NYUCD Laptop Recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

opal

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I will be attending NYUCD this fall & am looking to buy a laptop.I would like to know which one is very ideal- A Tablet P.C or a Regular Laptop?I am under the impression that a Tablet P.C would be useful for the purpose of taking down notes in class. Can anyone tell me what is the best brand around & the current configuration( processing power, memory, hard drive etc) most dental students use? Please help .Thanx in advance.

Opal

Members don't see this ad.

I have a 1.4 GHZ pentium M and it serves me well. The clock speed is lower but it has 1mb of cache and saves a ton on battery. With my extra battery I get 8 hours on my laptop. It will get 4 hours with the standard battery.

I have a DELL and hate this damn thing so much. I had to send it in bec it was always messing up and they ended up replacing the whole board. A classmate 2 weeks into school had to have his whole DELL replaced bec the board fried on him...lots and lots of complaints in my class with Dell. There are a few ( keyword FEW) that do not have problems with them.

Go to the NYU computerstore and pick anything you want that meets the min requirement and you will be fine. I HIGHLY ADVISE AGAINIST DELL!!!

The NYU computerstore sells them at educational discounts so the price will be hard to beat. To save on tax, find out what you want call them up and have them price it out for you. If you live out of NY then have them ship it there and you will save 8.5%

Originally posted by opal
Hi,

I will be attending NYUCD this fall & am looking to buy a laptop.I would like to know which one is very ideal- A Tablet P.C or a Regular Laptop?I am under the impression that a Tablet P.C would be useful for the purpose of taking down notes in class. Can anyone tell me what is the best brand around & the current configuration( processing power, memory, hard drive etc) most dental students use? Please help .Thanx in advance.

Opal

I seriously doubt a tablet PC will help for taking notes.. Text recognition will not work very well when you are trying to scribble fast to keep up with one of those info-spouting instructors.

The most efficient way to take notes I feel is still to anotate on the margins of handouts! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Brocnizer2007
I have a 1.4 GHZ pentium M and it serves me well. The clock speed is lower but it has 1mb of cache and saves a ton on battery. With my extra battery I get 8 hours on my laptop. It will get 4 hours with the standard battery.

I have a DELL and hate this damn thing so much. I had to send it in bec it was always messing up and they ended up replacing the whole board. A classmate 2 weeks into school had to have his whole DELL replaced bec the board fried on him...lots and lots of complaints in my class with Dell. There are a few ( keyword FEW) that do not have problems with them.

Go to the NYU computerstore and pick anything you want that meets the min requirement and you will be fine. I HIGHLY ADVISE AGAINIST DELL!!!

The NYU computerstore sells them at educational discounts so the price will be hard to beat. To save on tax, find out what you want call them up and have them price it out for you. If you live out of NY then have them ship it there and you will save 8.5%

Those Pentium-M processors are very powerful per unit of clock speed. A 1.6 Pentium-M is equivalent to a 2.4 GHz Pentium 4 in most parameters. When Intel designed the Pentium 4 they went for a design that could scale well in terms of clock speed, but P-4s are less powerful per unit clockspeed than a P-III. I suspect that marketing reasons are the main reason. Now they are going to introduce a new naming system with 300, 500, and 700 series processors. Our Pentium-M processors will be 700 series while Pentium 4 processors will be 500 series. It makes sense as Pentium-M processors are more capable per unit clock speed, and they have excellent power consumption figures.

Intel already offers Pentium-M processors for blade servers due to their performance/heat dissipation ratio.

Thanx guys for your replies. From your posts it seems to me that A tablet P.C would not be of much use in D-School. I am kinda leaning towards IBM Think pad T- 41 . Any suggestions ? Also any info on other best brands & about the latest configuration i can go for would be highly helpful .
P.S: Thank you Broc nizer for your prompt reply.

Anyone with some info???

Personally, I'd get the IBM T41 in a heartbeat.

I'd second the T41 too. But make sure you ask NYUCD what features the school requires before you buy one.

HTH!

Thanx guys.I'm on my way to the compu. store!!:)

Opal

Maybe they exist in bigger cities, but IBMs generally need to be bought direct from IBM. Try to go to the education site and get a discount.