O/T What Are You Reading? (V 2.0)

Started by Lab Rat83
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Since I am now free to read for pleasure again, I figure I'll be banging through the rest of the Hunger Games series this week. I've already decided that when I'm finished that I'm going to start Game of Thrones. So, I have question for all you knowledgeables out there... About how long do you they take to read? I ask because if they're either quick reads, or of the addicting nature, I want to make sure that I get at least the first two ordered at the beginning. Or, and I never thought I would be saying this because I love the feel of a book in my hands, perhaps it's time to get a Kindle?!?! :scared:

Haven't read Game of Thrones, but Hunger Games series is a very fast and easy read. You can finish them all in a week if you have the time without staying up all night to finish them. And about getting a Kindle: I've always been a bookworm, and I loooooved the feel and smell of books. Now I have a Nook Simple Touch and I absolutely looooove it. It's so easy to get/read books, very convenient, and relatively cheap. I definitely recommend it!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just finished "Tell Me Where It Hurts" and I loved it! If they made a books-to-read-before-entering-vet-school list, I think this should be on it.

That's another book that's on my list. I may order it online as an Easter present to myself.
 
Game of Thrones just consumed my life. Can't buy the next one until I make some headway on my honors thesis though...
 
Just finished "Tell Me Where It Hurts" and I loved it! If they made a books-to-read-before-entering-vet-school list, I think this should be on it.

Best book EVAH!!!!!! I don't love his sequel as MUCH, (Love is the Best Medicine) bc it's not as funny and goes into the sad stuff about vetmed. But I got it super cheap at a borders closing out sale and couldn't resist!
 
One of the BEST guilty pleasure series to read. Haha I love those books!!!

I love the books also! I'm in the process of reading them twice.

I think what I really like, though, is Sookie has normal worries, like going to Walmart and having to buy lawn chairs for clearance lol. Or worrying about her phone bill. You don't see Bella swan worrying about normal life!!!!
 
I'm reading Cat's cradle, bc I didn't understand it when I read it the first time in hs. Don't know if much has changed.....


And I must say, I'm disappointed that no one's reading the dexter series. It's so good and the show is only based off the first novel. It's like Christmas if you love the show and are dying waitin for the ... 7th? Season.
 
Last edited:
I've already decided that when I'm finished that I'm going to start Game of Thrones. So, I have question for all you knowledgeables out there... About how long do the books in the Song of Ice and Fire series take to read? I ask because if they're either quick reads, or of the addicting nature, I want to make sure that I get at least the first two ordered at the beginning.

After watching the first season on HBO I ordered the first 4 books paperback in a set on amazon for like $15. I took me about 3 months over the summer while working full time to read all 4 during my lunch break and free time, even though I took about 3 weeks off in the middle to study for the GRE😡 during those times. They are all about 1000 pages each but are very addicting and easy to read.

Also I just read I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell. Really funny book, at least for me as a guy it was. Don't know how females feel about the stories in this book.:laugh:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Since I am now free to read for pleasure again, I figure I'll be banging through the rest of the Hunger Games series this week. I've already decided that when I'm finished that I'm going to start Game of Thrones. So, I have question for all you knowledgeables out there... About how long do the books in the Song of Ice and Fire series take to read? I ask because if they're either quick reads, or of the addicting nature, I want to make sure that I get at least the first two ordered at the beginning. Or, and I never thought I would be saying this because I love the feel of a book in my hands, perhaps it's time to get a Kindle?!?! :scared:

I personally found them to be very addicting and had a hard time putting them down. In spite of that, it still took me a while to read them since they're all fairly lengthy.
You could also get them from the library! Yay free books!!
 
I'm reading Cat's cradle, bc I didn't understand it when I read it the first time in hs. Don't know if much has changed.....


And I must say, I'm disappointed that no one's reading the dexter series. It's so good and the show is only based off the first novel. It's like Christmas if you love the show and are dying waitin for the ... 7th? Season.

I buy the Dexter books for my Dad. I haven't had the chance to read them as they're on his shelf in MN.

Anyone else for the Amelia Peabody series?
 
I personally found them to be very addicting and had a hard time putting them down. In spite of that, it still took me a while to read them since they're all fairly lengthy.
You could also get them from the library! Yay free books!!

When I actually hit the good part (about 100 pages in), I became obsessed. Like stay up til 3 or 4 two mornings in a row reading it. I actually had to finish reading it before I started studying for my exams because I knew it would be too big of a distraction. They're very lengthy though. I finished the first one in a week, but only because I probably read 6 hours 3 of those days...

I probably don't need to mention I'm a nerd.
 
Bringing this thread back. I’d love to hear some recomendations of your favorite books. I love thrillers, mystery, sci fi, suspense.

I’m currently reading Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn. A little unsettling, a little riveting.
 
Bringing this thread back. I’d love to hear some recomendations of your favorite books. I love thrillers, mystery, sci fi, suspense.

I’m currently reading Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn. A little unsettling, a little riveting.

They’ve released 1-2 episodes on HBO of Sharp Objects. I looooved the book. Haven’t watched the show yet but I’ve heard it’s good.

Just finished Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan. Definitely chick lit or a good beach read. I loved it and just ordered the other 2 books in the series.

Now reading The Man Who Touched His Own Heart which is a random book of short stories about hearts, heart surgery, heart disease etc. I bought it for $2 at my school bookstore. It’s excellent. I definitely will be mailing it to my BFF in human medical school once I finish.

LOVE this thread. Also I have a GoodReads account- if anyone wants to add me they can PM me. I read pretty much all genres except sci-if and read a lot of Spanish-language stuff (was a Spanish major in undergrad and trying not to lose fluency in vet school).
 
Bringing this thread back. I’d love to hear some recomendations of your favorite books. I love thrillers, mystery, sci fi, suspense.

I’m currently reading Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn. A little unsettling, a little riveting.
Recently went on a bit of a thriller binge. I really liked Into the Water by Paula Hawkins (though the constantly shifting POV took a little bit to get into) and Before I Go To Sleep by SJ Watson. Don't Look Back by Jennifer L. Armentrout is good if you like YA.

Couple of my favorite scifi:
The Left Hand of Darkness - Ursula K Le Guin
Michael Crichton (really just...anything he wrote)
Daemon and Freedom - Daniel Suarez