OB Gyn Chances-4th year-bad situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It sounds like you've had a rough four years! I will offer you my opinion based on what I know from my residency program and what I hear about from friends at other programs. I think that many programs will "forgive " an academic misstep especially if there is a good reason for it (e.g. medical) and there is demonstrable improvement -- as seems to be your case. However, the professionalism issue may be looked at with much more caution by programs as it may suggest a " behavior problem resident". Please understand, I am not saying that you will be a problem resident, I am just saying that some programs may have this concern because of the professionalism issue mentioned in your Dean's letter.

I think the best ways to counteract this would be to do an elective at a couple of programs that you interview at and try to work directly with the program director or an influential faculty member and really wow them. At the end of the elective I would try to have a very frank discussion with them about the circumstances of your professionalism issue and how you learned from it and that you hope your performance during the elective gave them a true picture of who you are and how you would behave as a resident. I would also during this elective be as helpful, friendly and collegial as possible to the residents that you work with so that they will go to bat for you -- don't underestimate the influence residents can have on a program's match list.

Finally, do you know if any of your letter writers addessed your academic performance or professionalism issue in their letters? Sometimes, if a faculty member addresses it in a positive way and opines that they don't think this is going to present a problem for you as a resident it might help. Finally, if the Chair of your school's OB/GYN dept. or another influential faculty member really "believes in you" they might be willing to make a phone call on your behalf to help explain your situation -- but I would only use this card for the program that you really want to be at and that you think you have a good shot at.

I wish you the best and please post how things are going -- you're not the only person who applies with less than a stellar record and it's always good to hear success stories!

I think the best ways to counteract this would be to do an elective at a couple of programs that you interview at and try to work directly with the program director or an influential faculty member and really wow them. At the end of the elective I would try to have a very frank discussion with them about the circumstances of your professionalism issue and how you learned from it and that you hope your performance during the elective gave them a true picture of who you are and how you would behave as a resident. I would also during this elective be as helpful, friendly and collegial as possible to the residents that you work with so that they will go to bat for you -- don't underestimate the influence residents can have on a program's match list.

Finally, do you know if any of your letter writers addessed your academic performance or professionalism issue in their letters? Sometimes, if a faculty member addresses it in a positive way and opines that they don't think this is going to present a problem for you as a resident it might help. Finally, if the Chair of your school's OB/GYN dept. or another influential faculty member really "believes in you" they might be willing to make a phone call on your behalf to help explain your situation -- but I would only use this card for the program that you really want to be at and that you think you have a good shot at.

Thanks for the advice.

Last edited: