Nyu

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nycdentalst

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys,

this is my first post ever so bear with me! >.<

I was just accepted to both NYU and Stony. I was wondering if some current/former students at nyu dental could give me some insight?

I'm an nyu undergrad and they offered me 25K in a merit scholarship-naturally these two things are drawing me to NYU! The only thing holding me back is that so many pre-dents keep saying it's such a terrible school. I know stony is obviously more selective, but is nyu really a "bad" school?

Whether or not the incoming gpa or dat scores are low or not, i'm more concerned about receiving a good clinical education and most likely becoming a g.p. Will i be put at a major disadvantage when applying for a residency if i go to nyu over stony?

Thanks guys. I really appreciate your help! i'm really stuck

Members don't see this ad.

NYU - Larger class size. Good research opportunities. Faculty really enjoy being there and their dean is really good.

Stony - Smaller class more intimate experience. I think even with the 25K NYU is giving you Stony still would end up cheaper if you are a NY resident.

When I interviewed at NYU I thought they weren't giving out scholarships till students enrolled into the school. So around the summer I thought they were going to disperse scholarship awards? Am I wrong?

yea, i actually thought that too. i was so surprised when I got the letter! maybe the summer ones are in response to need based rather than merit?

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys,

this is my first post ever so bear with me! >.<

I was just accepted to both NYU and Stony. I was wondering if some current/former students at nyu dental could give me some insight?

I'm an nyu undergrad and they offered me 25K in a merit scholarship-naturally these two things are drawing me to NYU! The only thing holding me back is that so many pre-dents keep saying it's such a terrible school. I know stony is obviously more selective, but is nyu really a "bad" school?

Whether or not the incoming gpa or dat scores are low or not, i'm more concerned about receiving a good clinical education and most likely becoming a g.p. Will i be put at a major disadvantage when applying for a residency if i go to nyu over stony?

Thanks guys. I really appreciate your help! i'm really stuck

Hey congrats!!!
did u get later today???

I think you should consider the fact that NYU has a rather new dean, and he has been making some great changes.

I think you should consider the fact that NYU has a rather new dean, and he has been making some great changes.
Anyone know more in light of this comment? I have heard some bad things about NYU. I just got accepted though, and I did like the place when I went on the interview.

hey guys, i thought i might throw my two cents in here about unhappy students in general, dental students or not

i happen to be an undergrad at nyu (admittedly NOT the same as the dental school) and i have heard so many people bashing it! saying how much the admin/professors, sucks, the class size sucks, the school sucks, and everything is depressing. Someone told me nyu undergrad even has the 3rd most unhappy students in the country (2 military schools beat it out). Meanwhile, i'm having a blast and i know of so many people that love it here at NYU! I think that 1) the bigger the school the more unhappy students there will be and 2) the more unhappy one is, the more likely they are to voice it to others

hey guys, i thought i might throw my two cents in here about unhappy students in general, dental students or not

i happen to be an undergrad at nyu (admittedly NOT the same as the dental school) and i have heard so many people bashing it! saying how much the admin/professors, sucks, the class size sucks, the school sucks, and everything is depressing. Someone told me nyu undergrad even has the 3rd most unhappy students in the country (2 military schools beat it out). Meanwhile, i'm having a blast and i know of so many people that love it here at NYU! I think that 1) the bigger the school the more unhappy students there will be and 2) the more unhappy one is, the more likely they are to voice it to others

Valid points, thanks for the input. Although, you're right, undergrad vs. dental is VERY different IMO.

Also consider living conditions.. Living in the city = paying a crap ton for everything, eating badly, slow transportation, etc wehre as suburbs = drive your SUV and live in a 3 bedroom house for the same price :p