline itself. The direct med school person is not counted in this, so it's really 7.

I think that's flawed thinking... Cornell is 9... It seems like NYU is going to be a total of 9 including a direct IR candidate. There is probably a good reason.. Either the direct NYU med school to residency program will be adding a person, or there is some acquisition, as someone mentioned "expanding"
First, they're not matching integrated IR this cycle because they were not in the first wave of accredited programs. Second, the direct med to residency program (3yr MD) is not exempt from the NRMP "All-in" policy, so that spot still has to go in the Match but the program, school, and student will have a three-way handshake to rank the student to match. Right now, the NRMP R3 system displays NYU radiology's quota as 8. Whoever matches this year is going to split the call pool among 8.

Last edited:
They did say that they are bringing in overnight attendings to cover Tisch, so residents will just be splitting call at Bellevue. They made it sound like the net effect would be a decrease in call, but not sure how it will all work out in practice.

They did say that they are bringing in overnight attendings to cover Tisch, so residents will just be splitting call at Bellevue. They made it sound like the net effect would be a decrease in call, but not sure how it will all work out in practice.

Yeah I remember them saying call is decreasing multiple times on interview day. Probably chose to emphasize this because it was a perceived weakness along the lines of the malignancy accusations. No one was really able to provide with the specifics to the level of detail other programs did. At the dinner the residents I sat near said they didnt know what was going to end up happening with the new hospital acquisition and call schedule.

For me, I would really need to know more details about the resident turnover and changing call in order to rank them higher. There are too many other good programs that seemed more stable and forthcoming.

IIRC they mentioned that moonlighting involved extra call shifts at Tisch, and more opportunities would be coming, especially with outpatient and hospital expansions. They mentioned they were hiring additional attendings to cover overnights at Tisch and reducing the call pool to cover Bellevue, thus reducing call burden. They didn't go into call specifics but they had your average year 1 buddy call, then night float for other times.

Really liked NYU after the interview. The department is very committed to research. They have strong basic science and translational research, particularly in MRI. Several of the section chiefs have R01 and heavily invested in research, which is not very common. The residents can also apply for "academic half day". As for call, I got the same message that it is changing, and likely fewer calls. I was also told they are hiring PA/technicians to answer phone calls during the call shifts, so the residents will have less "scut work", and be able to focus more on reading a likely higher volume, which I think is a positive thing for resident training. But residents are responsible for ultrasound when on call at Bellevue. They did not give specifics of call schedule probably because it is a "work in progress", and the details have not been worked out yet. I also like their change of didactic schedule, so you do not have to get in as early. Have no idea about the "resident turnover". Heard rumors on the trail, but the residents I met seemed to be pretty happy and all confident about the quality of the training.

Residents are now only covering bellevue weekends and nights, not tisch. Therefore effectively cutting call by a lot. I think it's because of the expansion with new radiologist hires at tisch. Therefore,8 DR instead of 10. I think there will be one IR path direct if I'm not mistaken.

Changes all seem to be for the positive. Especially with malignant rumors of the past.

First, they're not matching integrated IR this cycle because they were not in the first wave of accredited programs. Second, the direct med to residency program (3yr MD) is not exempt from the NRMP "All-in" policy, so that spot still has to go in the Match but the program, school, and student will have a three-way handshake to rank the student to match. Right now, the NRMP R3 system displays NYU radiology's quota as 8. Whoever matches this year is going to split the call pool among 8.

That makes sense. But I think they are doing this bc the call has been effectively reduced by maybe a half.

Definitely a good thing if any program is downsizing. There are way too many residents coming out into a markedly saturated job market. So kudos to NYU and any other program decreasing residency spots. It was about time.

Reactions: 1 user
I was told on the interview day, NYU is strong in body, MSK, and neuro (anything MRI related), weaker in IR and nuclear. But their IR is expanding, and a section chief from Cornell is being hired. So maybe rank according to your interest?

I was told on the interview day, NYU is strong in body, MSK, and neuro (anything MRI related), weaker in IR and nuclear. But their IR is expanding, and a section chief from Cornell is being hired. So maybe rank according to your interest?

IR is generally weaker at all the manhattan programs, compared to the rest of the country, with the exception of Mt Sinai.

I am curious as to how Montefiore/Albert Einstein compares with Mount Sinai. It seemed Montefiore was a slightly stronger program, but I could be wrong.

I am curious as to how Montefiore/Albert Einstein compares with Mount Sinai. It seemed Montefiore was a slightly stronger program, but I could be wrong.

I'm not sure in terms of academics, but both had two of the happiest and most fun group of residents I met along the trail. I would pick MS > Montefiore because of location, but I think I could be well trained and happy at either.