Quantcast

Ob/Gyn away rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neilc

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello everyone! i am looking into getting some stateside rotations done soon. i have a good IM rotation set up, as well as possibly an ob/gyn rotation at the same place. however, this is at a big uni med center, they don't have any FMG's and the average board score is way higher than mine, so i think it may be a good place for a letter, but not an audition.

anyhow, what i am looking for are some smaller, community hospitals that would be interested in having an international student rotate through. ideally, they would also be places that have a history of being open to international students with less than stellar scores.

if any of you have a connection or an idea of a good hospital, please post it or send me a PM. i really appreciate the help!

thanks.

delphynium

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard that Yale had IMGs in the past. One of them did first a Family Practice residency before the ObGyn - I don't know if that is a sign of not so good board scores or just being undecided on a specialty right after Med school.

JHAMMOND

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Memorial Hospital of Rhode Island in Pawtucket RI has lots of FMG's, is a nice community hospital that also does OB, and has a IM and Family Medicine residency program.

Global Disrobal

Along for the ride
Moderator Emeritus
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
- UVM (Burlington, VT): Talk to the student affairs office first for paperwork material and list of rotations

- Washington Hospital Center (Washington, DC): This one is rotation dependent, but OB-Gyn should be open for you. Talk to the residency coordinator.

- Yale: They have very nice people to talk to, but the overall costs and my lack of desire to live in that region swayed me from doing a rotation there. They do however help you out with housing, etc.

- Harvard (Boston, MA): If you want to spend the $$$, then you can do a couple of electives there although I am not sure about OB-Gyn.

- AMC (Atlanta, GA): You can do alot of rotations there however students in the past have had problems with paperwork getting lost/shuffled (i.e. evaluations, California L6 forms)

- There are other places that are friendly but I don't have first hand information on them and do not want to mislead you: Wycoff in NYC, Southwest Hospital in Atlanta (Morehouse affiliate), Ronoake in Virginia, Harbor Hospital in Baltimore (charges for rotations), NIH in Washington, DC (application available on-line).

I hope this helps. By the way (I think you know this) but do NOT do rotations in Texas if you want to do residency there or practice since its a violation of their IMG policies.

Good Luck!

Diane L. Evans

SDN Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
cleveland clinic clevland oh great id and gyn rotation free housing

Sabre_DO

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, know any good program to rotate through in cali? I heard UCI is really good, but it's filled already. :(

mailee88

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a medical student at UMKC (Kansas City) I am trying to decided where to do my electives at and what to do it in...here are some ideas so far...can you let me know what you have heard about these...good elective choices...people there...amount of work...how they treat students..whether it would benefit me to go there...etc..

and if you know of any places that provide free housing other than cleveland:)? Thanks!!!

George Washington
Georgetown
UofW Seattle
Baylor Houston
UofC Denver
Boston U