ob/gyn for fmgs and DOs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vipergts66

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
all things being equal, who stands a better chance at obtaining a ob/gyn residency, a FMG who has a MD, or a DO?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

vipergts66 said:
all things being equal, who stands a better chance at obtaining a ob/gyn residency, a FMG who has a MD, or a DO?

thanks

i saw a few of both on the trail. i am an IMG and had pretty much no problem getting a spot. i met a lot of great DO's on the trail, and they all seemed like stellar applicants. so, i think it is going to be program dependent, as specific programs may have a preference, but you can easily match with either

neilc said:
i saw a few of both on the trail. i am an IMG and had pretty much no problem getting a spot. i met a lot of great DO's on the trail, and they all seemed like stellar applicants. so, i think it is going to be program dependent, as specific programs may have a preference, but you can easily match with either

Hi,neilc! I read some of your posts! Did you get a prematch in ob/gyn?Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
fmdoc said:
Hi,neilc! I read some of your posts! Did you get a prematch in ob/gyn?Thanks!

yes

what is a prematch?

snowinter said:
what is a prematch?

I think that is an offer outside the match. As far as I know anyone who is an independent candidate(FMG or DO) can do this. Someone correct me if I am wrong. Did you accept the offer? If so where are you heading Neil?

Whether an FMG/IMG/DO has a better chance of matching at a program depends on the program. As for whether or not we DO applicants can accept positions outside the match, I was not aware of this if we are. Of course, I don't know everything :rolleyes: My last 2 interviews are Thursday and Friday. I'm looking forward for them to be over. Sigh.

Kadyra said:
Whether an FMG/IMG/DO has a better chance of matching at a program depends on the program. As for whether or not we DO applicants can accept positions outside the match, I was not aware of this if we are. Of course, I don't know everything :rolleyes: My last 2 interviews are Thursday and Friday. I'm looking forward for them to be over. Sigh.
Yes, I believe we can. We are considered independent applicants. 2 of my classmates (not in Ob,but in IM & Peds) were offered positions outside the match(allopathic) this year. Though both of my friends turned down the offers, want to take a chance with the match. I had no clue that this was legal until my friend told me about her experience. I too have 2 interviews left. Though mine I are bit more spread out, one next week, then at the end of the month. Just wake me when it's over :laugh: .

Flea girl said:
I think that is an offer outside the match. As far as I know anyone who is an independent candidate(FMG or DO) can do this. Someone correct me if I am wrong. Did you accept the offer? If so where are you heading Neil?

Flea girl-your answer regarding a prematch is correct.

Neilc-Congratulations on your prematch! In which state did you get it? I realize you might not want to disclose the program, but at least tell us the state...Thanks!

Thanks for the nice words guys! i appreciate them!!!

as for where i am going, like fmdoc noted, i kinda wanna keep it on the down low for now. i don't think the program wants to get emails from other candidates asking about pre match, and i don't think they want to get the emails from my sworn enemies on the international forums saying what a creep i am.

so, lets just say for now, program in the mid atlantic. if you want more details, pm me!

good luck to all of you....it is almost over!!!

Flea girl said:

yep, i took it! it was from a top choice (number 1 or 2 depending on the day), so i really wouldn't gain anything from waiting for the match. heading off to the east side of the country for a while....

more details after match day...best of luck with your remaining interviews

:confused: I'm confused... is the pre-match something just for IMG/DO applicants? Are US grads accepting positions pre-match? I have never really heard of this before... and honestly, it doesn't really sound fair... could you spend all your time and energy talking to a program telling them you are ranking them first, doing second looks, etc and then they have already given away most of their positions pre-match? :mad:

Anyone want to clear this up?

As I understand it:

MD applicants from US schools go through the NRMP and are bound by NRMP rules which specifically prohibit applicants and programs from making agreements outside the match. Because IMG's and DO's do not have to go through the NMRP, they are considered Independant Applicants and are not bound by these same rules (Although the argument could probably be made that if registered for the NRMP, they are under the same obligations as any other applicant).

Occasionally, IMG's and DO's are offered contracts pre-match. But there is no "organized" pre-match, it probably happens infrequently (especially relative to the number of positions filled through the match), and NRMP applicants' efforts to match into top-choice programs are likely not jeopardized by pre-match contracts.
I doubt programs are making random pre-match offers solely in an effort to make sure they fill slots. If you like them and they like you, chances are, you'll both get what you want.

actually, a_dull_boy has it mostly...the only difference is that img's/do's do participate via NRMP, but for some reason, as "independent applicants", we are not required to stay within NRMP. so, we can get a position and drop out of the match, when US seniors have to stay in it....actually, US grads that are not graduating seniors are also independent, and can get a spot outside of the match.

as for not fair, i don't really see that. the hospitals that typically offer it are usually using it to get a guarantee that a position is filling. the UCSF's and such are not typically offering it. it is used as leverage to get maybe a higher quality independent applicant.....they can offer an applicant the spot, and take all the guesswork out of the match, and the program may get somebody that could have matched at a better place.

the main thing is that these are usually at places that have IMG's/DO's already. most places would not pass the chance to get an american grad to simply pre match an IMG/DO.

the main thing is that these are usually at places that have IMG's/DO's already. most places would not pass the chance to get an american grad to simply pre match an IMG/DO.[/QUOTE]

Neilc,
congrats! I think you will be a great person to work with & the program is lucky to have you.. however they obtained you. I'm mainly saying this from all the helpful/thoughtful replies you always put on SDN. I am sure you are also happy with the program --since you accepted the position.

good luck everyone!
:love: :love:

snowinter said:
the main thing is that these are usually at places that have IMG's/DO's already. most places would not pass the chance to get an american grad to simply pre match an IMG/DO.

Neilc,
congrats! I think you will be a great person to work with & the program is lucky to have you.. however they obtained you. I'm mainly saying this from all the helpful/thoughtful replies you always put on SDN. I am sure you are also happy with the program --since you accepted the position.

good luck everyone!
:love: :love:[/QUOTE]

you are the bomb! thanks for all the sweetness, i truly appreciate it. maybe i will get lucky, and you will be matching with me! (i kinda don't think many people on SDN interviewed there, but i am crossing my fingers!)

i am super stoked with my choice. nervous as hell about being a (gulp!) :scared: intern, but very happy with the place that chose to take a chance on me

Usually an american graduate has a better chance but there are programs that will not accept applications from DO's. I will not name them.

If you are a DO look at their faculty list and resident list if DO's are on these then they usually are DO accepting.

One of my classmates just signed a contract with an allopathic ob/gyn residency. I'm jealous. I wish I knew where I was going!

Diane L. Evans said:
Usually an american graduate has a better chance but there are programs that will not accept applications from DO's. I will not name them.

Just wondering why you wouldn't share this information if it is fact. If it's not factual and documented, why bring it up? It might save some of your future colleagues some significant time and effort to share information like that. It's certainly not something that programs advertise.

I have heard firsthand from former faculty that the FP program in Austin used to toss DO applications without looking at them, but there are now DOs in their program, as there also are in the OBGYN program at the same hospital.

Things change, fortunately. :)

because my program director got a call from an institution saying that I was making a comment they did not agree with. So I refrain from making any comments that would cause this again.

Diane L. Evans said:
because my program director got a call from an institution saying that I was making a comment they did not agree with. So I refrain from making any comments that would cause this again.

Fair enough.