OB-Gyn Shelf Exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Books Preferred for Ob-Gyn Shelf Exam

• Blueprints

Votes: 24 70.6%
  • NMS

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • First Aid

• PreTest

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Boards and Wards

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Appleton and Lange

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Resources:

UWise (highly recommended)
UWorld (highly recommended)
CaseFiles - completed most of it, wish I finished it all (recommended)
FirstAid OB/GYN - used as reference for specific topics
BluePrints - end of book exam only; contained some HY topics
PreTest - completed 1/2; 'okay' resource
NBME 1 and 2 - few repeat questions (recommended)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
used uwise and kaplan qbank got 85 raw.
have uwise subscription.anyone needs uwise question PM me.

have uwise subscription. anyone needs uwise questions PM ME.

Members don't see this ad :)
Raw score 98
Skimmed the first few chapters of Blueprints as a refresher at the beginning of the rotation. Studied from Case Files from then on. Took all the UWise questions in the 3 days before the shelf. After you have basics down, UWise is probably the most high-yield in terms of nitpicky questions, IMO.

Hey all, was trying to figure out my gameplan since my OB rotation is coming up.

I noticed on amazon that there was a Step up to OBGyn that was released in July 2014. Has anyone used it? There surprisingly isn't any reviews on amazon, which may or may not be a good thing... I was planning on using blueprints vs Step up as a base for the obgyn rotation (plus case files).

Thanks!

Can't find my post in here, but used all of UW, gyn section of online med ed, 90% of blueprints, and about 1/2 to 2/3 of UWise. Made a 90 raw

I start my OB rotation today. Been reading this forum and the consensus is blue prints + Uworld + uwise?
I ordered case files as well. Anyone think this is good to read as well?

I start my OB rotation today. Been reading this forum and the consensus is blue prints + Uworld + uwise?
I ordered case files as well. Anyone think this is good to read as well?
I did some case files and it was pretty great for the shelf. A lot of my classmates used it as a primary text for their studying and say it worked great. Definitely think between that and uWise you should be solid

I did some case files and it was pretty great for the shelf. A lot of my classmates used it as a primary text for their studying and say it worked great. Definitely think between that and uWise you should be solid
Great thanks!
I also ordered blueprints for downtime/ as a reference

How much pediatrics is on the OB GYN shelf? The required text for the clerkship has a chapter "immediate care of the newborn". I could see some of this information covered but am unsure to what extent obstetrics covers pediatric information.

Last edited:
Case Files, UWise, UW, each 1x. got like 100 pages into blueprints but just couldn't stomach it, too much text. Had a lot of good instruction during the rotation, one of my attendings just did her recertification so she was fresh on all the weird "boards" concepts, and I feel like I got a lot of the questions based on stuff she mentioned on rounds and whatever.

91, which was much higher than I expected coming out of the room.

Really pay attention on your rotation... the review books/Qbanks are good, but the shelf exams and I felt like OB/Gyn in particular, really ask for gut feeling responses, and you only develop that 'gut feeling' by honing your clinical skills on the wards. Common things appear commonly, even though that bs shelf question is really trying to push you in that other direction...

Case Files, UWise, UW, each 1x. got like 100 pages into blueprints but just couldn't stomach it, too much text. Had a lot of good instruction during the rotation, one of my attendings just did her recertification so she was fresh on all the weird "boards" concepts, and I feel like I got a lot of the questions based on stuff she mentioned on rounds and whatever.

91, which was much higher than I expected coming out of the room.

Really pay attention on your rotation... the review books/Qbanks are good, but the shelf exams and I felt like OB/Gyn in particular, really ask for gut feeling responses, and you only develop that 'gut feeling' by honing your clinical skills on the wards. Common things appear commonly, even though that bs shelf question is really trying to push you in that other direction...
care to elaborate then, my rotation has been awful. No matter how proactive I have been the attendings and residents have made it clear that they hate med students!

care to elaborate then, my rotation has been awful. No matter how proactive I have been the attendings and residents have made it clear that they hate med students!
UWorld might be challenging, but there is always a single right answer and 4 incorrect ones that can be gleaned from the question. For the shelf many questions are ambiguous, seemingly leaving 2+ correct answers. So you truly do have to guess the "best" choice often. And I feel like that ability to guess is developed more on the floors than Qbanks, which are definitely necessary but limited.

Members don't see this ad :)
Shelf Grade: 90
Resources: Case Files, Uwise
OB NBME done 1 day before shelf: 74

I read case files and took notes on it while going through, ended up being around ~15 pages of double spaced 1 liners.

Uwise: Did all the questions for Units 1-7. Skipped the comprehensive questions because I didn't have time. Took 1 liners like I did for case files. Had around 5 pages of DS info.

