O wat to do, wat to do

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

simbalimba

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay I have a two questions on which I would really appreciate some advice. I originally had signed up to take the mcats this april, but due to some unforeseen events I haven't been able to dedicate as much time as I would like to it so I have to push it back. I am debating between June 15th and July 13th. I feel that by June I can score around a 30 or so, and I feel by July I should be able to score a few points higher. The disadvantage obviously is that I wont be able to send in my apps for another month. My gpa is around a 3.5 but I have a downward trend so I want to get everything in as quick as a can. So what do you guys think would be better? Obviously I am not sure I will do any better come July but I am confident I can score a point or more.
My 2nd q is what diagnostic test people thought was the most indicative of actual score: TPR, EK, Kaplan, aamc, other? Also which one of those people thought was the hardest?

Members don't see this ad.

My advice would be to get your application in as soon as possible. I think a score of 30+ is excellent and should get you in where you want if you apply early.

I don't know much about diagnostic tests, sorry. Good Luck!

I took the MCAT back when it was on paper and it took up to 8 weeks to score. From what I understand, now that the computer version is up & running, scoring is much quicker. Even if your MCAT score isn't back until beginning of August, you should be FINE!! If you need the extra time, take it. IMO, it's worth a better store.

Also, you can complete everything on your primary app but the MCAT score. (You can even start the secondaries b4 your primary is verified. That way, you'll be ready to send them as soon as you're invited). After MCAT scores are released, it takes a day or so (in my experience) for them to be posted & verified. Don't sweat it. August is early. Most schools don't even begin interviewing until Sept or later.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took the kaplan tests and I did not think they were anything like the real test. Some of them were challanging and some were not so much. I liked the AAMC tests I purchased online. They were great, but expensive, so if you have a friend with them (like on a CD) I would recommend that you do that instead of buying them. Also, if you think you will do better taking it a few months later then do it, but from what I have heard, almost all of the dates and times are taken, if not all of them. It opened like last week for Texas and a bunch of other states, so I would think that those seats would be taken. Lets put it this way, I live in Denton, in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, and there were only 2 locations to take the test, and I heard there were only less then 40 seats at each one. There are alot of people and probably over 15 universities near this area, heck my school alone has 30,000+ students in it. So if your date has already opened up and you are trying to trade to a later date, I would say you may be SOL. Something to think about before you go cancelling the one you already have.

I took the kaplan tests and I did not think they were anything like the real test. Some of them were challanging and some were not so much. I liked the AAMC tests I purchased online. They were great, but expensive, so if you have a friend with them (like on a CD) I would recommend that you do that instead of buying them. Also, if you think you will do better taking it a few months later then do it, but from what I have heard, almost all of the dates and times are taken, if not all of them. It opened like last week for Texas and a bunch of other states, so I would think that those seats would be taken. Lets put it this way, I live in Denton, in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, and there were only 2 locations to take the test, and I heard there were only less then 40 seats at each one. There are alot of people and probably over 15 universities near this area, heck my school alone has 30,000+ students in it. So if your date has already opened up and you are trying to trade to a later date, I would say you may be SOL. Something to think about before you go cancelling the one you already have.

I have checked both dates and there are seats available nearby thankfully. The reason I am hesitant to sign up for the july one is that I know people say that once you get into the 30s it is very very difficult to improve on your score. And like other people have said, a score of 30 is pretty competitive. But I guess it just comes down to how big of a difference sending in my apps a month later will make. Also I have taken Princeton Review and so I have access to their tests and aamc tests. I do a lot better on the aamc tests, but I have heard that the score you get on princeton tests is generally a few points lower than you actual score whereas your score on aamc is generally a few points higher?

I took Princeton Review and I scored higher on the real deal, higher then I did on any of my practice tests.

Study hard, and do well. I was going to take it in April, but I felt I wasn't ready, and I took it in August. I gave it my all ... just do your best, make sure you have everything ready and apply as early as possible, I would still apply in June so that the schools can have everything ready to go when you get your MCAT score. best of luck