Nyu

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soni

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone..its been awhile since I have posted...good to be back! just wanted to give my .02 on NYUCD..it is awesome :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: i have no regrets whatsoever with my decision to attend NYU rather than go to BU,Creighton etc...I wanted to extinguish some nasty rumors that are out there re: NYU..so if anyone has any ??'s let me know..the faculty is AWESOME and well renowned..the lab is beautiful, we have a brand new research facility, etc etc etc and + its NYC! 1st year has not been that bad so far, but this next week is going to be h***, but hey, thats too be expected b/c its finals week...other than that its ALL GOOD! Alot of my classmates are fellow SDN'rs, so it was kinda cool to meet them....
take care :D

Members don't see this ad.

Three questions:
1. How do you like the new curriculum?
2. How is the dorm, I think 26th street?
3. How are your classmates? Do they share info? Do the D2 help the D1 students?

Thanks

1. How do you like the new curriculum?

I really like the new curriculum, they have it set up as a block schedule, which means that we don't have the same classes all semester long. So far we have finished about 4 or 5 courses already! we constantly have numerous profs lecturing in all the classes, so you get alot of variation. the dvd system is totally subjective, i personally love it b/c reading on the comp screen is something i am used to...but for ppl that don't normally spend much time staring at a screen, they kinda don't like it...so they end up buying the texts as well...but you don't really use the dvd that much, its really to supplement stuff you don't get in lectures...they restructured the curriculum and made it alot more manageable, timewise and all...its def not easy, but what is?

2. How is the dorm, I think 26th street?

the dorm is ok. I live in a 2br,shared bath & kitchen...its very small, but i can see the school from my window and it takes 5 min to walk there..and in this freakin coldweather, it is soooo worth it...i might move out next year, but then there is the hassle of getting cable modems, etc.... the dorm comes with all that...
but if you've already lived in a dorm b4, then you know what to expect. the area is kinda cool, not posh at all, but def chill, a lot of food, grocery stores, library, coffee shops,gyms...etc

3. How are your classmates? Do they share info? Do the D2 help the D1 students?

classmates are cool..everyone does group up, to be expected with such a large class size..the best thing to do is form a study group and split up the work and then consolidate it...it works amazingly well....you have to share info, b/c otherwise you won't get it in return...alot of d2's are willing to help..they always offer advice about profs,exams etc..but we have it alot easier than they did so it doesn't really help that much...

hope that helps!
sonigee

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Soni-

It's good to see you posting again! I don't know if you'll remember me, but we chatted during lunch at my interview day (Nov. 25). Anyway, thanks for clearing up many misconceptions about NYUCD floating around out there. I've interviewed at alot of schools and NYUCD really impressed. I did not see anything that would keep me from giving good consideration to NYUCD. I've recently received an acceptance there, and am now at a difficult decision between several very good schools. I wish you luck with your finals next week and future success with the rest of your dental school endevours. You never know, I just might see you next year!

Arby

Hi Soni,
Thanks for the quick reply. Do you live at Waterside? I heard a lot of Dental students live there, and like it. Only thing is I know it's a little expensive but you can't beat the view.
Thanks again

Hi Soni,

I have a question about NYU and hope that you help me with it...

- with the class size being very large, what does the school do to make it feel smaller?? do all the classes have 250 students in them are there different sections for every subject? I go to UMAss - Amherst, where number of the students in each class sometimes reaches to 400 and i have no problem with that, so i was just wondering if class size is made smaller to allow more interaction.

thank you

Comet

Hey Aguiter3..hows it going? thats awesome that you got acceptedinto many schools! now you have the hard part to deal with--decisions! good luck..keep me posted:) hopefully c u here next year!

PashaJ--no i don't live at waterside, i was thinking about doing that next year....most likely...economically i thnk you end up paying a little bit more than the 1600$/month i am paying for my my dorm right now BUT it would be your own place at waterside...so i think its worth it..not sure of the exact prices, but i heard getting internet connexion is a beatch over there...i don't know...

Hey Comet--your right its a pretty big class...~230...lectures are held for all of us in a huge lecture hall...there are quiz section that are broken into 4 groups and those are more intimate settings for ?/answer sessions......no worries..profs love to talk to you on a 1-1 basis..it shows that you actually care....

aight guys...later...let me know if there are more ???'s
Its snowing hard outside!!!!

~Soni

i have a question for you soni:

when's this snow gonna end?

hey PiGuy...i know, its a mad blizzard out there...for us seattleites and californians, its whack!!! I hope it doesn't get worse....
btw...if any of you come to interviews at NYU, piguy and I both do interview lunches with the students....so you might meet us:):clap:

Yea, Soni and I do interview lunches.....and even though your day will end at 12, I am more than willing to do "interview dinners" as well...your treat, of course...

Hi Soni -

I most likely attending NYUCD next fall (Still a bit torn between NYU and another school, but leaning towards NYU at the moment) 2 quick questions:

1. Class size is large; are there enough patients in clinics to suit the needs of the 3rd/4th year students?
2. Are faculty members readily accessible?

Thanks so much!

res03 (NYUCD '07 ? )

Pi Guy
Are you trying to set up some sort of dating service for yourself by taking advantage of those pre-dental females?

:love: :love: