O Anatomy, Anatomy, wherefore art thou Anatomy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jem27

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I started Anatomy today. Boy, that class is something else.

Anyone take it have any recommendations for studying?

I have Netter's Atlas of Human Anatomy, Grant's Atlas of Anatomy, Color Atlas of Anatomy by Rohen, Yokochi & Lutjen-Drecol. I borrowed them all from the library so I've taken to scanning pages of Netter's for my notes. Then I crop out all the names so I can fill them in myself. I really don't want to have to buy anything since I know I have to buy textbooks for dental school.

I don't particularly like touching a dead body so I want to learn as much as I can from other sources. I figure that'll decrease the amount of time I spend digging around. And for the record, it doesn't gross me out so much as I think it's rude not knowing what I'm doing and just poking around.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The best resource for me has been some DVDs my school put together. It just has some guy with a cadaver telling you what things are - and it's been really helpful. You could probably find something like that.

Remember, that person donated their body knowing full well what was going to happen, they did it so you can learn. Glove up and dive in, poke to your hearts content.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anatomy is pretty fun when you study ahead of time. Make sure to utilize the lab if you have one where all the models are out. Other than that, it will be hard looking at 2D images in the book!

armorshell hit the nail on the head. That person freely gave their body so that you could poke around and learn. Once you dig in, so to speak, it gets really really easy. You just need to overcome your initial misgivings. I was lucky enough to be in a class where we got to dissect the cadavers from scratch. That was an amazing experience.

I know you will have to buy books when you start dental school, but Netter's is a great resource that you can use now and while you are in dental school.

Does your undergrad really have human cadavers? We had to use cats. Soooooo wrong.

No, not my undergrad. I'm doing a certificate masters in biomedical science at an osteopathic school. The cadavers were dissected by the 1st year DO students already - some more carefully than others, unfortunately.

To the replies, I hear ya. I understand they made a choice to do this and I understand the necessity of working with a human body for learning and I apologize for pulling a Hillary but I do find the whole thing a bit uncomfortable. Gross, if you will. Perhaps the next class when I'll actually know what I'm doing and what I should be looking for, it'll be a different scene.

Thanks for the replies.

No, not my undergrad. I'm doing a certificate masters in biomedical science at an osteopathic school. The cadavers were dissected by the 1st year DO students already - some more carefully than others, unfortunately.

To the replies, I hear ya. I understand they made a choice to do this and I understand the necessity of working with a human body for learning and I apologize for pulling a Hillary but I do find the whole thing a bit uncomfortable. Gross, if you will. Perhaps the next class when I'll actually know what I'm doing and what I should be looking for, it'll be a different scene.

Thanks for the replies.

No worries then. I personally like Netter's for when our body doesn't have some portrayed very well (Not all bodies are created equal, in life and in death), or when my dissection skills weren't quite up to task one day or another. Rohan's is really nice too, but in my opinion anatomy is all about relationships, if you can understand where something should be in relation to it's anatomical landmarks, then you should be able to find it every time regardless of what body you're on (or whether you've ever seen it in a real live dead body).

There are even sects of people within my class who believe dissection to be completely useless and don't show up to the cadaver lab except for during practicals, and most seem to do just fine. IMO, there's nothing like disarticulating the atlanto-occipital joint and folding the cadaver's head off of the vertebral column to get at the post. pharynx :D

IMO, there's nothing like disarticulating the atlanto-occipital joint and folding the cadaver's head off of the vertebral column to get at the post. pharynx :D

wow armorshell, you're so hot right now

even the pictures in the books are disconcerting :barf:

Does your undergrad really have human cadavers? We had to use cats. Soooooo wrong.

My undergrad has an awesome cadaver lab. We have 4 cadavers at a time. We are allowed to disect them as well, in advanced human anatomy, and head and neck anatomy.

They are in the process of putting plasma screens in the lab so when the professor is disecting, we can all see

IMO, there's nothing like disarticulating the atlanto-occipital joint and folding the cadaver's head off of the vertebral column to get at the post. pharynx :D

Haha we did that last week. One of my lab partners was doing the hammering..once we finally got the through the condyles and the head started wobbling, he just started yelling 'YES..YES OH MY GOD YES' and the entire lab got quiet and just stared at our group.

Then we proceeded to see who could shove their arm the farthest down the retropharyngeal space.

Good times.