Took the NBME before I reviewed my notes. We also have lectures at my hospital, which I think is an important fact to include for reviews, since 2 resources for 1 person may not lead to the same results for another. Shelf was actually pretty tough IMO. Felt like surgery as far as difficulty, just not as bad because in this case the material was actually focused to OBGYN as opposed to taking bits from other specialties.

Scaled Score: 85
NBME 1: 82, NBME 2: 82
Resources: UWise x2, UWorld x1 + incorrects, blueprints end comprehensive exam questions, read about 10 cases from casefiles

The test was really random and vague, I thought UWise ,UWorld, and NBMEs were good enough to score in the 80s but another source is needed to break into the 90s. If I had to do it again I would probably read case files instead of going through UWise a second time.

Yep! I think at this point there's only not a dedicated NBME thread for FM.

Hey Kirbymiester! Do you know if there is another link to this page? When I try to use this link, it takes me to an error page...!

Edited to add - I quoted the wrong part of the message, sorry! Just wondering if there is a working link to the dedicated thread for OBGYN NBME exams?

Hey Kirbymiester! Do you know if there is another link to this page? When I try to use this link, it takes me to an error page...!

Edited to add - I quoted the wrong part of the message, sorry! Just wondering if there is a working link to the dedicated thread for OBGYN NBME exams?

Uhmmm...you're posting in the "dedicated thread for Ob-Gyn NBMEs".

Last edited:

Unfortunately, the threads I was talking about that were dedicated to each subject's NBMEs were shut down because the content infringed on copyright. I may be able to help you out if you had any particular questions though. Feel free to PM me.

Uhmmm...you're posting in the "dedicated thread for Ob-Gyn NBMEs".
Well if you can't help with that, can you give me info on how to get to the SDN forums?

"NBMEs" are what we call the practice exams available for purchase for these shelf exams.

Last edited:
Case Files, UWise, UWorld. Tried about 50 pages of blueprints before I gave up on that.

What I did to prep:
1. Blueprints x1 (recommend but Case files is probably less dense and covers the same info)
2. UWise x1 (highly recommended; covered all the info BP didn't)
3. NBME 1(77) and 2 (64) (highly recommended, but the real deal was definitely harder)

Some of the topics on the shelf: phases of labor (very nitpicky so know these well!), IUD placement, contraind to emergency contraception, sumatriptan in preg, NSTs, fetal hydrops, interpreting US finding, enteroceles, pap screening for vag hys for CIn3, uterine rupture, choriocaecinoma, maternal fever, fascial dehiscence, UTIs, STDs, and some weird step 1 throwback questions.

This clerkship has been a giant cluster**** and so I am not expecting much.

Final score- 81 --> 81%

Last edited:
So I'm definitely using UWorld for the shelf and UWise as well, but are there any other good question resources? I'm hearing the UWise is getting out of date and that Pretest is poor for OB. Anything else I can use? I do plan on doing all of Uworld with extensive note taking.

Thanks!

anybody have the nbme exams in pdf? please PM me. thanks.

Took this a few weeks ago and got the score back recently. I had a fairly busy rotation, so I was pretty worried about the shelf.

Resources:
Case files- read it once while taking notes and I reviewed the notes a few days before the exam. Excellent resource.
UWorld- ~85% the first time through. I reviewed the tables and algorithms the day before. Great resource, but it isn't enough by itself IMO.
NBME forms 1 and 2- 90 and 96 respectively

Exam:
I thought it was pretty challenging. I think I ended up marking like 1/3 of the exam. Important topics were risk factors for the different gyn cancers and OB stuff (case files is great because it gives tables of risk factors for the OB stuff as well as some gyn stuff), contraception, STDs, postpartum fever, screening stuff, dysmenorrhea and amenorrhea. Make sure you know the steps in management for amenorrhea and precocious puberty. I felt like the resources I used were enough for the shelf, especially because it was my last one for the year and the cumulative knowledge of 3rd year really helped. I had some medicine, peds and psych questions, but the NBME likes throwing random questions from other specialties into shelf exams, so I wasn't surprised.

Score:

Good luck!

Last edited:
I may just be checking the wrong site but according to this https://www.apgo.org/student/uwise2/323.html non member subscription cost for uwise is $1450 !
are people really paying so much??
If you are US MD, you can get it for free through your school email usually.

It is not worth that. They are similar in difficulty but not worded the same as the real deal. I would do UW and Case Files and Clinical Mastery forms.

It was not nearly as bad as others have said to me. Really know risk factors for various cancers, STDs, vaginal bleeding now what?, and the various procedures to do for this and that and when.....

