OAT preparatory books

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mgro33

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I will start preparation for the OATs, and I was wondering if you guys suggested any useful preparatory books. Thanks!
;)

Members don't see this ad.

I WILL ALSO BE PREPARING FOR THE OAT IN FEBRUARY..I REQUESTED INFORMATION TO BE MAILED TO ME BUT I HAVE YET TO RECEIVE IT..IF YOU FIND SOMETHING THAT MIGHT HELP ME OUT PLEASE LET ME KNOW..I WILL DO THE SAME...GOOD LUCK IN THE PREPARATION

There's a OAT prep book by Lippincott, Williams and Wilkins appropriately named "preparing for the OAT". The reviews of the sciences aren't that great, but it gives you a good feel for the layout of the exam. It's usually NEVER in the bookstore, I would suggest going to barnes and noble. com or something to order it.

Most of us also used the Kaplan MCAT book to review the basic sciences, which is you took the MCAT you probably already have.

That's what I did. I didnt take a review class like some of the other students (because I didn't have the 900 dollars to take one) But, if you disciplined in your studying you should be fine.

GOOD LUCK!!

If you're interested in optometry over denistry.. definitely shadow an OD for a day or so and find out what it's really like before you make that kind of committment. You don't want to end up bitter and disenchanted like some other users on this site. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi mgro33 and tatispice,

This is my experience for preparing the OAT. I used primarily my class notes and this MCAT ExamKrackers by Jonathan Orsay. It's a really good prep book for whether you are taking MCAT or OAT. The book is really easy to understand and they only put important info so you are not wasting your time. However there are 5 Examkracker books(bio, math, chem, orgo, and physics) and each has its own problem book. I only bought the physics and orgo ones and I found them extremely useful because I scored high on MCAT and the OAT(12 science on MCAT, 370 physics and 390 orgo on OAT)

2 weeks before the OAT, I bought a mock OAT cd-rom to test myself. The cd rom is called: OAT-Optometry Admission Test Sample Exams : TopScore Pro for the OAT by ScholarWare. It was very useful for me and the questions are similar to the ones appear on OAT. The only con about the cd is its reading part. Since you have to practice on computer you cant really simulate like you are taking the actualy exam(on paper).

I did borrow the OAT prep book by Lippincott, Williams and Wilkins named "preparing for the OAT and it wasnt too good. Some of the questions are out of the OAT topic but a few people I know said they only used this book.

I think the best way to know how you can prepare the OAT is to take the OAT practice in the OAT booklet. If you have problem on a specific subject then focus on that part. I didnt study a lot for bio, math and chem because I am good at it.

Last thing is the only book above i would suggest is the examkracker book. It really boost my score. I had a C+ in Organic1 and B+ on Organic2 but I scored 390 using that book.If you have any more question you are welcome to ask/email me.

Study hard and happy holidays!

Mgo, what part of Queens are you from? I lived there for 2 years before moving to suburban philly.

My advice is to read over the review books that have been recommended, and then get the TopScore Pro OAT CD and practice taking tests until you can't stand it anymore. The material on the OAT is really not all that difficult, it's getting used to the timing and the types of questions that makes or breaks your score. It's more like a race than an exam in some ways. :rolleyes:

Good luck to you guys!

Hi guys, thanks for all of your feedback. I did take my MCATs and I have some Princeton Review books-should I use those or pick up the Exam Krackers. Also, where can I purchase the TopScore Pro OAT CD from? There is a book in the bookstore about sample exams on the OAT. But I think I'll probably get the CD instead since most of you got recommended it.
So thanks again!

P.S. Christie, I'm from Jackson Heights...where did you live when you were in Queens?

How long before the test should I start studying? 3 months? 6 months?

Mgro -- the review books you used for the MCAT will be fine. I still recommend picking up the TopScore CD, though. It really helped me get the timing down for the quantitative section!

J.opt -- 3 months before is more than enough time to study for the OAT, especially if you've had biology/chemistry/physics classes recently. I *meant* to spend 3 months preparing, but spent a really annoying (and more intensive than I had intended...) 7-days studying for it instead after I got caught up in the usual semester whirlwind. I ended up doing well (and got accepted to both schools I applied to), but wouldn't recommend my approach. ;)

Mgro33,
I think the princeton review book should be fine for you. It all comes down to if you think you have the fundamentals of the subjects. I pick up examkracker organic chemistry because I was kinda bad at organic. So if you dont feel comfortable, you can pick up the examkracker. The CD is a great buy so I think you should get it.

J.opt,
3 months is enough for you to prepare the exam. Personally, I would recommand 2months to prepare because you can study enough and not get bored(believe me....you can get a little burnout at times if you study over a long period like 3~6months)

As for the OAT, I think you will do fine because the test is more like a basic knowledge test rather than an applied knowledge test(I took the MCAT and was lucky to get 34).