OB/Gyn Residency with a family

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UMMS FMD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay... another question. I'm a male M4 who's seriously considering a career in OB/Gyn. One of my hesitations is the residency work hours. I'm married with 2 young children and am concerned that the hours will be excessive. I'm currently trying to decide whether to apply into anesthesia vs. OB/Gyn and am having a terrible time making a decision. Have any of you experienced anything similar?

Thanks for your help!!!

Members don't see this ad.

anesthesia!! do a ROAD residency.

my husband is a 2nd yr ob/gyn resident. we have three kids, 4 and under. it's tough, i wont lie. the first year was terrible. terrible i say! it was hard for me, the kids and for my husband.

the first year of residency is always hard. but when you add famliy to the mix, it's even harder.

the hours suck, and depending on the program, NOT family friendly.

PM me if you want more specifics. good luck in what ever path you choose!

oh, and no matter what the conditions of residency, pick something YOU will be happy in. happiness trickles down to your family. (this year, sofar..we're much happier:))

Does geography matter? If you really can't choose, maybe you should try to match into either program, but only in areas where you'll have a good support network (read: grandparents to watch the kids when the wife needs a break).

Just a lowly premed mother of one throwing in her 2 cents. I'd certainly be upfront about the family while interviewing for positions, but I've never been great at pretending to be a yessir, whatever it takes person. I'd also be willing to make short term sacrifices for long term benefits, especially if the benefits are having the job I really love vs the job I would tolerate.