Case Files x 3
Uwise x 1
UW x 1

I think really nailing down stuff with one last read through Case Files the day before the exam was crucial. It was so fresh in mind. By the end of 3rd year, you should have good idea of how the questions are going to be asked.

91st percentile. Only used Case Files, UWise, UWorld. I did all of the questions and took about 20 pages of notes that I reviewed constantly the last 2 weeks of the clerkship.

My test was pretty straightforward, risk factors were tested heavily. I was surprised how short most of the stems were, the shortest of any shelf during my third year(this was my last clerkship).

I think knowing those 3 resources inside out and testing pretty well could get you a really good score.

Quick question for all those that have offered advice--did you find the UWise questions very difficult the first time around? I have finished Case Files and a ton of Blueprints, but still getting rocked on a lot of questions..

Quick question for all those that have offered advice--did you find the UWise questions very difficult the first time around? I have finished Case Files and a ton of Blueprints, but still getting rocked on a lot of questions..

uwise was pretty tough

Last edited:
has anyone done DIT for Obgyn? It's 99 dollars but haven't heard any reviews about it, perhaps it's new. Please reply if you have any opinions!

has anyone done DIT for Obgyn? It's 99 dollars but haven't heard any reviews about it, perhaps it's new. Please reply if you have any opinions!
Save your money, case Files obgyn and APGO uWise is where it's at. 80+ on your shelf easily

Save your money, case Files obgyn and APGO uWise is where it's at. 80+ on your shelf easily
Thank you! I am already doing the other 2 but I learn well from videos (loved DIT and Kaplan during Step study). Just seeing if it was worth it. :) Thanks again!

Thank you! I am already doing the other 2 but I learn well from videos (loved DIT and Kaplan during Step study). Just seeing if it was worth it. :) Thanks again!
The online Med ed videos are pretty helpful and they are free. None of them are too long and they really hit the main points on each topic I think. I'm like you and need some lecturing/visuals and this has been very helpful to go along with Case files/uwise!

The online Med ed videos are pretty helpful and they are free. None of them are too long and they really hit the main points on each topic I think. I'm like you and need some lecturing/visuals and this has been very helpful to go along with Case files/uwise!
Thank you that is very helpful! :)

Hey all,

I'm trying to gauge my progress on how I may do on the shelf. Could anyone comment about more or less the % of questions they were getting correct on Uwise and UW and how that correlated to their shelf raw score? Obviously I know it will be a rough number, but this is my first shelf and I have no point of comparison.

Right now I got ~70-80's on UWise (earlier in block) and 82% (ave was 74%) on my first block of UW. I'm shooting for an 80 raw. Does that seem reasonable or am I way off?

Thanks!

EDIT: In case anyone was interested in an update:

NBME 1: 13 wrong (raw 80ish?)
NBME 2: 5 wrong (raw 90?)
shelf: 94 raw

So those % on UW/UWise were pretty solid in the end!

Last edited:
Was it just me or was the nbme a billion times easier than uwise?

UWise is crazy hard in my opinion. I think a lot of people would fail if passing was equivalent to the 70% passing threshold on UWise. NBME 1 made me feel considerably better. Still want to raise my score by a little bit by the time of the shelf, but I'm not feeling terrible like I was with UWise.

Does anyone have a copy of Case Files 4th edition pdf they would like to share with me thanks.

I did CaseFiles front to back and finished Uwise. Scored a 69 on my practice NBME.

Failed the shelf. :( Feeling so disheartened. No idea what to study for my retake.

I did CaseFiles front to back and finished Uwise. Scored a 69 on my practice NBME.

Failed the shelf. :( Feeling so disheartened. No idea what to study for my retake.

Really sorry to hear. The obgyn shelf was frustrating in the sense that I thought there was no good way to study for it from the current resources. UWise was massively overrated IMO - lots of nitpicky questions that are never bound to show up along with crappy explanations. Also Case Files is a decent overview but the real shelf goes beyond the scenarios presented. Blueprints is trash since it's just a wall of text.

If I were you I would do the obgyn section of UW. It's far from comprehensive and some questions are too easy but at least you get good explanations and it's helpful with some of the ob stuff. Also I'd bite the bullet and get both NBME's and do them. Those questions are closest to the real thing (although easier), but you will likely see 2-3 word for word repeats and it will give you some practice. Go through Case Files again and redo your weakest sections on UWise and try to glean the important points.

Good luck!

So sorry to hear that. We are doing a case study this month on students who failed their shelf exams using existing prep material. It would include a free subscription to our shelf exam questions and reporting back your score (all anonymously through SDN PM) after your retake. Please send a PM if you're interested.

got a 99 w/ case files, blueprints and uwise, all 2x. First shelf of the year.

my frined got the same score and she was only studying from summary of ACOG bulletins that she took from her previous senior they both got from amazon ebook
ACOG Bulletins Summaries Manual
Amazon product

Anyone have any experience with PreTest for OBGYN?

