OB/Gyn Advice for 1st rotation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OnMyWayThere

OMS-III
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I start 3rd year in a couple of weeks and want to purchase what's necessary online. I hear Blueprints is good to have, but Amazon has Blueprints Q&A, series, and others. Also, their used older editions go for $8 as opposed to used new edition for $49. Any reason to stick with the new edition?

Any advice in general for OB/Gyn rotation (especially being my first :eek:) would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

I can't comment about old versus new blueprints for ob/gyn as I just got the new edition. I would also recommend Obstretrics and Gynecology Case Files, this is a good size to bring to read on rotation, and I would also recommend First Aid for the Ob/Gyn clerkship. Some other things specific for ob/gyn:

1. Reflex hammer (used to test for toxicity of Magnessium Sulfate used for controlling HTN and as a tocolytic).
2. Birth wheel (not really essential if you know the Naegal's rule).
3. Scrubs for overnight call and when on labor floor and for gyn surgery.
4. Tape measure in cms for ob clinic to estimate GA based on uterine fundal height

Ob/gyn was my first rotation too and I had a good experience. I used blueprints (old edition, which is fine!) to study and then read casefiles the week (actually the night) before the shelf. I also bought Blueprints Q and A book on amazon (it was an older edition), but I didn't even use it. I don't think it was that useful so don't worry about purchasing an older edition of the Q and A.

The most difficult part of starting rotations is learning how things work in the hospital. The residents will probably know that this is your first rotation so hopefully they'll kinda show you the ropes. Ob/gyn is a good to start on b/c you really don't have to have a huge knowledge base coming into the rotation (or at least that is what I felt), In fact, the scope of OB/gyn is really narrow compared to Surgery or Medicine so no worries. It's also nice to start on because it is a mix of a little bit of surgery and medicine.
Before your first day on the rotation, you may want to purchase a pregnancy wheel like ChildNeuro suggested. I also carried notecards and sometimes a clipboard. I usually used my stethoscope in place of a reflex hammer. When you're delivering babies, ALWAYS, ALWAYS wear those moon shoecovers. Vaginal deliveries are messy and you may end up getting bodily fluid on your scrubs and/or shoes.
Ob/Gyn really isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Even if you don't like it, I'm sure it's better than being in a class for a good chunk of the day. In general, if you have a good attitude, ask questions, and look interested you'll probably have a good time.

Members don't see this ad :)
I start 3rd year in a couple of weeks and want to purchase what's necessary online. I hear Blueprints is good to have, but Amazon has Blueprints Q&A, series, and others. Also, their used older editions go for $8 as opposed to used new edition for $49. Any reason to stick with the new edition?

Any advice in general for OB/Gyn rotation (especially being my first :eek:) would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Hopefully you have some thick skin... and don't take those residents too seriously

I would recommend taking a look at Ob/Gyn Case Files. I felt that the clinical vignettes in Case Files were excellent preparation for the shelf exam. You can use the "Look Inside" feature on amazon.com to get a feel for the format of the book & help determine if it is right for your study-style.

There are alot of things that can go wrong in Ob/Gyn so it is a very very tense rotation. Your sanity on the rotation all depends on whether the attendings and residents treat you decently at your site or not. The worst Ob/Gyn attendings can treat you worse than on your worst day of surgery.

Prior to starting, I read the Ob/Gyn section of Boards and Wards and knew it backwards and forwards. Very useful for clinic.

A lot of OB is a system. You'll see patients in the AM, and you can help with notes and the discharges. A vaginal delivery can usually go home after 24 hrs (i.e. will probably go home soon after you see them). You can help by writing prescriptions for iron, analgesia, stool softener, etc. (depends on what your institution uses). A C-section usually after 2 days. Talking to your patients usually invovles the same questions: vaginal spotting, do you request birth control afterward, etc. Knowing Spanish is a necessity in some places, but due to the similarity of questions, you can learn it quickly or have it on one page.

For Ob triage, aside from the usual history and physical, it's good to know the basics of fetal heart monitoring, such as the appearance of late decelerations. Also know the big OB emergencies: placental abruption, placenta previa, etc. Know the indications for a C-section (the most common is prior C-section). You may get to participate in the OR, so knowing some knot tying and suturing can help. Since it's your first rotation, however, the new interns and residents will be more aggressive in doing things.

Clinic is a lot about natural fetal development. What happens at what week? What should the U/S show of the fetus? You'll be doing fundal heights, so a good marker is that you should feel the edge of the uterus at 20 weeks at the umbilicus. If there's a discrepency between gestationtial age and the fundal height, be able to form a differential (most common is bad dates used in estimating GA, but also LGA, poly/oligohydramnios, etc.). Know about AFP. Think about the mom: gestational diabetes and hypertension are BIG.

Gyn triage is all about the things that make a vagina bleed. If you really look at it, there are 4-5 common diagnoses which are what you really need to know. Virtually every woman needs a pregnancy test (unless they had a hysterectomy). If it's positive, it's time for vaginal U/S. Start thinking about spontaneous abortion, ectopic, moles, etc. If it the test is neg, then think STDs, bartholin cysts, cancer (endometrial biopsy in older women is mandatory), etc.

Gyn clinc is about chronic vaginal bleeding (e.g. fibroids), STDs, birth control, Pap smears for uterine cancer, and hormones. There's some urology as well, and Case Files has a good discussion of it. Know the indications for a hysterectomy. Know the different methods of birth control. Know about oral hormonal replacement therapy (and why it's so controversial).

Gyn-Onc is about 3 main things: endometrial, uterine, and ovarian cancer (a particularly horrible disease). Know them inside and out. Occassionally, vaginal cancer does happen, but those other 3 are huge.

Major gyn operations are mainly hysterectomies, which can be a vaginal or abdominal approach. Gyn Onc cases are usually advanced versions of those, depending on the stage (may have lymph node dissection, even intestinal resections). The minors are colposcopies, laser ablation, etc.

I think the first rotation sucks for everyone. No one knows what's going on. But just having the basics will allow you to have more fun, and if you can help out, you'll be more appreciated. Case Files is mandatory for the shelf. Blueprints (old or new) should fill in the gaps. Ob-Gyn Recall if you want to do a little more. The little red book Obstetrics, Gynecology and Infertility: Handbook for Clinicians-Resident Survival Guide by John D. Gordon is good for clinic and those 10 minutes where you're doing nothing.

No matter what, be cool. Keep your mouth shut, but if nothing's happening, talk with the midwives, nurses, residents, etc. Some want medical questions, some like In Touch. Everyone needs a kind biographer, and everyone needs a counselor (confessor/psychiatrist). If you like gambling a little, express the unexpressed thought on everyone's mind. If you're the cool one, you'll cool everyone else off.

Thanks for the great advice :) I have also placed into my schedule to go to Costco before rotations start and purchase a large carton of tissues for the crying

Reactions: 1 user
46&2 had some good advice so I have little to add.
Get as much sleep as you can. Watch the way things work. Do not take anything personally. Your most important role in the team is to pay attention. Another related role is to help things run smoothly for the rest of the team. As a surgical assistant, you will gradually become better at anticipating things. Do not wear people down.

i have to agree that ob/gyn has been my least favorite rotation, but also the easiest shelf exam... blueprints + case files + pre-test & you're good to go