• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

• How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

wazzuup

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2002
Status (Visible)
my brother is interested in doing ob/gyn. what's the trend for the difficulty in getting into ob/gyn?

what's the board score needed? above or below 200? or even higher than 220?

any classic "strong" rotation places where he can get awesome letters of recommendation?

Global Disrobal

Along for the ride
Moderator Emeritus
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 24, 2002
Texas
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Its getting easier to get into...

The board scores depend on his overall application and the places he is applying to, but being over 200 will not hurt.

As for strong rotations/LOR-he should try to hit up an institution that he is interested in and secure a LOR from them. Other than that, reading Iserson's Guide to Residency will help him in answering his other questions.

Good Luck

brows_kat

15+ Year Member
Feb 6, 2004
Status (Visible)
my advisor informed me that there were more spots this year than applicants, so this technically means that ALL ob-gyn applicants should have a spot, given that they're willing to scramble.

however, the more desirable programs, whether for reputation or geographic reasons, are still rather competitive. I would definitely recommend over 200 if at all possible to secure a spot, and over 220 for the more competitive academic programs. Of course, the board score is usually intended only for initial screening purposes when deciding whether to offer interviews. Most interviews I had concentrated on other aspects of the application. Scores don't mean much in a field intended to be primary care. They want to see that you're willing to work and will play well with others...

As for electives, I agree with global. A letter and good rapport with residents and attendings from your desired institution can go a LONG ways. (Of course, match day isn't here yet, so I'm probably getting ahead of myself here...) Also, I've heard that a letter from an institution known to be of a higher caliber than the program you want can also be viewed highly. So, for example, if you're looking at the SF bay area, a good letter from UCSF would put u at an advantage for the other programs in the Bay Area.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.