I did PreTest and though I loved it as a resource to study from, it helped me learn a lot especially since I didn't study from a text/lectures, the amount of detail screwed me over a little on the exam. It made me doubt certain answers I knew to be correct from UW/Uwise because of minutia discussed in the explanations. If you are interested in OB/GYN definitely do pretest, but for exam practice I would skip the OB section in that book and just do GYN.

please can anyone give me UWISE access for a week, shelf coming up soon. thanks

I recently took the NBME OB-GYN shelf exam and wanted to post about my experience.

OB-GYN is an 8 week clerkship at our school (4 weeks clinic and 4 weeks in patient [L&D, surgery, ...]). Most students use uworld, uwise, and either blueprints/case files.

The sources I used were:
- Blueprints OB-GYN - 6th edition - x 3 passes
- Obstetrics and Gynecology by Beckmann - 7th edition - This book is essentially a companion to uWISE (not necessary if you're doing uWISE) - x 3 passes
- uWISE - APGO question bank (free subscription with a school email) - ~600 questions and a few comprehensive exams - x 2 passes of questions, many passes of notes
- uworld - 225 questions - x 3 passes of questions, many passes of notes.

Strategy for studying:
I read my first pass through Blueprints and the Beckmann text, usually 3-5 chapters of each per day. On my first pass, I made sure to highlight things that I knew I had to re-read (and constantly revisit) to get a complete fund of knowledge (e.g., risk factors for placenta previa, treatment algorithms for endometriosis, evaluation of amenorrhea/DUB/etc., ...). I made sure to stick to my reading schedule so that I would be able to read subsequent passes through those books faster (I generally tend to preferentially read my highlighting and notes). I started uWISE (5-8 modules a day) and uworld (untimed, tutor, unused blocks of 30/day) starting in week 3, and wrote notes for questions that I got wrong/correct for the wrong reason. I essentially had all the reading and questions done by week 5 of my clerkship which allowed me multiple passes at each of those resources. I find that I study less as the clerkships wear on, so I find this strategy beneficial for me.

In retrospect, the Beckmann text is redundant if you do uWISE. So, most may feel like reading it would be redundant (I agree). I read it because I like to read the same material presented in different ways (within reason). As someone had mentioned above, blueprints is a wall of text, but if reading a review text suits your learning style, then it's the correct book for you. In contrast to the other books in the blueprints series (e.g., pediatrics blueprints), the material is somewhat comprehensive, and it's a one-stop shop for a lot of things you need to know for the shelf. I can't comment on case-files: the style doesn't jive with my study habits and I never opened the book.

Shelf exam:
I felt that the majority (>60%) of my shelf exam was non-obstetrics (gynecology, development, ...) and 30% was obstetrics. There were a few peds questions (neonatology) which were "low hanging fruit" according to my friends who had already had peds.

Things to know cold for the shelf:
- Indications for who gets a C-section
- Interpretation of fetal heart tones
- work-up for STDs - Know the exact test (for what do you get a wet mount v. KOH prep, ...)
- work-up for amenorrhea (primary and secondary)
- work-up for dysfunctional/abnormal uterine bleeding
- "Is it placenta previa, vasa previa, placental abruption, or uterine rupture?"
- Knowing the stages of development: "Is this patient undergoing precocious puberty?"
- Distinguishing between different causes of hirsuitisim and virilization in patients (PCOS, CAH, Leydig-sertoli tumor, ...)
- Answering the following question "is it endometriosis/adenomyosis/leiomyoma/ovarian torison/ectopic/PID/molar pregnancy ?"

Surprises:
- Very few (5-8) questions on cancers, screening, and risk factors for certain conditions
- Very few questions on breast pathology
- Straightforward presentation for certain conditions (previa, ectopic pregnancy, ...)

Result: >99th* percentile, raw score - 99 (*I hate the term 100th percentile).

Reflection: As with the other high stakes tests (boards, shelf exams, ...), I find that sticking to as few resources as possible that cover the breath of the material and going through them in an organized an deliberate fashion really helps build the fund of knowledge that one can build upon. The hours on our clerkship weren't too bad (11-14 hours days inpatient, 8a-5p outpatient) with minimal weekend obligations. I was able to study 3-4 hours a day early in the clerkship and a little less (but a lot faster) near the end.

Please post or PM me with any questions! Good luck to all! :)

Reactions: 3 users
Can anyone who recently took the OBGYN shelf report back as to what the national mean reported by the NBME was? Our school told us that the mean for the last group was a 82 which seems ridiculously high for a shelf, but after seeing some of the insane scores on this thread (damn Trogdor)....maybe not?