Some thoughts after watching the Med School Insider Video ''Competitiveness of Med School vs Pharmacy vs Dental vs PA vs Business vs Law''

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Taskha

Reaction score
Data from the AAMC roughly shows only 40% applicants matriculate to MD school. Data from AACOM in 2018 shows roughly 35% matriculate to DO schools. If we put MD and DO together, is the matriculation rate of US med school much bigger than 50%? If we also consider US IMGs who matched into US residencies, is being a US physician having a much larger chance than being a dentist or lawyer?

My point is, we don't know the exact number of student apply to both MD & DO together. If they ended up getting into an MD, he became the 65% who didn't matriculate to DO. So we don't know those who didn't matriculate to DO, didn't ended up entering in a US MD school. And vice versa.

Link of video:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm confused. Don't these statistics seem way too high?

The thing you are missing is the self selection. Over my time here, I once read a statistic that seems to fit. I don't have a source and I don't know where I read it here. It was that about 7% of people who claim premed their freshman year end up attending medical school.

So while 40% applied, how many of those initially wanted to apply and realized that they had no chance. And dental school is different because it is such a different job than medicine so people who want to be a physician and fail, don't really go to dental school en masse. So there is a much smaller pool of people who claim dental school early in college and end up attending.

And I think you are looking at the percentages wrong. 40% of people attending MD school and 35% of people get into DO school isn't the same as 75% of people getting into medical school. Combining would give you like 37.5% of people get into medical school. So much harder to become a physician than a dentist or lawyer.

Reactions: 1 users
Confused why this is a thread.

Reactions: 1 users