Oakland (MI) Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Insulinshock

Class of 2022
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was wondering if someone that goes to Oakland for undergrad could maybe give some insight onto any recent developments w. the medical school? The website it absolutely no help.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
From what I've heard here at MSU, both the Oakland med school and the proposed school at Western are still in the works, but tripped up a bit by the economy here in Michigan. We get a pretty good feed on how they're going because we have clinical campuses in those cities, so some of the students/faculty are twitchy about the future possibility of sharing hospitals/clinics with the new schools.
 
Once MSUCOM gets its' clinical campus in Detroit up and if Oakland gets approved for a Med school, it is going to be a hot mess around here figuring out where all these students can go for clinical rotations. Wayne's classes are huge, and even we have trouble securing hospital affiliations in these down times being the only school in Detroit with large amounts of students doing clinicals right now. I'm glad I'll be out before either of the previous things affect me 🙂
 
What do you want to know about OUWBSM? They finally have an office setup with staff their so I can ask questions for you if you would like. As far as I know it's going to be a private medical school. The facilities are already in place, they do not plan to build any facilities until 2015 (not sure if this is the exact year) where they will build a medical park consisting of a library, research building, and a classroom type of building with clinical type rooms. Recently there has been a lot of stuff being hidden, in fact Oakland is spending a lot of money on lawyers so that they don't have to release any of the plans to the other faculty at OU so there is only so much information I can find. But if you have any questions I can answer, and they are set to start taking applications this upcoming summer if they do get accredited.
 
Once MSUCOM gets its' clinical campus in Detroit up and if Oakland gets approved for a Med school, it is going to be a hot mess around here figuring out where all these students can go for clinical rotations. Wayne's classes are huge, and even we have trouble securing hospital affiliations in these down times being the only school in Detroit with large amounts of students doing clinicals right now. I'm glad I'll be out before either of the previous things affect me 🙂

MSUCOM also has a macomb set-up I believe where students get their rotations in at Henry Ford Macomb, Wayne's are huge and they have students everywhere; I'm pretty sure that OU's students will use Beaumont's facilities seeing how all the $$$$$$ for the med-school is coming from Beaumont. OU is going to be the first private medical school in the state of Michigan. There are also many hospitals such as Detroit Receiving, St Joe's, Providence, Henry Ford, Crittenton, Doctor's Hospital, and Pontiac Osteopathic that medical schools would be able to take advantage of, but I'm sure OU and the highly promoted staff they have hired have a plan for the way things will be run.

I can also tell you I have had a few profs that will be teaching in the medical school and they have some amazing professors that are very knowledgeable that will be teaching. I am actually quite impressed by the staff that will be teaching from OU's part, I haven't met anyone from Beaumont, but I know from researching @ OU and the ties there that Beaumont has some very skilled researchers that have passed along knowledge so well in the labs that I have worked at that I can only imagine how much they will be able to help medical school students.