OB/GYN Match Changes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fedfan1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

The administration of my school had no idea about this, and said when I told them that this was the first they had heard of it.

How does this change OB matching, and then couples matching with someone going into OB? How quickly will the specialty be able to implement all of these changes?

Members don't see this ad.

I wish every field was required to do this. It's ridiculous programs are allowed to send out interview invites and if you don't accept it within minutes of getting it then you miss out on the interview.

Reactions: 10 users

The administration of my school had no idea about this, and said when I told them that this was the first they had heard of it.

How does this change OB matching, and then couples matching with someone going into OB? How quickly will the specialty be able to implement all of these changes?
There are still some kinks to be worked out. While 72 seconds to respond is clearly not right, 72 hours is way too much!
If there are a significant number of unfilled positions this year, there will be a re-assessment.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
There are still some kinks to be worked out. While 72 seconds to respond is clearly not right, 72 hours is way too much!
If there are a significant number of unfilled positions this year, there will be a re-assessment.

Hell just make it 24 across the board. I feel like that would be extremely reasonable. Just make it so people don't have to immediately scrub out of a case or leave a patient's room the moment they hear the email alert.

Reactions: 10 users
Hell just make it 24 across the board. I feel like that would be extremely reasonable. Just make it so people don't have to immediately scrub out of a case or leave a patient's room the moment they hear the email alert.
Seriously it’s a mess. Unprofessional and awkward but more than mandatory

Reactions: 3 users

I had to pull off the highway to schedule an interview. They filled up incredibly fast.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Literally just making it two hours would be fine.

Reactions: 1 users
I think having multiple common release dates is a big thing. It lets applicants know in 1-2 days how much interest they have. A friend of mine went on 22 interviews and admitted that 5-7 of them were programs she wasn’t really interested in. Those came first so she took the first dates. Now she’s not even ranking some. What a waste of time and interview spot for the program.

But if they can only send out the number of invites as actual interview spots, why is it too much?

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

But if they can only send out the number of invites as actual interview spots, why is it too much?

It delays the whole process to the point of a standstill.
There was a lack of fluidity and uniformity of process this year. Some programs adopted the APGO/CREOG recommendations, some did not. Some said they did and did not.
We will know what the ultimate effect was during Match.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
I certainly hope this happens for the next match. The common release dates would be a huge benefit. I imagine if I got invitations from my top 20 programs on the first release date, I would not rush to accept invitations at programs in further down my list.

I remember I missed TWO interviews invites because I saw the email 5 minutes after the fact. So, I did this exact thing for my third invite.
I don't think I missed any interviews this way when applying for residency or fellowship. I didn't even know it was a thing when I was applying for residency. Read about it on the surgery forums a while back.
Literally just making it two hours would be fine.
What if you're on surgery rotation and stuck in a Whipple?
It delays the whole process to the point of a standstill.
There was a lack of fluidity and uniformity of process this year. Some programs adopted the APGO/CREOG recommendations, some did not. Some said they did and did not.
We will know what the ultimate effect was during Match.
Thanks for the explanation. Still seems weird to me, the application season is months long. Is there something unique to OB/Gyn where this whole thing has been an issue? Why would a program send out more invites than they have interview slots for?

• Hmm
I don't think I missed any interviews this way when applying for residency or fellowship. I didn't even know it was a thing when I was applying for residency. Read about it on the surgery forums a while back.

What if you're on surgery rotation and stuck in a Whipple?

Thanks for the explanation. Still seems weird to me, the application season is months long. Is there something unique to OB/Gyn where this whole thing has been an issue? Why would a program send out more invites than they have interview slots for?

It's definitely a thing, especially in the smaller and more competitive specialties. It is not unique to ob/gyn, although they seem to be working the hardest to improve the situation.

If you're stuck in a Whipple, hopefully you've pre-written some email drafts and given your friend your gmail password so he/she can respond within 5 minutes. Or, better, don't do a busy rotation between Sept-Jan.

Programs have all the power and are in a position to act selfishly. They want all of their interview slots filled, and the easiest thing to do is send out a whole bunch of invites and see what sticks.

I don't think I missed any interviews this way when applying for residency or fellowship. I didn't even know it was a thing when I was applying for residency. Read about it on the surgery forums a while back.What if you're on surgery rotation and stuck in a Whipple?Thanks for the explanation. Still seems weird to me, the application season is months long. Is there something unique to OB/Gyn where this whole thing has been an issue? Why would a program send out more invites than they have interview slots for?

This entire interview season has involved rushing to my phone following an email alert to accept an invitation. One I was only able to sign up for a waitlist spot (that never materialized into an interview) after taking a mere minute to get to my phone. All of this in a noncompetitive specialty.

I interviewed at a program that sent out more interviews than they had space for, and they filled up in 5-15 minutes and people were mad because they didn’t get a spot.

This program is in the middle of my rank list, and I view it as equal to about 3 other programs. So yes, I took that into account and ranked them last out of that group of 4 programs. If they’re gonna treat their applicants like this, imagine how they’re gonna treat their residents.

Reactions: 2 users