O-Chem Nomenclature Error

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

nonzerosum

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone,

I was studying the nomenclature and I noticed in the McGraw book they said that Esters were a higher priority functional grp than Carboxylic acids yet Kaplan said the opposite.

Also how detailed do we need to know about nomenclatures? How do you name alkyl groups with more than 10 carbons?

On the PCAT will we need to be able to name compounds with multiple functional groups as substitutents like say an ester, ether and carb. acid in ONE molecule? or will it just be simple 1 functional group compounds?

Also will naming esters be needed because the McGraw book doesn't touch on how to do that.

Thanks
 
Kaplan is right. Orgo on the pcat is basic, so you do not need to know how to name an akyl group with more than 10 carbons.
I don't recall seeing any compounds with multiple fuctions.
 
Yeah, I had the same problem with the McGraw book. It has alot of errors. As I mentioned in another entry, there are errors in the biology , math, and chemistry sections. Keep it to the Kaplan book and your fine. I went back to my Kaplan book and Collins study guides.

It sucks when a new book has errors in it and becomes an unreliable source.


🙂