OAT test preparation books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentina

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am planning to study for the OAT test this summer and do the test by the end of the summer. I am researching on the best ways to study for the test and I was wondering if any one could suggest me the best books to use for this test. Also I would like to know if you think that prep courses for OAT are necessary and actually beneficial? or should I just stick to the books and practicing a bunch??

thanks everyone!!

Members don't see this ad.

It depends a lot on how you learn and how you study. The kaplan big blue OAT book and mcat Physics book were a huge help for me. But the biggest help for me by far was chads videos. He now has a site were you can see videos for free. I've been out of school for going on 7 years and I took the OAT twice. The first time I got a 300 aa and a horrible 270 TS mainly due to Chem 250 and physics 250.

Using mainly chads videos and the books as supplements I scored a 330 aa and 320 TS with 310 in Chem and 320 in physics. Now these scores are not the greatest in the world but they do go to show how helpful chad and the books were.

Good luck on studying, take it slow and steady and you will score well. Take full, timed oat practice tests and skip around if you are stuck. It's a test of your knowledge and how well you can problem solve. Start studying now and you will be ready for summer.

I mostly studied off my university class notes: bio 1 and 2, physics 1 and 2, chem 1 and 2, organic chem, a bit of biochem. I had the campbell's biology textbook which I read a lot of, as well as my organic chem and general chem textbooks. I also got the OAT destroyer for practice questions and QR practice. You don't need to spend a lot of money on courses...I've heard they're not too helpful anyways. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends a lot on how you learn and how you study. The kaplan big blue OAT book and mcat Physics book were a huge help for me. But the biggest help for me by far was chads videos. He now has a site were you can see videos for free. I've been out of school for going on 7 years and I took the OAT twice. The first time I got a 300 aa and a horrible 270 TS mainly due to Chem 250 and physics 250.

Using mainly chads videos and the books as supplements I scored a 330 aa and 320 TS with 310 in Chem and 320 in physics. Now these scores are not the greatest in the world but they do go to show how helpful chad and the books were.

Good luck on studying, take it slow and steady and you will score well. Take full, timed oat practice tests and skip around if you are stuck. It's a test of your knowledge and how well you can problem solve. Start studying now and you will be ready for summer.

Off topic, but did you interview at Rosenberg yet?

Hi everyone, I am planning to study for the OAT test this summer and do the test by the end of the summer. I am researching on the best ways to study for the test and I was wondering if any one could suggest me the best books to use for this test. Also I would like to know if you think that prep courses for OAT are necessary and actually beneficial? or should I just stick to the books and practicing a bunch??

thanks everyone!!

Hey,

I applaud a fellow student on a similar journey, may we one day toast in success.

My advice below:

I have to agree with some of the aforementioned posts, it all depends on how you learn. Are you a book person? or do you need someone to teach you- meaning, do you learn better through lessons?

If you’re a book person, in all honesty your university books may suffice, depending on the courses you took. Otherwise you can always Kaplan, or other books out there- which I find to be way too vague.

For me personally, I learn faster, and more efficiently through video lessons. Thus, I am using 1) Master the Content (https://masterthecontent.com/optometry-admission-test ), 2) Khan Academy ( https://www.khanacademy.org/ ), 3) university books.

This combo has me feeling ultra confident, I’ll let you know how I do!