O-chem please explain this-

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

navneetdh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
CH3H2C Which statement CORRECTLY explains the following acid-base reaction at equilibrium? CH3H2C:- + HOC(CH3)3 D CH3CH3 + -:Ö:C(CH3)3

A. Weaker acid, HOC(CH3)3, and weaker base, CH3H2C:-, will be present in abundance. B. Stronger acid, HOC(CH3)3, and stronger base, CH3H2C:-, will be present in abundance. C. Weaker acid, CH3CH3, and stronger base, -:Ö:C(CH3)3, will be present in abundance. D. Stronger acid, CH3CH3, and weaker base, -:Ö:C(CH3)3, will be present in abundance. E. Weaker acid, CH3CH3, and weaker base, -:Ö:C(CH3)3, will be present in abundance.

correct answer is E

I have no idea why. I doubt i understand what they are asking for or saying.

Also there was another question in achiever which said Arrhenius acids donate H3O+ in solution. I thought they donate proton--which is the same thing as H+ right? and since H+ is same as H3O+ then when I have the choice between these 2 definition

1. Arrenhenius acids donate protons in solution
2. Arrenhius bases donate OH- in solution.

Why would I pick 2 over 1. This was a question and I think they tried to say that its Bronsted acids that donate protons not Arrenhius. I am confused:(

Members don't see this ad.