O chem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DAT24

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
There are two professors at my school and each is known for different teaching styles. One teaches basic reactions for O chem and the other teaches more in depth reactions and is a harder class. In your opinion which class should I take? Is the DAT really in depth or is it more basic principles?

Thanks for the in put.

Members don't see this ad.

It can never hurt to take a more in depth class, but you really only need to know the basics on the DAT (in my opinion). I took a pretty tough ochem course and I think it really helped because I knew all the basics AND how to apply them in a variety of situations. Tough classes are usually more beneficial because they force you to use the same amount of information in more creative and different ways, which is ultimately what's going to help you on the DAT.

There are two professors at my school and each is known for different teaching styles. One teaches basic reactions for O chem and the other teaches more in depth reactions and is a harder class. In your opinion which class should I take? Is the DAT really in depth or is it more basic principles?

Thanks for the in put.
Learning the reactions in depth gives you a better understanding of organic chemistry, which will in turn translate into scoring higher on any exam including the DAT.