OAT weighed more than GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Elizah46

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! So I came across an OAT study guide that I found online and it said that some schools weigh the OAT more heavily than GPA. I understand that all aspects of an application is important but I was just curious since I'm going to be applying this cycle. Do you guys know any schools that weigh the OAT more?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys! So I came across an OAT study guide that I found online and it said that some schools weigh the OAT more heavily than GPA. I understand that all aspects of an application is important but I was just curious since I'm going to be applying this cycle. Do you guys know any schools that weigh the OAT more?
I know Nova holds the physics section of the OAT pretty high compared to the other sections of the OAT, and I know they use the OAT scores to gage a student since it's more standard than college GPA. But to say they weigh the OAT itself more than the GPA, I don't think so. Makes sense?

I know Nova holds the physics section of the OAT pretty high compared to the other sections of the OAT, and I know they use the OAT scores to gage a student since it's more standard than college GPA. But to say they weigh the OAT itself more than the GPA, I don't think so. Makes sense?
Yea, that's what I thought as well. I've been calling up a few admissions counselors and so far I've been hearing it's about the same, or it depends on the committee. That study guide is what got me curious. It said "some schools will do 70% OAT and 30%GPA." Sounded a little too good to be true lol

Members don't see this ad :)
SCO personally told me that they weigh the OAT more than the GPA.

Reactions: 1 user
In never understood why schools would weight the oat more than the gpa. One takes 4 years of hard work and the other takes 1 summer of hard work.

In never understood why schools would weight the oat more than the gpa. One takes 4 years of hard work and the other takes 1 summer of hard work.
Well I guess it might be because GPA can vary depending on classes taken at CC or at a university. The OAT is the same for everyone so I guess seeing how well you do on it might be a better representation of where you stand. Idk I just thought of it that way.

I was told that it's a better predictor of success in optometry school, i.e. how well you do on the NBEO exams required to obtain your OD.

Reactions: 1 user